The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

10 Year Anniversary

Forums General Melanoma Community 10 Year Anniversary

Participant

So I was speaking with a doctor a couple days about my medical history and suddenly a revelation hit me.  This month marks my 10 years as a melanoma survivor. 

I'm always impressed with the stage I folks on here asking questions and seeking information.  At the time of my stage I diagnosis 10 years ago I was oblivious to the severity.  I was a Marine at the time getting ready to deploy and I remember thinking at the time, "OK doc cut this stuff out so I can go on my way."  It wasn't until the follow-up appointment when the doctor said, "Well the good news is you have about a 95% 5 year survival chance at this point” that I realized there was a little more to this situation than I thought. 

In some respects it's been a hard earned 10 years but it's also been a hell of a run.  Marriage, kids, new career, and tons of memories along the way.  I hate melanoma and all the pain it’s caused me and my loved ones.  I’d do anything to have never had it in my life but I will say it’s made me a better person and I intend to live as much life as I have left to the fullest.  Looking forward to the next 10 years.

Brian

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        Eileensulliv
        Participant

Congrats, Brian!!! What a great feeling, and thank you for sharing this news! As I sit and wait for my CT scan, this made me smile from ear-to-ear!

Eileensulliv
          Participant

Congrats, Brian!!! What a great feeling, and thank you for sharing this news! As I sit and wait for my CT scan, this made me smile from ear-to-ear!

Scooby123
              Participant

Wishing you good scans Eileen.

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                Participant

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                  Participant

scooby123❤️

keepthefaith11
                    Participant
                      Thinking positive thoughts for a good scan Eileen!!
                      keepthefaith11
                      Participant
                        keepthefaith11
                        Participant
                          BrianP
                          Participant

Thanks Eileen.  Prayer coming your way for good results today.

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Brian

Eileensulliv
                              Participant

Scooby123
                                Participant

So pleased for you Brain, nice to know that guys like you are still here and supporting others. I look back on this forum few years back and wounder what has happened too them due to no posting. I know some want to just get on with there lives and I do not blame them, but it's also nice for us fighting knowing good news is out there. Thank you for you help and advice always means a lot.

scooby123❤️

BrianP
                                    Participant

Thanks Scooby.  Hope you are feeling well.

BrianP
                                      Participant

BrianP
                                        Participant

Scooby123
                                        Participant

So pleased for you Brain, nice to know that guys like you are still here and supporting others. I look back on this forum few years back and wounder what has happened too them due to no posting. I know some want to just get on with there lives and I do not blame them, but it's also nice for us fighting knowing good news is out there. Thank you for you help and advice always means a lot.

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                                          Participant

scooby123❤️

keepthefaith11
                                            Participant
                                              Brian, thank you for posting this. Always so awesome to hear positive stories and such a great attitude!

I have to say that even though I am not the one with melanoma, my dad is, this board and everyone’s support and insights has kept me going through this process so far. I found myself talking to my dad today about ippi using some of your first names here on the board. Eventually he asked me who I was talking about. “Oh, my friends on the discussion board”, I said, realizing the bond I feel with with everyone here. So, thank you!

BrianP
                                                Participant

Couldn't agree more.  I didn't get involved with this board until I progressed to Stage III in 2011.  Since then it as been an integral part of my journey.  I can't even express how much this board has meant to me and helped me.

BrianP
                                                  Participant

Couldn't agree more.  I didn't get involved with this board until I progressed to Stage III in 2011.  Since then it as been an integral part of my journey.  I can't even express how much this board has meant to me and helped me.

BrianP
                                                    Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                    Participant
                                                      Brian, thank you for posting this. Always so awesome to hear positive stories and such a great attitude!

I have to say that even though I am not the one with melanoma, my dad is, this board and everyone’s support and insights has kept me going through this process so far. I found myself talking to my dad today about ippi using some of your first names here on the board. Eventually he asked me who I was talking about. “Oh, my friends on the discussion board”, I said, realizing the bond I feel with with everyone here. So, thank you!

keepthefaith11
                                                      Participant

jenny22
                                                        Participant

HI Brian-

10 years is a long time…I guess we dont think much about this at the beginning with a stage 1 diagnosis…..

I  hope you'll be posting for many more 10 year anniversaries…..

All the best!

jenny

jenny22
                                                          Participant

HI Brian-

10 years is a long time…I guess we dont think much about this at the beginning with a stage 1 diagnosis…..

All the best!

jenny

vivian
                                                              Participant

Congratulations, Brian!  I know you have earned every second of those ten years, and I am so happy that they have been filled with joy to match the troubles.  Certainly hope to hear from you on your 20 year anniversary.

Fondly,

Lear

vivian
                                                                Participant

Congratulations, Brian!  I know you have earned every second of those ten years, and I am so happy that they have been filled with joy to match the troubles.  Certainly hope to hear from you on your 20 year anniversary.

Fondly,

Lear

vivian
                                                                  Participant

Fondly,

Lear

jenny22
                                                                  Participant

HI Brian-

All the best!

jenny

DZnDef
                                                                    Participant

Brian!  Congratulations on an important anniversary!  May you celebrate many more to come!

I'm always impressed with and in awe of folks that decide to place their lives on the line in defense of this country and all she stands for.  Thank you for your service, sir.

DZnDef
                                                                      Participant

Brian!  Congratulations on an important anniversary!  May you celebrate many more to come!

I'm always impressed with and in awe of folks that decide to place their lives on the line in defense of this country and all she stands for.  Thank you for your service, sir.

DZnDef
                                                                        Participant

Mat
                                                                          Participant

Brian, well said!

Mat
                                                                            Participant

Brian, well said!

Mat
                                                                              Participant

Brian, well said!

Bubbles
                                                                                Participant

Congrats, Brian! But, even better….I plan to raise a glass in salute of your next ten! Love, c

Bubbles
                                                                                  Participant

Congrats, Brian! But, even better….I plan to raise a glass in salute of your next ten! Love, c

Bubbles
                                                                                    Participant

scots
                                                                                      Participant

congrats on 10 years.

Scot

scots
                                                                                        Participant

congrats on 10 years.

Scot

scots
                                                                                          Participant

congrats on 10 years.

Scot

Maureen038
                                                                                              Participant

Congratulations Brian to you and your beautiful family!!! You have been an integral part of this board with your excellent advice and positive and caring attitude. I wish you a very long and meaningful life!! Congrats again Brian-so happy for you!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                                                Participant

Congratulations Brian to you and your beautiful family!!! You have been an integral part of this board with your excellent advice and positive and caring attitude. I wish you a very long and meaningful life!! Congrats again Brian-so happy for you!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                                                  Participant

Maureen

AshleyS
                                                                                                  Participant

Awesome, Brian! Keep on keeping on!!!!!!

Ashley

AshleyS
                                                                                                    Participant

Ashley

AshleyS
                                                                                                      Participant

Ashley

_Paul_
                                                                                                        Participant

That is a truly significant milestone Brian, double digits and still kicking it. I really liked the part of your report that it has made you a better person. Having something good come from something so sh*tty is simply excellent.

There is hope for the rest of us!

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                          Participant

That is a truly significant milestone Brian, double digits and still kicking it. I really liked the part of your report that it has made you a better person. Having something good come from something so sh*tty is simply excellent.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                            Participant

– Paul

kpcollins31
                                                                                                              Participant

Nice work, Brian! I had not realized that your initial diagnosis was that long ago. 

Kevin

Brendan
                                                                                                                  Participant

Congratulations, Brian.  Wishing you continued good luck.

Brendan

jogo
                                                                                                                    Participant

Congratulations Brian on your ten years.   Thank you for all the support you give us.  I am humbled by your generosity: sharing news about melanoma with us, providing valuable support when there have been questions from persons with melanoma and their families, and sharing your personal journey.  I'm certain that there are hundreds, even thousands, of us who feel that you are in our corner.  Reciprocating, your corner is a stadium of good wishes, gratitude, and prayers for you and your family.  You are our beacon of hope and courage!  

jogo
                                                                                                                      Participant

Congratulations Brian on your ten years.   Thank you for all the support you give us.  I am humbled by your generosity: sharing news about melanoma with us, providing valuable support when there have been questions from persons with melanoma and their families, and sharing your personal journey.  I'm certain that there are hundreds, even thousands, of us who feel that you are in our corner.  Reciprocating, your corner is a stadium of good wishes, gratitude, and prayers for you and your family.  You are our beacon of hope and courage!  

jogo
                                                                                                                        Participant

Brendan
                                                                                                                          Participant

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                                            Participant

Brendan

kpcollins31
                                                                                                                            Participant

Nice work, Brian! I had not realized that your initial diagnosis was that long ago. 

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                                                                              Participant

Kevin

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics