The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Randall – brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on Randall – brain mets

Participant

Randall started Yervoy two weeks ago after lung biopsy, CT and PET scan showed tumors on lungs,

abdomen, two small ones on liver, and spine. Brain MRI was inconclusive, decided to do a double contrast

MRI. Well the result is 5 apparent lesions, we are doing cyberknife by next week if another MRI can be 

scheduled, then a day to plan it (?) I got the impression from reading on this board they mainly do cyberknife

Randall started Yervoy two weeks ago after lung biopsy, CT and PET scan showed tumors on lungs,

abdomen, two small ones on liver, and spine. Brain MRI was inconclusive, decided to do a double contrast

MRI. Well the result is 5 apparent lesions, we are doing cyberknife by next week if another MRI can be 

scheduled, then a day to plan it (?) I got the impression from reading on this board they mainly do cyberknife

for brain. Why not for lungs/spine etc.? Just curious. I guess its more wait and see, some respond, some don't.

I am having a hard time with what to tell my daughter she is 20, across the state, a junior in college and doing

great with grades, a job, and an internship. Very busy and focused. We went there and told her about the cancer returning,

but at that point we only knew it was in the lung (after the biopsy) and we pretty much assured her he would get

get treatment and beat it. I feel like Im not being truthful, she is coming home next weekend for Easter and I have

to figure out what if anything, else to say. Randall doesnt want to stress her out. He still feels decent and goes to work.

Mostly I try to think positive, but this is serious  especially with the brain involvement.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janet Lee
        Participant

I can understand your concern about what to tell your 20-year old daughter. When my husband was first diagnosed with Stage IV widespread melanoma, our first reaction was not to tell our two daughters (mid and late 20's) how serious this illness was. Our initial thinking was, they're young, they're happy, they've got their own lives, let them lead their lives. But we soon realized that that was not fair to them. They deserve to know the truth. We tell them the truth at every turn; they know and understand the seriousness of this hideous disease. But we are always hopeful and believe that we have a good team and we will fight as long and as hard as we can to give us more time with "their daddy."

Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Janet Lee

randallgford
            Participant

Thank you, its nice to get advice from someone who really "gets" it. I plan to talk to her next Saturday. Easter

we will have family over for dinner- this may help, to have some family celebratory time and not go back to Orlando

on too somber a note. As Randall said, when she sees how upbeat I am (which he is, unbelievably so) I think it

will catch on. She has his calm side, but a but of my more emotional worrisome tendencies so I hope he's right. In any event, she needs to know. She will be making decisions on internships etc and so I want her to have more facts.

randallgford
              Participant

Thank you, its nice to get advice from someone who really "gets" it. I plan to talk to her next Saturday. Easter

we will have family over for dinner- this may help, to have some family celebratory time and not go back to Orlando

on too somber a note. As Randall said, when she sees how upbeat I am (which he is, unbelievably so) I think it

will catch on. She has his calm side, but a but of my more emotional worrisome tendencies so I hope he's right. In any event, she needs to know. She will be making decisions on internships etc and so I want her to have more facts.

randallgford
                Participant

Janet Lee
                Participant

I can understand your concern about what to tell your 20-year old daughter. When my husband was first diagnosed with Stage IV widespread melanoma, our first reaction was not to tell our two daughters (mid and late 20's) how serious this illness was. Our initial thinking was, they're young, they're happy, they've got their own lives, let them lead their lives. But we soon realized that that was not fair to them. They deserve to know the truth. We tell them the truth at every turn; they know and understand the seriousness of this hideous disease. But we are always hopeful and believe that we have a good team and we will fight as long and as hard as we can to give us more time with "their daddy."

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                  Participant

Janet Lee

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics