The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

YAY!!!! Good News for me………

Forums General Melanoma Community YAY!!!! Good News for me………

Participant

YAY!!!!! Amen……I am SOooooo BLESSED!!!!

All my scans (PET / CT's / brain MRI) that were completed last week were negative…..thank you, Lord……there was no sign that the cancer had spread beyond the lymph nodes around the original melanoma site. Surgery to remove the remaining lymph nodes around the original melanoma site will be June 13, and then treatments (Interferon has been suggested) will begin soon after.

Sharon in GA
      Stage III

YAY!!!!! Amen……I am SOooooo BLESSED!!!!

All my scans (PET / CT's / brain MRI) that were completed last week were negative…..thank you, Lord……there was no sign that the cancer had spread beyond the lymph nodes around the original melanoma site. Surgery to remove the remaining lymph nodes around the original melanoma site will be June 13, and then treatments (Interferon has been suggested) will begin soon after.

Sharon in GA
      Stage III

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Yea! Happy dancing in NC!

Thank You Lord!

Grace and peace,

Carol

slpinion
            Participant

Thanks, Carol.  I was doing some happy dancing too!!!

I hope you are doing well and enjoy the Memorial Day weekend.

Blessing to you,
              Sharon

slpinion
              Participant

Thanks, Carol.  I was doing some happy dancing too!!!

I hope you are doing well and enjoy the Memorial Day weekend.

Blessing to you,
                Sharon

Carol Taylor
              Participant

Yea! Happy dancing in NC!

Thank You Lord!

Grace and peace,

Carol

TracyLee
                Participant

Yippee! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

What a nice start to a holiday weekend!

Carol Taylor
                    Participant

OK Tracy,

How did things go for you today? I see you're back and in good spirits! (Please tell me you still haven't left for your appt).

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                      Participant

OK Tracy,

How did things go for you today? I see you're back and in good spirits! (Please tell me you still haven't left for your appt).

Grace and peace,

Carol

slpinion
                        Participant

Thanks, Tracy!

I completely agree that it is a nice start to a holiday weekend!!  Blessings to you.

Sharon

slpinion
                          Participant

Thanks, Tracy!

I completely agree that it is a nice start to a holiday weekend!!  Blessings to you.

Sharon

TracyLee
                          Participant

Yippee! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

What a nice start to a holiday weekend!

MichaelFL
                            Participant

That is good news! Have a steak and some of your own homemade fruits and veggies this holiday weekend!

I plan on having a poterhouse with some of my own blueberries, tomatoes and grapes. All home grown. I also have raspberries, navel oranges, and blackberries in the backyard too.

Michael

MichaelFL
                              Participant

That is good news! Have a steak and some of your own homemade fruits and veggies this holiday weekend!

I plan on having a poterhouse with some of my own blueberries, tomatoes and grapes. All home grown. I also have raspberries, navel oranges, and blackberries in the backyard too.

Michael

lhaley
                                Participant

Great news!  Enjoy the holiday weekend with a free and easy spirit.

linda

Stage IV

lhaley
                                  Participant

Great news!  Enjoy the holiday weekend with a free and easy spirit.

linda

Stage IV

Carmon in NM
                                    Participant

Sharon, that is such wonderful news! I'm so glad you shared it at a time when everyone was in need of some good news joy!

Carmon in NM – Stage IIIB 9/2008, Stage IV 6/2010 with brain and adrenal mets, NED since 4/13/2011.

Carmon in NM
                                      Participant

Sharon, that is such wonderful news! I'm so glad you shared it at a time when everyone was in need of some good news joy!

Carmon in NM – Stage IIIB 9/2008, Stage IV 6/2010 with brain and adrenal mets, NED since 4/13/2011.

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

That's wonderful news! I am very happy for you!

Just wondering if you are determined to go ahead with the suggested interferon treatment,
                                          or would you consider a second opinion?

Best wishes.

Frank from Australia

slpinion
                                            Participant

Frank, right now I am so very new to this MM diagnosis that I'm not sure what to do.  I am researching and trying to get recommendations for the best oncologists in my area so I have options for second opinions regarding any treatment.  The interferon treatment has been recommended by both my dermatologist and the surgeon.  I also have a colleague that has traveled this MM path and highly recommends the interferon treatment.

Please feel free to elaborate and fill me in on any information you may have.

Thanks,

Sharon

FormerCaregiver
                                              Participant

Interferon is a very old drug for melanoma, and in most cases its efficacy is
                                                questionable. Some doctors probably recommend it because that is what they have been doing
                                                for a long time. It is a difficult treatment for many people. Fortunately, melanoma
                                                research continues to advance and there are newer and less toxic therapies becoming
                                                available.

Here are a couple of threads that give people's opinions on interferon:
                                                http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/interferon-yes-or-no
                                                and http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/interferon-0

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

Interferon is a very old drug for melanoma, and in most cases its efficacy is
                                                  questionable. Some doctors probably recommend it because that is what they have been doing
                                                  for a long time. It is a difficult treatment for many people. Fortunately, melanoma
                                                  research continues to advance and there are newer and less toxic therapies becoming
                                                  available.

Here are a couple of threads that give people's opinions on interferon:
                                                  http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/interferon-yes-or-no
                                                  and http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/interferon-0

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

slpinion
                                                  Participant

Frank, right now I am so very new to this MM diagnosis that I'm not sure what to do.  I am researching and trying to get recommendations for the best oncologists in my area so I have options for second opinions regarding any treatment.  The interferon treatment has been recommended by both my dermatologist and the surgeon.  I also have a colleague that has traveled this MM path and highly recommends the interferon treatment.

Please feel free to elaborate and fill me in on any information you may have.

Thanks,

Sharon

FormerCaregiver
                                                  Participant

That's wonderful news! I am very happy for you!

Just wondering if you are determined to go ahead with the suggested interferon treatment,
                                                    or would you consider a second opinion?

Best wishes.

Frank from Australia

nicoli
                                                    Participant

Hi Sharon in GA,

I too am Stage 3 and was told about interferon after my initial surgeries. The difference is that my onc told me that there is no research that interferon prolongs life. She said I could try it but not to count on it doing much. The thing is that we don't know if it works, if we stay in remission we can thank the interferon, if we have a recurrence we can say the interferon didn't work. I did interferon for two days and had a psychotic episode from it.

I have since studied interferon and don't think it is worth much. It was the only drug for melanoma for years and that is why some doctors still recommend it.  As far as I know, most doctors do NOT recommend it anymore.

After the wide excision of the primary, a sentinal lymph node biopsy, and lymph node removal, we want something else to turn to. To take some kind of drug makes us feel as though we are doing everything we can. There aren't many drug options for stage 3 so "wait and watch" isn't as dumb as it seems.

Nicki, Stage 3b scalp

slpinion
                                                        Participant

Nicki, thank you for your reply about your experience. 

I have been thrown into the melanoma arena so fast that my brain is overwhelmed.  I have heard "interferon" since I got my first biopsy pathology report from my dermatologist on April 13, 2011; my dermatologist immediately referred me to a surgeon who specializes in melanoma surgery.  Since then I have had the SLNB completed, 5 nodes removed (1 positive), wide excision of the primary, scans completed, and now the lymphadenectomy scheduled to remove remaining lymph nodes from the right chest wall as well as the axillary lymph nodes.

As both my dermatologist and surgeon talked to me about interferon treatment (I assumed it was the applicable/standard treatment for melanoma.) that may or may not be the treatment recommended by the oncologist. 

Sharon in GA – stage III – right chest wall

nicoli
                                                          Participant

Hi Sharon, I have received so much information and education from this site and you will too.

One of the most important things I have learned………….You don't have to decide anything right now. Let yourself recover physically, mentally and emotionally from your surgeries.

Do some research on the web, talk to people on this site, you can even archive the subject on this site. You don't have to hurry.

(Isn't cancer a full-time job? Hearing about your treatment,  I remember having all my initial surgeries and scans and doctor appointments and hardly having time to breathe. It's still like that sometimes. I hate cancer.  )

Just remember, most of us have time to slow down, do some research, get second opinions and such. Taking your time on this decision will not effect your survival.  

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

nicoli
                                                            Participant

Hi Sharon, I have received so much information and education from this site and you will too.

One of the most important things I have learned………….You don't have to decide anything right now. Let yourself recover physically, mentally and emotionally from your surgeries.

Do some research on the web, talk to people on this site, you can even archive the subject on this site. You don't have to hurry.

(Isn't cancer a full-time job? Hearing about your treatment,  I remember having all my initial surgeries and scans and doctor appointments and hardly having time to breathe. It's still like that sometimes. I hate cancer.  )

Just remember, most of us have time to slow down, do some research, get second opinions and such. Taking your time on this decision will not effect your survival.  

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

slpinion
                                                              Participant

Nicki, thank you for your reply about your experience. 

I have been thrown into the melanoma arena so fast that my brain is overwhelmed.  I have heard "interferon" since I got my first biopsy pathology report from my dermatologist on April 13, 2011; my dermatologist immediately referred me to a surgeon who specializes in melanoma surgery.  Since then I have had the SLNB completed, 5 nodes removed (1 positive), wide excision of the primary, scans completed, and now the lymphadenectomy scheduled to remove remaining lymph nodes from the right chest wall as well as the axillary lymph nodes.

As both my dermatologist and surgeon talked to me about interferon treatment (I assumed it was the applicable/standard treatment for melanoma.) that may or may not be the treatment recommended by the oncologist. 

Sharon in GA – stage III – right chest wall

nicoli
                                                              Participant

Hi Sharon in GA,

I too am Stage 3 and was told about interferon after my initial surgeries. The difference is that my onc told me that there is no research that interferon prolongs life. She said I could try it but not to count on it doing much. The thing is that we don't know if it works, if we stay in remission we can thank the interferon, if we have a recurrence we can say the interferon didn't work. I did interferon for two days and had a psychotic episode from it.

I have since studied interferon and don't think it is worth much. It was the only drug for melanoma for years and that is why some doctors still recommend it.  As far as I know, most doctors do NOT recommend it anymore.

After the wide excision of the primary, a sentinal lymph node biopsy, and lymph node removal, we want something else to turn to. To take some kind of drug makes us feel as though we are doing everything we can. There aren't many drug options for stage 3 so "wait and watch" isn't as dumb as it seems.

Nicki, Stage 3b scalp

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics