The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf a bust; going for broke with Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf a bust; going for broke with Yervoy

Participant

Haven't been around much lately. Last week we got the bad news confirming that Don did not respond to the Zelboraf. There was progression; he now has brain mets: at least 3 of them. Dr. L. said the scan was not as clear as they'd like, but there was at least 3. Because there are multiple lesions and he's not sure if there may be others, he has recommended Whole Brain Radiation along with radiation on the spine and a course of Yervoy. We've been told this is basically our last shot at recovery.

Haven't been around much lately. Last week we got the bad news confirming that Don did not respond to the Zelboraf. There was progression; he now has brain mets: at least 3 of them. Dr. L. said the scan was not as clear as they'd like, but there was at least 3. Because there are multiple lesions and he's not sure if there may be others, he has recommended Whole Brain Radiation along with radiation on the spine and a course of Yervoy. We've been told this is basically our last shot at recovery.

Don goes in today for his first infusion of Yervoy. They are still working on how soon he will start radiation treatments.

Does anyone here have anything they can tell me about side effects and/or effectiveness of Whole Brain Radiation?

Thanks!

Michelle, wife of Don

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Michelle,

I am so sorry to hear about the progression.  Oh how I hate this disease and the constant issues tormant in your life.  I guess the only thing we can do is to keep fighting and hopefully just figure this out.

I wish the scan isn't clear enough to specifically tell you what to do.  I know that my tumor is large enough and deep enough that Plan B is the crainectomy instead of the first option.  Different people seem to have different side effects and different effectiveness.  Only 1 Dr suggested WBR and I turned her down at this time. I was told that they would do SRS for at least a few more if they happen to show up on Monday during the radiation and is hiding even more, but not planning on this appearing.   Each of us is so different that we could have example issues and we're still going to react differently.  I know your just looking for hope. wish someone could give you answers. 

I'll send you an e-mail later. 

Hugs,

Linda

shellebrownies
            Participant

I don't think that SRS would be a valid option in Don's case. Once he has progression in an area, it usually grows like gangbusters. Dr. L. is right to worry about tumors he can't see and/or microscopic tumors. I would much rather hit them all at once. Still scary as all heck, though.

I really hope your situation is much better handled and you get back to NED soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

Michelle

shellebrownies
              Participant

I don't think that SRS would be a valid option in Don's case. Once he has progression in an area, it usually grows like gangbusters. Dr. L. is right to worry about tumors he can't see and/or microscopic tumors. I would much rather hit them all at once. Still scary as all heck, though.

I really hope your situation is much better handled and you get back to NED soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

Michelle

shellebrownies
                Participant

Michelle

lhaley
                Participant

Michelle,

I am so sorry to hear about the progression.  Oh how I hate this disease and the constant issues tormant in your life.  I guess the only thing we can do is to keep fighting and hopefully just figure this out.

I wish the scan isn't clear enough to specifically tell you what to do.  I know that my tumor is large enough and deep enough that Plan B is the crainectomy instead of the first option.  Different people seem to have different side effects and different effectiveness.  Only 1 Dr suggested WBR and I turned her down at this time. I was told that they would do SRS for at least a few more if they happen to show up on Monday during the radiation and is hiding even more, but not planning on this appearing.   Each of us is so different that we could have example issues and we're still going to react differently.  I know your just looking for hope. wish someone could give you answers. 

Hugs,

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Michelle,

Hugs,

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

Michelle, I am saddened to read this news. I don't have any specific info about WBR side
                      effects. However, here is some info about brain mets and radiation treatment in general:
                      http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/summary/2006/stereotactic-radiosurgery0806

I hope that Don will respond well to Yervoy.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

Michelle, I am saddened to read this news. I don't have any specific info about WBR side
                        effects. However, here is some info about brain mets and radiation treatment in general:
                        http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/summary/2006/stereotactic-radiosurgery0806

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

dearfoam
                          Participant

Did he have the positive test for BRAF mutation? How long was he on Zelboraf? We are still waiting to see if my dad will test positive for that.

My dad's first treatment in April was WBR due to six brain lesions, and in his case made a big diiference in his ability to get up and walk around. He did lose most of his hair. His fatigue set in about two weeks into it. His Temodar treatments bagen in May as radiation was ending, so it is hard to distinguish further side effects from one another, though he did stop eating well and lose about 25#. His persoality and judgement have changed some, but it is hard to say if that was independednt of the changes brought on by tumors. Still on Temodar with mixed results.

Best,

DF

dearfoam
                            Participant

Did he have the positive test for BRAF mutation? How long was he on Zelboraf? We are still waiting to see if my dad will test positive for that.

My dad's first treatment in April was WBR due to six brain lesions, and in his case made a big diiference in his ability to get up and walk around. He did lose most of his hair. His fatigue set in about two weeks into it. His Temodar treatments bagen in May as radiation was ending, so it is hard to distinguish further side effects from one another, though he did stop eating well and lose about 25#. His persoality and judgement have changed some, but it is hard to say if that was independednt of the changes brought on by tumors. Still on Temodar with mixed results.

Best,

DF

shellebrownies
                                Participant

Dearfoam,

My husband had tried to get into the GSK BRAF/MEK trial back in May, and had a sample taken from a liver met at that time. The GSK version of the BRAF test gave us a positive result, but Don ended up washing out of that trial because of quick progression of his disease.

Flash forward to August: a sample from that tissue sample tested for the other trial was sent to PLX for qualification for the Zelboraf extended access trial. His sample tested negative based on the PLX test. His case was appealed and he was allowed on the trial based on his previous positive test.

Apparently, the PLX result was the correct one.

I'm not too concerned about the hair loss: His was just growing back after having been on chemo, so it's not like we're not used to his baldness…

So far, the brain lesions seem to not have made too much difference in Don's behavior. I'm hoping that the treatment won't cause more damage. ๐Ÿ™

MIchelle

shellebrownies
                                  Participant

Dearfoam,

My husband had tried to get into the GSK BRAF/MEK trial back in May, and had a sample taken from a liver met at that time. The GSK version of the BRAF test gave us a positive result, but Don ended up washing out of that trial because of quick progression of his disease.

Flash forward to August: a sample from that tissue sample tested for the other trial was sent to PLX for qualification for the Zelboraf extended access trial. His sample tested negative based on the PLX test. His case was appealed and he was allowed on the trial based on his previous positive test.

I'm not too concerned about the hair loss: His was just growing back after having been on chemo, so it's not like we're not used to his baldness…

So far, the brain lesions seem to not have made too much difference in Don's behavior. I'm hoping that the treatment won't cause more damage. ๐Ÿ™

MIchelle

shellebrownies
                                    Participant

Dearfoam,

MIchelle

dearfoam
                                    Participant

Best,

DF

MariaH
                                      Participant

I can't give you any info on the WBR, but just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you both and wishing you all the best.

Hugs ((()))

Maria

boot2aboot
                                          Participant

Michelle,

i am speechless…it seemed as though zelboraf worked on everyone…i am sorry

it seems don and i are very unlucky…i had to stop zelboraf for awhile due to overwhelmingly severe immune respnse

boots

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

Michelle,

it seems don and i are very unlucky…i had to stop zelboraf for awhile due to overwhelmingly severe immune respnse

boots

boot2aboot
                                              Participant

Michelle,

boots

MariaH
                                              Participant

I can't give you any info on the WBR, but just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you both and wishing you all the best.

Hugs ((()))

Maria

MariaH
                                                Participant

Hugs ((()))

Maria

jenmooney363
                                                  Participant

I just finished Yervoy and am getting ready to start Zelboraf.  I also have brain mets and have had whole brain radiation.  For me, the whole brain radiation wasn't very effective, but I did have gamma knife surgery, which is a form of pinpoint radiation, which did help.  Beware the side effects of the Yervoy were different for me with each infusion.  I did have some success with the Yervoy though.  Most of the tumors in my lungs shrunk, some by half.  I did have new lesions that popped up during the Yervoy treatment though. 

I would strongly reccommend looking into gamma or cyberknife as opposed to whole brain radiation.  The side effects for me were mainly tiredness and hair loss, but it just wasn't effective.

jenmooney363
                                                    Participant

I just finished Yervoy and am getting ready to start Zelboraf.  I also have brain mets and have had whole brain radiation.  For me, the whole brain radiation wasn't very effective, but I did have gamma knife surgery, which is a form of pinpoint radiation, which did help.  Beware the side effects of the Yervoy were different for me with each infusion.  I did have some success with the Yervoy though.  Most of the tumors in my lungs shrunk, some by half.  I did have new lesions that popped up during the Yervoy treatment though. 

I would strongly reccommend looking into gamma or cyberknife as opposed to whole brain radiation.  The side effects for me were mainly tiredness and hair loss, but it just wasn't effective.

jenmooney363
                                                      Participant

Gpopham
                                                        Participant
                                                          Just found this site. Yervoy has been a miracle for us. My husband was diagnosed in October 2010 and has been through a craniotomy for brain mets, whole brain radiation and chemo. He did not respond to the chemo so was referred to a clinical trial for ippilimomaub in March 2011 (now Yervoy). He has had excellent results with one round of treatment (4 infusions) with Yervoy. Minimal side effects and no evidence of disease advancement. 11 months out and brain MRI’s are negative and lung lesions have shrunk. We wanted to get the good news to others looking for treatments. God bless and we hope you are getting good results as well.
                                                          Gpopham
                                                          Participant
                                                            Just found this site. Yervoy has been a miracle for us. My husband was diagnosed in October 2010 and has been through a craniotomy for brain mets, whole brain radiation and chemo. He did not respond to the chemo so was referred to a clinical trial for ippilimomaub in March 2011 (now Yervoy). He has had excellent results with one round of treatment (4 infusions) with Yervoy. Minimal side effects and no evidence of disease advancement. 11 months out and brain MRI’s are negative and lung lesions have shrunk. We wanted to get the good news to others looking for treatments. God bless and we hope you are getting good results as well.
                                                            Gpopham
                                                            Participant
                                                          Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics