The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

XRay, Ultrasound and Blood work for stage 1

Forums General Melanoma Community XRay, Ultrasound and Blood work for stage 1

Participant

Hi ! I am stage 1 Breslow 0.2 and exept WLE I was not offered to do Scans ,Xrays or even blood work.

I read a lot here on this forum and can see people with stage 1 have all this done.

Does it mean my Doctors don't do everything ehat should be done ???

Hi ! I am stage 1 Breslow 0.2 and exept WLE I was not offered to do Scans ,Xrays or even blood work.

I read a lot here on this forum and can see people with stage 1 have all this done.

Does it mean my Doctors don't do everything ehat should be done ???

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm stage I and after WLE was not recommended any scans/imaging.  They will do blood work (for instance, LDH, CBC, liver function, Vit D), if I ask. . but I don't believe there is really any effective blood test to monitor this.  Other than skin exams and physicals (feel lymph nodes, etc…), they are not recommending anything else.  I had 99% doctors not recommend scans (rate of false positives high, doesn't show microscopic disease anyway, etc..), and 1 doctor say annual chest x ray.  I've heard of getting  a baseline x ray so at least if you do have one later and something shows up you can compare to baseline and see if it's the same, growing, etc…  But, bottom line, I'm not getting any scans/imaging, as my Dr says by the time a scan showed something you probably would have symptoms anyway.  And, if they do find something on a scan. . let's say on liver. . once they find it they will have to biopsy and it could be a benign thing and now you've had unnecessary surgery, etc…  It just seems like watch/wait & hope you're ok is doing nothing. . makes me feel like I'm doing nothing, but it seems like right now medicine isn't at a place where anything else would be recommended right now for this.  You just hope you're not in the 5% or whatever it is of thin stage I's that spread.

JC
          Participant

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm stage I and after WLE was not recommended any scans/imaging.  They will do blood work (for instance, LDH, CBC, liver function, Vit D), if I ask. . but I don't believe there is really any effective blood test to monitor this.  Other than skin exams and physicals (feel lymph nodes, etc…), they are not recommending anything else.  I had 99% doctors not recommend scans (rate of false positives high, doesn't show microscopic disease anyway, etc..), and 1 doctor say annual chest x ray.  I've heard of getting  a baseline x ray so at least if you do have one later and something shows up you can compare to baseline and see if it's the same, growing, etc…  But, bottom line, I'm not getting any scans/imaging, as my Dr says by the time a scan showed something you probably would have symptoms anyway.  And, if they do find something on a scan. . let's say on liver. . once they find it they will have to biopsy and it could be a benign thing and now you've had unnecessary surgery, etc…  It just seems like watch/wait & hope you're ok is doing nothing. . makes me feel like I'm doing nothing, but it seems like right now medicine isn't at a place where anything else would be recommended right now for this.  You just hope you're not in the 5% or whatever it is of thin stage I's that spread.

natasha
              Participant

I am going abroad in couple of weeks and I heard they doing scans etc in where for thin melanomas so I will try to make appointment on my holiday and do all this 🙁  But I wonder why a lot of people on this board this stage 1 had all checks done ? Does it depends on country ,clinic ,situation etc???

JC
                Participant

The other thing is how often do you want to have scans and for how long?  With thin melanomas, I have read, the peak recurrence time is 72 months.  So, will you have scans for the next 5-6 years?  10 years?  I think most doctors. . and I'm not a doctor but I've talked to plenty of them about this. . would say if you had a 0.2mm stage Ia melanoma with no other negative prognostic factors (extensive regression, high mitotic rate, etc…) that they would not recommend doing scans (maybe a baseline scan minimally, but most probably would just not recommend it because of rate of false positives and would not show microscopic disease, etc..)

JC
                  Participant

The other thing is how often do you want to have scans and for how long?  With thin melanomas, I have read, the peak recurrence time is 72 months.  So, will you have scans for the next 5-6 years?  10 years?  I think most doctors. . and I'm not a doctor but I've talked to plenty of them about this. . would say if you had a 0.2mm stage Ia melanoma with no other negative prognostic factors (extensive regression, high mitotic rate, etc…) that they would not recommend doing scans (maybe a baseline scan minimally, but most probably would just not recommend it because of rate of false positives and would not show microscopic disease, etc..)

JC
                    Participant

natasha
                      Participant

I think once a year is o'k to do scas and Xray for let's say 5 years…I do not know…But it seems like I am doing nothing…..

natasha
                        Participant

I think once a year is o'k to do scas and Xray for let's say 5 years…I do not know…But it seems like I am doing nothing…..

JC
                          Participant

I'd be interested to hear what the experts/scientific experts on melanoma. . would say/recommend.  Maybe Janner can weigh in with the current standard clinical practice right now around this question……….

JC
                            Participant

I'd be interested to hear what the experts/scientific experts on melanoma. . would say/recommend.  Maybe Janner can weigh in with the current standard clinical practice right now around this question……….

JC
                              Participant

natasha
                                Participant

natasha
                                  Participant

I am going abroad in couple of weeks and I heard they doing scans etc in where for thin melanomas so I will try to make appointment on my holiday and do all this 🙁  But I wonder why a lot of people on this board this stage 1 had all checks done ? Does it depends on country ,clinic ,situation etc???

natasha
                                    Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                      Participant

And let's not forget the real dangers of CTs and X rays (they can cause cancer!) far outweigh the benefit for thin melanoma patients who have no other symptoms….

These scans only make sense for Stage 3 and 4 patients. 

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                        Participant

And let's not forget the real dangers of CTs and X rays (they can cause cancer!) far outweigh the benefit for thin melanoma patients who have no other symptoms….

Best wishes,

Harry

natasha
                                          Participant

But even pregnant women have Ultrasounds or even Xrays. I understand you point but sometimes I worry a lot about reccurance.

natasha
                                            Participant

But even pregnant women have Ultrasounds or even Xrays. I understand you point but sometimes I worry a lot about reccurance.

natasha
                                              Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                Participant

Ultrasounds are harmless – no ionizing radiation involved.  But I never heard of ultrasound as a diagnostic tool for detecting mets.  X rays are ionizing radiation.  They can cause cellular mutations, which can lead to cancer.  And CTs are basically a series of X rays – a chest CT is equivalent to about 200 X rays (or more).  Best to stay away from them if possible.  I'm Stage 4 and on a clinical trial, so can't avoid them.  But I wish I could.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                  Participant

Ultrasounds are harmless – no ionizing radiation involved.  But I never heard of ultrasound as a diagnostic tool for detecting mets.  X rays are ionizing radiation.  They can cause cellular mutations, which can lead to cancer.  And CTs are basically a series of X rays – a chest CT is equivalent to about 200 X rays (or more).  Best to stay away from them if possible.  I'm Stage 4 and on a clinical trial, so can't avoid them.  But I wish I could.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                    Participant

Best regards,

Harry

JC
                                                      Participant

even one baseline CT and/or CXR cause cancer?

JC
                                                        Participant

JC
                                                          Participant

JC
                                                            Participant

even one baseline CT/CXR causes cancer?

JC
                                                              Participant

JC
                                                                Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

JC
                                                                  Participant

MichaelFL
                                                                    Participant

None of them will show anything. Blood work is not accurate, scans only show macro disease, not micro, and x-rays will not show anything either.

You are low risk, go live life.

MichaelFL
                                                                      Participant

None of them will show anything. Blood work is not accurate, scans only show macro disease, not micro, and x-rays will not show anything either.

MichaelFL
                                                                        Participant

natasha
                                                                            Participant

Thank you !! I think you are right and probably this tests will not show anything

natasha
                                                                              Participant

Thank you !! I think you are right and probably this tests will not show anything

Phil S
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  I just have to weigh in, because I frequently read that people get chest Xrays as a way to monitor if their melanoma has spread. My husband has numerous lungs mets, and most all his chest X-rays (that he only gets for Picc line check), have looked fine. They only detect his lung mets on his CAT scans, since most of his mets are under 1 cm. So please, just live your life, there is no easy way to live with melanoma, but at Stage 1 the odds are in your favor. Take care! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                                  Phil S
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    I just have to weigh in, because I frequently read that people get chest Xrays as a way to monitor if their melanoma has spread. My husband has numerous lungs mets, and most all his chest X-rays (that he only gets for Picc line check), have looked fine. They only detect his lung mets on his CAT scans, since most of his mets are under 1 cm. So please, just live your life, there is no easy way to live with melanoma, but at Stage 1 the odds are in your favor. Take care! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                                                    Phil S
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      natasha
                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics