The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy Healing or Scan Reader Error??

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy Healing or Scan Reader Error??

Participant

On November 22, 2013 I received my last dose of Yervoy/Ipi.  My December CT Scan showed no new growths and shrinkage of existing in the area that received radiation.

On February 12, 2014 I had a follow up scan that showed new mets in both my lungs, liver, stomach, and spine.  The largest were in my lungs at 10 mm.  The others were between 6 and 8 mm. A follow up Brain MRI showed 4 small spots in my brain.  We did 15 whole brain radiation treatments to treat this area prior to starting the B-raf/MEK treatments.

To achieve a baseline of where my mets where at in size and location, we did a PET Scan on Monday, April 7, 2014, which is the day I started the B-raf/MEK treatment.  The results of this scan showed NO METS in my LUNGS, LIVER, Stomach, or BRAIN.  I did have 5 new mets pop up but only ONE of two on my spine was there in both the CT Scan and the PET Scan.

My question to everyone is this:  Is it more likely to be a scan error or a Yervoy success?  

I'm interested in hearing others opinions as my Doctor would not commit to either and said that it is very possible that Yervoy did cure it, but there is also a chance that the PET Scan didn't pick them up because they are small.  He is counting on the CT scan that will determine if the braf/mek is working after 8 weeks to put any debate to rest.

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Dave,

That is an interesting development.  I've had an experience lately with PET scan results that I hope to get answered on Wednesday. It certainly does sound good whatever is going on.  To me it sounds a little strange that they are using PET scans to establish baseline.  I always thought that CTs were better for that because they are a little more clear.  My understanding is that PETs are helpeful with finding cancer because of the glowing the cancer produces on images but that CTs actually give a better image.  I'm not sure how true that is.  I have heard that PETs may not be able to pick up cancer (i.e won't glow) if the tumor is 4 mm or smaller.  By that standard I would think that your 6 mm to 10 mm mets should be able to be seen if they are still there and active.  It would be nice to believe that you are having a delayed Ipi reaction and now also hitting it with Braf/MEK combo.  Talk about a triple whammy.

Brian

Marianne quinn
            Participant

I hope it is all good.. Hoping for similar experience with my hubby. 

Marianne quinn
              Participant

Marianne quinn
                Participant

Dave from Ormond
                  Participant

The triple whammy would be fine with me!  However, I had a road bump with the braf/MEK.  I had such terrible fatigue that I didn't eat or get out bed for three days last week.  Turns out the braf/MEK had depleted my B12 to nothing.  I'm on some B12 shots now and feeling better.  Going to call the Doctor and see when we start back on it.

lucywill
                    Participant

that is too bad, if you don't have the right scan reader to make everything clear, and if we can't find it timely, teh disease will become bad.

Whitehead
                      Participant

Hi, usually speaking, the image or document of medical isuuse are in dicom file format, also, the dicom files need an exclusive document reader, that is dicom reader to decode and extract the data information about patients' disease.

Whitehead
                        Participant

Hi, usually speaking, the image or document of medical isuuse are in dicom file format, also, the dicom files need an exclusive document reader, that is dicom reader to decode and extract the data information about patients' disease.

Whitehead
                          Participant

lucywill
                            Participant

that is too bad, if you don't have the right scan reader to make everything clear, and if we can't find it timely, teh disease will become bad.

lucywill
                              Participant

Dave from Ormond
                                Participant

The triple whammy would be fine with me!  However, I had a road bump with the braf/MEK.  I had such terrible fatigue that I didn't eat or get out bed for three days last week.  Turns out the braf/MEK had depleted my B12 to nothing.  I'm on some B12 shots now and feeling better.  Going to call the Doctor and see when we start back on it.

Dave from Ormond
                                  Participant

BrianP
                                  Participant

Dave,

That is an interesting development.  I've had an experience lately with PET scan results that I hope to get answered on Wednesday. It certainly does sound good whatever is going on.  To me it sounds a little strange that they are using PET scans to establish baseline.  I always thought that CTs were better for that because they are a little more clear.  My understanding is that PETs are helpeful with finding cancer because of the glowing the cancer produces on images but that CTs actually give a better image.  I'm not sure how true that is.  I have heard that PETs may not be able to pick up cancer (i.e won't glow) if the tumor is 4 mm or smaller.  By that standard I would think that your 6 mm to 10 mm mets should be able to be seen if they are still there and active.  It would be nice to believe that you are having a delayed Ipi reaction and now also hitting it with Braf/MEK combo.  Talk about a triple whammy.

Brian

BrianP
                                    Participant

Dave,

Brian

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics