The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Who do you talk to when your sick – not with your cancer

Forums General Melanoma Community Who do you talk to when your sick – not with your cancer

Participant

I've had a cold for 3-4 days now and I've now come up with a dry cough that hurts.  Obviously before cancer, we've all had these problems, but when you have lung mets, you want to take care of anything that may be an infection.  That being said, if I think I may be getting bronchitis, would you talk to your oncologist or walk in Dr/family Dr.  

I've had a cold for 3-4 days now and I've now come up with a dry cough that hurts.  Obviously before cancer, we've all had these problems, but when you have lung mets, you want to take care of anything that may be an infection.  That being said, if I think I may be getting bronchitis, would you talk to your oncologist or walk in Dr/family Dr.  

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        boot2aboot
        Participant

i talk to onc always…they know the drugs and the cancer you have…it could be from cancer, autoimmune reaction or infection…but they have resources to deal with it…i have pleural pains and coughing on and off with my lung mets…i am meeting with my onc on wednesday…i will ask then if this is normal for lung mets

boots

boot2aboot
          Participant

i talk to onc always…they know the drugs and the cancer you have…it could be from cancer, autoimmune reaction or infection…but they have resources to deal with it…i have pleural pains and coughing on and off with my lung mets…i am meeting with my onc on wednesday…i will ask then if this is normal for lung mets

boots

boot2aboot
            Participant

boots

Lisa13
                Participant

Hi Boots,

Thanks for the info – much appreciated.  This definately isn't from my cancer. This is a typical cold that I get every year. I've been sneezing, stuffed up and couldn't taste any of the Christmas dinners :).  The cold is just down in my chest, but feels better than yesterday.  I havn't had much coughing today which is great and I can take deep breaths without problems.   I was just wondering who people go to when they have colds/flu/possible infections, etc.  My oncologist has perscribed me lots of pills for my stomach because of my hiatal hernia and acid reflux. He gave me a stronger one last week since the original one was weak.  All the treatment I've done has made my stomach worse, so rather than call my stomach Dr, I talk to my oncologist. 

Erinmay22
                  Participant

Lisa – I so wondered the same thing!  I woke up last Saturday with a horrible sore throat and then by Monday an awful cough.  by wednesday it was in my chest and so painful!  I wasn't sure if I should talk wtih my regular doctor or my onc.   Ha – I did go to my regular doctor who said upper respirtory infection.  Seems everyone is sick right now ;(  

Hang in there!  I still did leave a message with my onc also just to let them know.  I swear my lungs hurt more from this cold then it did when I had at VAT's procedure done!  Starting to feel better now (other than a stomach ache from the cold medicine).  

As if we don't have enough to worry about already, right? Hang in there! and feel better.

Cheers,

Erin

Erinmay22
                    Participant

Lisa – I so wondered the same thing!  I woke up last Saturday with a horrible sore throat and then by Monday an awful cough.  by wednesday it was in my chest and so painful!  I wasn't sure if I should talk wtih my regular doctor or my onc.   Ha – I did go to my regular doctor who said upper respirtory infection.  Seems everyone is sick right now ;(  

Hang in there!  I still did leave a message with my onc also just to let them know.  I swear my lungs hurt more from this cold then it did when I had at VAT's procedure done!  Starting to feel better now (other than a stomach ache from the cold medicine).  

As if we don't have enough to worry about already, right? Hang in there! and feel better.

Cheers,

Erin

Erinmay22
                      Participant

Cheers,

Erin

Lisa13
                        Participant

Hi Boots,

Thanks for the info – much appreciated.  This definately isn't from my cancer. This is a typical cold that I get every year. I've been sneezing, stuffed up and couldn't taste any of the Christmas dinners :).  The cold is just down in my chest, but feels better than yesterday.  I havn't had much coughing today which is great and I can take deep breaths without problems.   I was just wondering who people go to when they have colds/flu/possible infections, etc.  My oncologist has perscribed me lots of pills for my stomach because of my hiatal hernia and acid reflux. He gave me a stronger one last week since the original one was weak.  All the treatment I've done has made my stomach worse, so rather than call my stomach Dr, I talk to my oncologist. 

Lisa13
                          Participant

Hi Boots,

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Lisa, I don't think that it matters if you consult your family doctor or the oncologist unless you feel that an issue could be related to melanoma. However, the family Dr might be able to see you quicker and could be easier to get to. Both doctors can easily prescribe what you need to cope with most infections.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

Lisa, I don't think that it matters if you consult your family doctor or the oncologist unless you feel that an issue could be related to melanoma. However, the family Dr might be able to see you quicker and could be easier to get to. Both doctors can easily prescribe what you need to cope with most infections.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Lisa13
                                  Participant

Thanks everyone! 

Erin – sounds like you had what I have and many other people are getting this nasty bug.  I always get the flu shot every year and since I was on Yervoy, I couldn't get it.

Frank, I agree and don't think it matters who I contact, especially with a standard cold.  If I had a pain in my body or something didn't feel right, that would be 100% my oncologist.   

I'm feeling much better today.  No more cough, lighter feeling chest and starting to feel like my old self again.   If I wasn't feeling better, I think antibiotics would have been my new friend.  I'm off for another holiday dinner tonite and this time, I can taste the food!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                    Participant

Thanks everyone! 

Erin – sounds like you had what I have and many other people are getting this nasty bug.  I always get the flu shot every year and since I was on Yervoy, I couldn't get it.

Frank, I agree and don't think it matters who I contact, especially with a standard cold.  If I had a pain in my body or something didn't feel right, that would be 100% my oncologist.   

I'm feeling much better today.  No more cough, lighter feeling chest and starting to feel like my old self again.   If I wasn't feeling better, I think antibiotics would have been my new friend.  I'm off for another holiday dinner tonite and this time, I can taste the food!

Lisa

Vermont_Donna
                                      Participant

Hi Lisa,

I have always had a "Primary Care Physician" for many years, way before i got melanoma. She always gets copies of my oncology doctor's notes, results from scans, etc, and so is on top of hat is happening with me. I go to see her for regular checkups and for when I am sick or have an infection. She calls my oncologist if/when after seeing me she feels she needs more information to treat the "regular" illness I am presenting with or if she wants to let them know she is sending me back to them for treatment of that particular issue for a variety of reasons.

You can always start with your primary care AND give a call to your oncologist's office too! I hope you feel better soon!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Hi Lisa,

I have always had a "Primary Care Physician" for many years, way before i got melanoma. She always gets copies of my oncology doctor's notes, results from scans, etc, and so is on top of hat is happening with me. I go to see her for regular checkups and for when I am sick or have an infection. She calls my oncologist if/when after seeing me she feels she needs more information to treat the "regular" illness I am presenting with or if she wants to let them know she is sending me back to them for treatment of that particular issue for a variety of reasons.

You can always start with your primary care AND give a call to your oncologist's office too! I hope you feel better soon!

Vermont_Donna
                                          Participant

Hi Lisa,

Lisa13
                                            Participant

Thanks everyone! 

Lisa

KellieSue
                                            Participant
                                              I know longer have a PCP. Since I went to Stage 4, my oncologist is it. He’s told me Im your dr now. Call me if you have streph, the flu. I think it is because he wants to know what it going with and it could related to something. ( I don’t call him if I have a simple cold but I haven’t a regular dr in years)

Kellie(from Iowa)

KellieSue
                                              Participant
                                                I know longer have a PCP. Since I went to Stage 4, my oncologist is it. He’s told me Im your dr now. Call me if you have streph, the flu. I think it is because he wants to know what it going with and it could related to something. ( I don’t call him if I have a simple cold but I haven’t a regular dr in years)

Kellie(from Iowa)

KellieSue
                                                Participant

Kellie(from Iowa)

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics