The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Whole Brain Radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Whole Brain Radiation

Participant

Greetings to all, 

Hope you are doing well. 
      My mom already had two weeks of whole brain radiation and already finished a session of 6 days with temodar.  Since then, she has regained some speech abilities and her motor skills have (slightly) increased.  However, now, we have a new worry:  her concentration, comprehension, and memory have noticeably worsened.  She confuses colors and body parts, she cannot remember the names of her children, she has a hard time understanding orders, and she confuses her words.  At times she has moments of clarity where she is completely lucid and coordinated, but those moments are getting fewer and farther between.  

Has any one of you suffered these types of confusions with radiation treatment?  She does have several brain tumors, and maybe those are to blame for her current state, but I just cannot believe that they have advanced so quickly in so little time.  Please write me with your experiences or ANY advice you have.

A hug from Argentina,

Manuel
      Son of patient
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Manuel,

Have you talked to your mom's Dr. about the confustion?  It could be caused by swelling, in that case they increase the steroids.  Unfortunately sometimes tumors do grow extremely rapidly.   When you say that she has regained some speech and motor skills that does sound positive. 

Hugs to you and your family,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Manuel,

Have you talked to your mom's Dr. about the confustion?  It could be caused by swelling, in that case they increase the steroids.  Unfortunately sometimes tumors do grow extremely rapidly.   When you say that she has regained some speech and motor skills that does sound positive. 

Hugs to you and your family,

Linda

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Melanoma can be unpredictable in how fast it grows, especially when there are multiple
              tumours. Hopefully, the treatment that your mother is receiving will help to stop it
              spreading any further.

Radiation treatment, chemo, surgery, and medications that she has had could possibly cause
              some of her symptoms, but the cancer might also cause them. I think that it would be good
              to talk to her doctor about your concerns.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Melanoma can be unpredictable in how fast it grows, especially when there are multiple
                tumours. Hopefully, the treatment that your mother is receiving will help to stop it
                spreading any further.

Radiation treatment, chemo, surgery, and medications that she has had could possibly cause
                some of her symptoms, but the cancer might also cause them. I think that it would be good
                to talk to her doctor about your concerns.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Frank from Australia

Carol Taylor
                Participant

Hi Manuel,

I can't add, but can only echo the others, to talk with your Mom's doctors about your concerns, and by now you may have done that…I'm running a little behind with your post.  let us know what you learn.

How are you doing?  It sounds like you're your Mom's right arm and I know you also work and are young. Take care of yourself through this.

Prayers are with you, your Mom, and your siblings!

Lord, in Your tender mercy, shelter Manuel, open doors for his Mom, and grace him with what he needs to do what he has to do.  Grant this family peace and hope, God, much, much hope. Amen.

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

Hi Manuel,

I can't add, but can only echo the others, to talk with your Mom's doctors about your concerns, and by now you may have done that…I'm running a little behind with your post.  let us know what you learn.

How are you doing?  It sounds like you're your Mom's right arm and I know you also work and are young. Take care of yourself through this.

Prayers are with you, your Mom, and your siblings!

Lord, in Your tender mercy, shelter Manuel, open doors for his Mom, and grace him with what he needs to do what he has to do.  Grant this family peace and hope, God, much, much hope. Amen.

ADSCLT
                    Participant

Hi Manuel,

My father had 2 weeks of whole brain radiation.  His Dr. said the radiation continues to work 4 to 6 weeks after treatment stops.  He was very weak but not confused.  He doesn't seem to have many side effects from the WBR. 

The confusion may come from the location of her tumors.  My dad's eye sight was affected because the tumor is located on his brain stem.  His vision slowly improved as the weeks went on.   It is possible her condition will improve as the radiation continues to work.

Still praying for you and your family.

April

ADSCLT
                      Participant

Hi Manuel,

My father had 2 weeks of whole brain radiation.  His Dr. said the radiation continues to work 4 to 6 weeks after treatment stops.  He was very weak but not confused.  He doesn't seem to have many side effects from the WBR. 

The confusion may come from the location of her tumors.  My dad's eye sight was affected because the tumor is located on his brain stem.  His vision slowly improved as the weeks went on.   It is possible her condition will improve as the radiation continues to work.

Still praying for you and your family.

April

ADSCLT
                        Participant

Hi Manuel,

How is your mother? 

ADSCLT
                          Participant

Hi Manuel,

How is your mother? 

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics