The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

We are done!

Forums General Melanoma Community We are done!

Participant

I tolerated 4 out of the maximum 12 doses of IL-2. Last night when I stood to use the urinal bedside and got winded I started to get concerned. Fortunately they had hooked up an oxygen cannula and I put it on. IO was supposed to have a dose of IL-2 at 3am. At 2am the nurse did my vitals and said "I don't see anything here that would prevent Dr. Shindorf from ordering the next dose of IL-2." I responded by saying, "If I get a vote, let's wait until morning."

When no IL-2 came at 3am I wondered whether my vote had influenced the decision. When the nurse came to draw labs at 6am I asked. She said, "It seems that the decision had already been made, by the attending (Dr. Yang)."

When everyone came through on rounds this morning Dr. Yang told me that they had decided to stop the IL-2. I said, "That's good to hear, because that's where I am, too."

So now it's a few days of recovery, getting my blood counts back to normal, and one of the most nerve-wracking parts of the treatment — waiting to see if it has worked.

Thank you all so much for the outpouring of love and support you have provided me. I love this forum and I love all of you, too.

-Bill

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

You are a BEAST, Bill!!!  (Living in a family of fairly competative runners…being a "BEAST" is a supreme compliment!)  You have rocked this OUT!!!  Rest up  You did your work…now for those little cells to fight it out!  love ya back!  celeste

mrsaxde
            Participant

Thanks Celeste! You are a beacon of encouragement and positivity for us all!

-Bill

Jahendry12
            Participant

Waiting is the hardest.  Wishing you only the best Bill.  You are in my prayers.

mrsaxde
                Participant

Thank you!

Wife_WilliamR
                Participant

Bill – you are doing great!  Was anxious to log on today to see if you had posted!  Try to rest/relax and let those cells do their job!  Love and prayers, Stacy & William

mrsaxde
                    Participant

Thank you! I'm thinking of you guys too!

mrsaxde
                      Participant

Thank you! I'm thinking of you guys too!

bjeans
                      Participant

Yay Bill! In horror of this mighty win of yours I have to say it: Go Orioles! 

Beth

bjeans
                          Participant

In HONOR of this mighty win! I must have typed an r and autospell went to town. 

TexMelanomex
                          Participant

Right on Bill!! Warrior on brother!

CancerSpouse
                            Participant

Good for you! Go Bill! Glad you're done for now. ~ Carol

cjm22
                              Participant

Woohoo! Rest up! Hope this treatment treats you well.

mrsaxde
                                Participant

Thank you everybody! I have been trying to respond to each response individually but Wednesday and yesterday being my first days of recovery I still wasn't feeling very well and was only out of bed for short periods of time.

I thank you all again for the outpouring of love, hope, and encouragement. As I said on Monday as my cells re-entered my body, "today (Monday, actually) is the first day of the rest of my life!"

Never give up!

tedtell1
                                    Participant

Bill:

Dont think I have responded to you previously. I have been following your updates! Glad to hear you are doing okay. Blessings to you.

Ted

mrsaxde
                                      Participant

Hi Ted! Thanks for your kind words and support. I'll have to wait until my second follow up visit, 12 weeks after discharge, to learn whether or not this is working. But I believe with all my heart and soul that it is going to work!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics