The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf-How long to know if it’s working?

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf-How long to know if it’s working?

Participant

My husband Don began Zelboraf on March 15. At that time, his LDH was 286. One week later, his LDH was 201.

How long does it typically take to know if the Z is working? Does it matter how much disease there is? (Our doctor says Don's disease is very advanced.)

Janet Lee

My husband Don began Zelboraf on March 15. At that time, his LDH was 286. One week later, his LDH was 201.

How long does it typically take to know if the Z is working? Does it matter how much disease there is? (Our doctor says Don's disease is very advanced.)

Janet Lee

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Janet Lee,

Usually if there is a response (50% response rate) it can be seen either by mets that are near the skin shrinking and often within days. Standard of Care is a scan 8 wks after starting or sooner if there is a concern.

LDH can, for some people, reliably indicate tumor burden, but often also includes other tissue damage or major inflammation. Either way, it going down is a good thing! How is Don faring?

Not sure about amount of disease – I have read in papers and heard from people here that it can a be dramatic response however remember you are an unknown, unless DF has treated this mutation before.

Blessings,
          Amy

awillett1991
          Participant
            Janet Lee,

Usually if there is a response (50% response rate) it can be seen either by mets that are near the skin shrinking and often within days. Standard of Care is a scan 8 wks after starting or sooner if there is a concern.

LDH can, for some people, reliably indicate tumor burden, but often also includes other tissue damage or major inflammation. Either way, it going down is a good thing! How is Don faring?

Not sure about amount of disease – I have read in papers and heard from people here that it can a be dramatic response however remember you are an unknown, unless DF has treated this mutation before.

Blessings,
            Amy

awillett1991
            Participant
              Janet Lee,

Blessings,
              Amy

Tina D
              Participant

I just read your profile, Janet… you guys have sure seen some rough waters ( to say the least) by anybody's standards.Responses to Zelboraf can be pretty quick when it is effective. I have seen scans posted from people who had very advanced disease and after a month of the zelboraf it was noticably improved. I never had any subcutaneous tumors to watch, so had to wait for scans. At a little over 8 weeks I had a complete response for tumors of the pancreas, messentary, and back muscles. Many people who have a response start to notice a decrease in the pain being caused by the tumors pressing on various nerves.For others the response takes longer. It is a hard thing… very hard… to have to wait and see. How long before he will have his first scans? 

As Amy said, the LDH CAn be an indicator, and I would certainly say it is better to see it decreasing, but it is not a guarantee of what is going on inside. Still, a hopeful sign, though!!

How is he tolerating the zelboraf?

Tina

Tina D
                Participant

I just read your profile, Janet… you guys have sure seen some rough waters ( to say the least) by anybody's standards.Responses to Zelboraf can be pretty quick when it is effective. I have seen scans posted from people who had very advanced disease and after a month of the zelboraf it was noticably improved. I never had any subcutaneous tumors to watch, so had to wait for scans. At a little over 8 weeks I had a complete response for tumors of the pancreas, messentary, and back muscles. Many people who have a response start to notice a decrease in the pain being caused by the tumors pressing on various nerves.For others the response takes longer. It is a hard thing… very hard… to have to wait and see. How long before he will have his first scans? 

As Amy said, the LDH CAn be an indicator, and I would certainly say it is better to see it decreasing, but it is not a guarantee of what is going on inside. Still, a hopeful sign, though!!

Tina

Tina D
                  Participant

Tina

jcmp
                    Participant

My husband's disease was also very advanced.  I noticed an improvement within days of starting Zelboraf.  His pain levels decreased and his appetite and energy increased. 

Best of luck.  Hope it works for your husband. 

jcmp
                      Participant

My husband's disease was also very advanced.  I noticed an improvement within days of starting Zelboraf.  His pain levels decreased and his appetite and energy increased. 

jcmp
                        Participant

joy_
                          Participant

Hi Janet Lee,

My husband is on his 9th day of Zelboraf, and we saw a dramatic difference by the 3rd day.  He almost immediately began to look better – not tired, he had energy again, started eating a lot more and the subq tumor that he has has gone from the size of a pecan to smaller than a pea.  I can only hope that the tumors on his liver, lung, etc are shrinking too!

I don't know what the standard response time is though.  It does seem that many people begin feeling better quickly, as is the case with my husband. 

How is Don tolerating the Z?  So far my husband has mostly had skin issues and looks like some carcinomas popping up.

Let us know how it goes and take care!

joy_
                            Participant

Hi Janet Lee,

My husband is on his 9th day of Zelboraf, and we saw a dramatic difference by the 3rd day.  He almost immediately began to look better – not tired, he had energy again, started eating a lot more and the subq tumor that he has has gone from the size of a pecan to smaller than a pea.  I can only hope that the tumors on his liver, lung, etc are shrinking too!

I don't know what the standard response time is though.  It does seem that many people begin feeling better quickly, as is the case with my husband. 

How is Don tolerating the Z?  So far my husband has mostly had skin issues and looks like some carcinomas popping up.

joy_
                              Participant

Hi Janet Lee,

Janet Lee
                                Participant

Thank you, all, for your helpful feedback on your experiences with Zelboraf.

Don seems to be tolerating it well, so far. Today is his 12th day on Z, and no noticeable side effects. His pain does seem to have subsided some, he looks good, and is eating well.

This is quite some journey, isn't it. Thanks again. Knowing you all are out there helps!

Janet

Janet Lee
                                  Participant

Don seems to be tolerating it well, so far. Today is his 12th day on Z, and no noticeable side effects. His pain does seem to have subsided some, he looks good, and is eating well.

This is quite some journey, isn't it. Thanks again. Knowing you all are out there helps!

Janet

Janet Lee
                                    Participant

Janet

bj63
                                      Participant

I had my first follow-up scan at about 6 weeks after starting the Zelboraf and it showed a 50% reduction in tumor size.  So the response seems to be pretty quick.  Wishing you all the best!

BJ

bj63
                                        Participant

I had my first follow-up scan at about 6 weeks after starting the Zelboraf and it showed a 50% reduction in tumor size.  So the response seems to be pretty quick.  Wishing you all the best!

BJ

bj63
                                          Participant

BJ

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics