The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update & Plan A & B…

Forums General Melanoma Community Update & Plan A & B…

Participant

Dear friends,

Yesterday I talked with Rock Star Doc and while I still don't know the pathology of my tumor (path report hadn't come yet,) we have a workable plan.

Plan A is for me to enter the NY-ESO-1 trial (ID-LV305-2013-001) if my tumor expresses the NY-ESO1 protein (only 25% of melanoma patients express this protein). If I do not have the NY-ESO1 protein, then I will enter the JAK-1 trial (INCB 391101-107).  Either way, I'll start one of these trials next Wed.

Plan B is to try to enter a TIL / ACT trial and it will only kick in the event that I progress while I am on one of these Plan A trials.  It also assumes that I have enough tumor to qualify for the TIL / ACT trial Right now I have one 16mmx19mm lung tumor. The first evaluation of Plan A will be at 12 weeks after start, so I'm fairly confident that we'll catch any progression earlier, rather than later. 

Given all the unknowns, (and there are so many!), and all the limitations, this seems like a good way forward.

My process for making the decision was this:
      1) freak out, pray, talk with friends and family, calm down, (breath in and out!!).
      2) Learn about the science (read, ask questions, watch videos).
      3) Research potential clinical trials on clinicaltrials.org, Search by geography, Download trial info and create database of possible trials. Figure out which trials I could possibly qualify for and exclude those that I don't. Having already had Ipi and Pembro automatically disqualified me for some.  Also being allergic to iodine (CT contrast juice) kicks me out of others.  
      4) Read the proposals for this "short list" of trials. and keep praying, and talking to my friends and family (with more breathing in and out!!)..
      5) write questions for Rock Star Doc based on "short list" search. This includes both general and trial specific questions.  Talk with RS Doc.
      6) take leap of faith (God's got me!), choose one trial with a few back up plans and directions based on contingencies, continue to pray and talk with friends and family (continue to breath in and out!!).

I'm not sure this is the best way to go about making this decision, but it helped me create a sense of control and agency in the process, and this is critical for me to be able to go forward well.

Thanks for your help in this crazy process!

Shalom,
      Julie

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        Casitas1
        Participant

Sounds like a great plan to me! Rock Star Doc Rocks! Julie, will you be doing the trial at St. Johns?

Keep on!

Paul

Casitas1
          Participant

Sounds like a great plan to me! Rock Star Doc Rocks! Julie, will you be doing the trial at St. Johns?

Keep on!

Paul

Julie in SoCal
              Participant

Thanks!  

Yup, Plan A is all at St. Johns.

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                Participant

Thanks!  

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

Thanks!  

Julie

Casitas1
                  Participant

Keep on!

Paul

Polymath
                    Participant

Hi Julie,

Your step by step process serves as an excellent guide for those feeling overwhelmed.  Great post!  And of course best wishes that with great care and blessings, you beat back the beast in short order.

Gary

Polymath
                      Participant

Hi Julie,

Your step by step process serves as an excellent guide for those feeling overwhelmed.  Great post!  And of course best wishes that with great care and blessings, you beat back the beast in short order.

Gary

Polymath
                        Participant

Hi Julie,

Gary

Patrisa
                          Participant

Dear Julie, 

I really admire you and your attitude, you are awesome.. Mel really picked the wrong person to mess with :-)))

Hope you have nothing but amazing results with your chosen path!

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                            Participant

Dear Julie, 

I really admire you and your attitude, you are awesome.. Mel really picked the wrong person to mess with :-)))

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                              Participant

Dear Julie, 

Love,

Patrisa

jbronicki
                                Participant

Julie, I'm always so impressed by your knowledge, plans and overall greatness.  Will pray for Plan A to be the ticket.  Wishing you the best.

jbronicki
                                  Participant

Julie, I'm always so impressed by your knowledge, plans and overall greatness.  Will pray for Plan A to be the ticket.  Wishing you the best.

jbronicki
                                    Participant

Mamapegela
                                      Participant

Thanks for sharing your plans and your process for figuring it all out Julie.  It helps to pave the way and shine a light for people who are coming up behind you on this path.  

I'm always learning, learning here.

Best of everything-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                        Participant

Thanks for sharing your plans and your process for figuring it all out Julie.  It helps to pave the way and shine a light for people who are coming up behind you on this path.  

Best of everything-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                          Participant

Best of everything-

Peggy

BrianP
                                            Participant

Awesome job Julie.  You have a great plan in place.

Brian

BrianP
                                              Participant

Brian

BrianP
                                                Participant

Brian

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

Hey Julie,

I think that is a great plan and I LOVE your process! Hang tough! Celeste

Bubbles
                                                    Participant

Hey Julie,

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

Hey Julie,

debwray
                                                        Participant

Hi Julie,

Tapped out a reply to you but somehow lost it before posting last night. Not the first time either..could do with an auto save function and an edit function on the board ….or a delete post function.. For when I get too enthusiastic and hit the post message button twice…

Anyway. The jist of the message was that I think you have done brilliantly to put together such a well reasoned plan A and B in the time And keeping your sense of humour And remembering to keep breathing. It always helps if you have docs you feel you can trust and have confidence in their expertise, but it still takes guts to look the options in the eye and make decisions on the basis of knowledge of the possible future scenarios. I hope I can manage the process as well as you if and when my turn comes. 

Well done and thank you for sharing the way you navigated this difficult crossroads.

Good luck with plan a

Shalom

Deb

debwray
                                                          Participant

Hi Julie,

Tapped out a reply to you but somehow lost it before posting last night. Not the first time either..could do with an auto save function and an edit function on the board ….or a delete post function.. For when I get too enthusiastic and hit the post message button twice…

Anyway. The jist of the message was that I think you have done brilliantly to put together such a well reasoned plan A and B in the time And keeping your sense of humour And remembering to keep breathing. It always helps if you have docs you feel you can trust and have confidence in their expertise, but it still takes guts to look the options in the eye and make decisions on the basis of knowledge of the possible future scenarios. I hope I can manage the process as well as you if and when my turn comes. 

Well done and thank you for sharing the way you navigated this difficult crossroads.

Good luck with plan a

Shalom

Deb

debwray
                                                            Participant

Hi Julie,

Good luck with plan a

Shalom

Deb

DZnDef
                                                              Participant

Great plan, Julie!  Rock Star Doc has your back and mine too!  Hoping Plan A does the trick for you.  Excellent decision process.  Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                Participant

Great plan, Julie!  Rock Star Doc has your back and mine too!  Hoping Plan A does the trick for you.  Excellent decision process.  Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Maggie

1derdog
                                                                    Participant

All my best to you Julie & Maggie.  Husband sees Rock Star Doc too.   We strongly believe in him & have faith that he will see us through this & we will all enjoy NED.  We feel very lucky to have found this Doc.  Husband's first doctor took traditional route with no attempt to look outside approved/old treatment plan.  

Julie, really admire your methodical & optimistic approach.  You got this.  You're in good hands!

all the best,

wife & caregiver

Terry

1derdog
                                                                      Participant

All my best to you Julie & Maggie.  Husband sees Rock Star Doc too.   We strongly believe in him & have faith that he will see us through this & we will all enjoy NED.  We feel very lucky to have found this Doc.  Husband's first doctor took traditional route with no attempt to look outside approved/old treatment plan.  

Julie, really admire your methodical & optimistic approach.  You got this.  You're in good hands!

all the best,

wife & caregiver

Terry

1derdog
                                                                        Participant

all the best,

wife & caregiver

Terry

DZnDef
                                                                        Participant

Cheers!

Maggie

DebbieH
                                                                          Participant

Well, crap.  I don't check in here much anymore and I didn't realize you were dealing with this.  It sounds like you have a good, well thought out plan in place.  Many positive thoughts and prayers from me as you become NED once again!

DebbieH

DebbieH
                                                                            Participant

Well, crap.  I don't check in here much anymore and I didn't realize you were dealing with this.  It sounds like you have a good, well thought out plan in place.  Many positive thoughts and prayers from me as you become NED once again!

DebbieH

DebbieH
                                                                              Participant

DebbieH

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics