The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf and brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf and brain mets

Participant

Does anyone have feedback about using Zelboraf with brain mets present?   For those of you who know our dear Nancy D,   she has completed WBR and a tumor harvested 8 years ago tested positive for the Braf mutation.

Tomorrow Nancy is having complete scans of her brain to see if there has been shinkag of the brain mets and also of the of her body to determine if there is evidence of any other disease sites.

Praying hard that Zelboraf may be an option for her . . .

Thank you for any feedback you can share,

Mary

Does anyone have feedback about using Zelboraf with brain mets present?   For those of you who know our dear Nancy D,   she has completed WBR and a tumor harvested 8 years ago tested positive for the Braf mutation.

Tomorrow Nancy is having complete scans of her brain to see if there has been shinkag of the brain mets and also of the of her body to determine if there is evidence of any other disease sites.

Praying hard that Zelboraf may be an option for her . . .

Thank you for any feedback you can share,

Mary

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant
          My husband started Zelboraf when they found a huge brain tumor (5cm x 6cm)…the Zelboraf shrunk it a bit after a month…not enough for gamma knife, but it did shrink. His oncologist and neurologist actually wrote a medical journal article on his brain tumor. The pathology of the brain tumor showed “treated cells,” which they took to mean the Zelboraf crossed the blood brain barrier. Zelboraf has been his miracle drug…18 months and counting:). Best of luck to your friend.
          jmmm
          Participant
            My husband started Zelboraf when they found a huge brain tumor (5cm x 6cm)…the Zelboraf shrunk it a bit after a month…not enough for gamma knife, but it did shrink. His oncologist and neurologist actually wrote a medical journal article on his brain tumor. The pathology of the brain tumor showed “treated cells,” which they took to mean the Zelboraf crossed the blood brain barrier. Zelboraf has been his miracle drug…18 months and counting:). Best of luck to your friend.
            jmmm
            Participant
              awillett1991
              Participant
                I also had good luck with Zelboraf shrinking a brain met, but not eliminating it. Also though it prevented anything new. Been on it two separate times. In the last year.

Amy

awillett1991
                Participant
                  I also had good luck with Zelboraf shrinking a brain met, but not eliminating it. Also though it prevented anything new. Been on it two separate times. In the last year.

Amy

awillett1991
                  Participant

Amy

POW
                    Participant

My completely  non-scientific sense of things is that Zelboraf does work to shrink brain tumors but not as well as it works on non-brain tumors. It seems to be common that one or two new small brain mets appear while on Zelboraf. These are usually easily treated with a cyberknife. But as I say, this is just the sense I have gotten from other people's stories.

POW
                      Participant

My completely  non-scientific sense of things is that Zelboraf does work to shrink brain tumors but not as well as it works on non-brain tumors. It seems to be common that one or two new small brain mets appear while on Zelboraf. These are usually easily treated with a cyberknife. But as I say, this is just the sense I have gotten from other people's stories.

POW
                        Participant

dellriol
                          Participant

I am currently in a clinical trial for Z with Brain mets.  Only have one met in brain and several in lungs. I've been on it for just over a year.  It did shrink my brain met, and more importantly I have had NO NEW mets on Zel.  Side effects aren't a major issue for me. We did drop the dose to 720 due to liver issues, but since then the side effects have been easily manageable.   Good luck!

dellriol
                            Participant

I am currently in a clinical trial for Z with Brain mets.  Only have one met in brain and several in lungs. I've been on it for just over a year.  It did shrink my brain met, and more importantly I have had NO NEW mets on Zel.  Side effects aren't a major issue for me. We did drop the dose to 720 due to liver issues, but since then the side effects have been easily manageable.   Good luck!

dellriol
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics