The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update

Participant
      Hello Everyone,
      I wanted to update everyone on whats been going on.
      First of all the actual wbr was a breeze. I started losing my hair about the 7th treatment pretty bad. I chose to cut it all off and donate it to Love For Locks, I donated over 22 inches. I’ve always had long hair so being bald has been a trip but a very small price to pay. I have a sexy new redhead wig that was donated to me from a wonderful person named Jill at Artistic Salon in Auburn CA.
      Current side effects from wbr are kind of hard to figure out since today is also my 9th day on Z. My head is itching like crazy, this could be because I shaved my head and still have stubbles, my ears, forehead, and head are burned like a sunburn so this could be causing the itching as well. Monday was my last day of dex and I had a horrible headache for a couple days, pretty much debilitating so I took half a dex yesterday and it helped, no dex today and headache is better. Food and drinks tastes really weird, my fiance doesn’t think I should cook because I over salt everything πŸ™‚ I’ve had some nausea but got some Prochlorperazine 10mg and that helps. I’m taking a bunch of pills, in the am 4 z, 1prochlorperazine, 1morphine sulfate 20mg, 1 hydrocodone 10mg, supplements I’m taking are, turmeric, vit c, vit a, vit D3, cod liver oil, benfotiamine, and graviola extract (sour sop). Same at night minus the supplements. Any other supplements you can recommend?
      Overall I feel pretty good no joint pain or rash as of yet.
      The Zelboraf is kicking butt on my tumors!! I have the tumor on my arm that I’m using for a marker and its shrunk over 50% in a little over a week!! My breathing is easier and hardly any pain in my chest and back!! Its like a miracle!! I know my results could be short lived but I could also be a long term responder like Dick, Al, and many others. Just being a responder is a plus, this at the very least buys me time for the next miracle!!
      I’ve finally been approved to go see Dr. Minor in San Fran, I go this Friday. I’m going to ask about the dosage of Z, clinical trials, any evidence of z working on the brain, and what he recommends on going forward. I’m super excited to get his opinion and visit the big city.
      Brain MRI scheduled for February 15, results not until the 21st from the radiolgist but my dr said he’d try to get them to me sooner.
      Does the z cause food to taste weird? Hard to determine whats causing what. πŸ™‚
      I’ve been hoping for an update from Linda Haley has anyone heard?
      Lots of love to you all,
      Denise
    Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        SoCalDave
        Participant

I'd add resveratrol to your list of supplements!

Best of luck!

SoCalDave
          Participant

Best of luck!

SoCalDave
            Participant

Best of luck!

JakeinNY
              Participant

Denise,

Check out my post today about the audio of the ketogenic diet explained. It may or may not work for you but if it does stop tumor growth, you'll be doing cartwheels! Talk to your doc about it. It's easy enough to find the pubmed reports of the trials. If you need help getting them, let me know. Many cancers feast on sugar and carbs. Check out Dr. Fine's (MD) audio and you'll see why.

Best wishes for a long life.

Jake

DeniseK
                  Participant
                    Hi Jake,
                    I’ve looked into this about a week ago, definitely gonna do it! Thanks for reminding me to actually get started.
                    DeniseK
                    Participant
                      Hi Jake,
                      I’ve looked into this about a week ago, definitely gonna do it! Thanks for reminding me to actually get started.
                      DeniseK
                      Participant
                        Hi Jake,
                        JakeinNY
                        Participant

Just please talk to your doc about doing it. If the doc says not to do it, then ask them why.

If they say no, then at least cut out the sugar and the white flour foods.

JakeinNY
                          Participant

Just please talk to your doc about doing it. If the doc says not to do it, then ask them why.

JakeinNY
                            Participant

JakeinNY
                            Participant

Denise,

Check out my post today about the audio of the ketogenic diet explained. It may or may not work for you but if it does stop tumor growth, you'll be doing cartwheels! Talk to your doc about it. It's easy enough to find the pubmed reports of the trials. If you need help getting them, let me know. Many cancers feast on sugar and carbs. Check out Dr. Fine's (MD) audio and you'll see why.

Jake

JakeinNY
                              Participant

Denise,

Jake

JakeinNY
                                Participant

My onc. at NYU told me a few years ago not to take vit. C supplements. Anyone else hear that?

triciad
                                    Participant

My doctor at NYU told me the same thing…no manufactured vitamin C; however, you can have plenty of natural vitamin c as found in oranges, etc.  I wonder if it's true.

Tricia

Denise – Congratualtions on the shrinking tumors.  Keep the momentum going!

triciad
                                      Participant

My doctor at NYU told me the same thing…no manufactured vitamin C; however, you can have plenty of natural vitamin c as found in oranges, etc.  I wonder if it's true.

Tricia

triciad
                                        Participant

Tricia

DeniseK
                                          Participant
                                            I’ll ask Dr Minor on Friday about this. I’m gonna go over all my meds and supplements with him so I’ll let you know.
                                            Thank you!!
                                            Denise
                                            DeniseK
                                            Participant
                                              I’ll ask Dr Minor on Friday about this. I’m gonna go over all my meds and supplements with him so I’ll let you know.
                                              Thank you!!
                                              Denise
                                              DeniseK
                                              Participant
                                                Thank you!!
                                                Denise
                                              JakeinNY
                                              Participant

My onc. at NYU told me a few years ago not to take vit. C supplements. Anyone else hear that?

JakeinNY
                                                Participant

MichaelFL
                                                  Participant

I have been following your posts since the day you showed up here. I must admit you have done quite well in advocating and educating yourself.

Keep up the good work. I really hope this does it for you.

A secret admirer πŸ™‚

MichaelFL
                                                    Participant

I have been following your posts since the day you showed up here. I must admit you have done quite well in advocating and educating yourself.

A secret admirer πŸ™‚

DeniseK
                                                        Participant
                                                          Aaww, I love secret admirers β™‘ Thanks for the smiles you made my day!!
                                                          DeniseK
                                                          Participant
                                                            DeniseK
                                                            Participant
                                                            MichaelFL
                                                            Participant

A secret admirer πŸ™‚

aldakota22
                                                              Participant

Great news Denise.Happy things are going well.Praying that you join Dick& me as complete responder to"Z".As for taste issue probably a side affect to "Z".I lost taste to many foods such as cofee,chocolates,bananas and other sweets.Thankfully it only lasted for about 3or 4 months.Keep that PMA (positive mind attitude) .It is a tool I use in the fight against melanoma.All the best with upcomming scans.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                                                                Participant

Great news Denise.Happy things are going well.Praying that you join Dick& me as complete responder to"Z".As for taste issue probably a side affect to "Z".I lost taste to many foods such as cofee,chocolates,bananas and other sweets.Thankfully it only lasted for about 3or 4 months.Keep that PMA (positive mind attitude) .It is a tool I use in the fight against melanoma.All the best with upcomming scans.Beat the Beast.  Al

DeniseK
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Al, my hero!! Well I spoke with my doctor today and I have thrush. Its a build up of yeast in throat caused by the radiation. Yuck!! He thinks this is why even water tastes disgusting. I’ve got a prescription for it so hopefully it’ll help. But if its from the z its good to know it won’t last.
                                                                      Thanks Al
                                                                      Denise β™₯
                                                                      DeniseK
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Al, my hero!! Well I spoke with my doctor today and I have thrush. Its a build up of yeast in throat caused by the radiation. Yuck!! He thinks this is why even water tastes disgusting. I’ve got a prescription for it so hopefully it’ll help. But if its from the z its good to know it won’t last.
                                                                        Thanks Al
                                                                        Denise β™₯
                                                                        DeniseK
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Thanks Al
                                                                          Denise β™₯
                                                                        aldakota22
                                                                        Participant

Swanee
                                                                          Participant

Hi Denise,

Thanks for the update, I've been concerned about you, not to many posts lately!  

I am super excited for you and all these feel good results, what a wonderful feeling!    I don't have experience in many of the things you describe but I love your great attitude and I see your humor is getting you through much of this, good for you to see the brighter side of things.  Prayers for continued healing and successful treatment.

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                            Participant

Hi Denise,

I am super excited for you and all these feel good results, what a wonderful feeling!    I don't have experience in many of the things you describe but I love your great attitude and I see your humor is getting you through much of this, good for you to see the brighter side of things.  Prayers for continued healing and successful treatment.

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                              Participant

Hi Denise,

Swanee

bikerwife
                                                                                Participant

my husband did not do well at all with the WBR lost over 40 pounds was really tired and run down. We switched Dr and went to a Mel specialist. we are very happy with him and had WBR on 7 tumors then new Dr suggested gamma knife we had it and it was a breeze had to have it again 6 months later on 6 Mets this time. Lynn had lots of issues with taste. Eat with plastic eat he ate hot wings because he could taste the hot. Ice cream was also good to him. Good luck and God Bless

bikerwife
                                                                                  Participant

my husband did not do well at all with the WBR lost over 40 pounds was really tired and run down. We switched Dr and went to a Mel specialist. we are very happy with him and had WBR on 7 tumors then new Dr suggested gamma knife we had it and it was a breeze had to have it again 6 months later on 6 Mets this time. Lynn had lots of issues with taste. Eat with plastic eat he ate hot wings because he could taste the hot. Ice cream was also good to him. Good luck and God Bless

bikerwife
                                                                                    Participant

POW
                                                                                      Participant

Hi, Denise-

It's so good to hear from you and to hear that you are doing so well! My brother's doctors said that it takes 3 or 4 weeks for the melanoma cells to die from radiation, so you can expect continued improvement with time. And if the Zelboraf is working on a tumor you can see, you can be fairly confident that it is working on your brain tumors, too. Hooray!

I hope you continue to feel better and better, have few side effects, and kick that melanoma's butt! You're doing great.

LynnLuc forwarded a message from Linda Halely's son, Brandon, 2 days ago saying that Linda was comfortable and peaceful in hospice and surrounded by her family. Linda's ability to savor her life, enjoy her family, and support the rest of us for so many years after her diagnosis will always be an inspiration to me.  

POW
                                                                                        Participant

Hi, Denise-

It's so good to hear from you and to hear that you are doing so well! My brother's doctors said that it takes 3 or 4 weeks for the melanoma cells to die from radiation, so you can expect continued improvement with time. And if the Zelboraf is working on a tumor you can see, you can be fairly confident that it is working on your brain tumors, too. Hooray!

I hope you continue to feel better and better, have few side effects, and kick that melanoma's butt! You're doing great.

LynnLuc forwarded a message from Linda Halely's son, Brandon, 2 days ago saying that Linda was comfortable and peaceful in hospice and surrounded by her family. Linda's ability to savor her life, enjoy her family, and support the rest of us for so many years after her diagnosis will always be an inspiration to me.  

POW
                                                                                          Participant

Hi, Denise-

awillett1991
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              So good to hear from you! I hope you continue us to feel well. Ask lots of questions and continue to fight! I scavenged data together and made pie charts about all my Zel dosing to date and took it to my appointment Tues. I have been on and off 9 months now and am now starting 2 wks on/1 wk off. Be your own advocate!

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                So good to hear from you! I hope you continue us to feel well. Ask lots of questions and continue to fight! I scavenged data together and made pie charts about all my Zel dosing to date and took it to my appointment Tues. I have been on and off 9 months now and am now starting 2 wks on/1 wk off. Be your own advocate!

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                                                Participant

Amy

Owl
                                                                                                  Participant

Denise, finally good news from you, I am so happy for you, keep on fighting! Jenny

Owl
                                                                                                    Participant

Denise, finally good news from you, I am so happy for you, keep on fighting! Jenny

Owl
                                                                                                      Participant

Richard_K
                                                                                                        Participant

Denise,

Great to read about your progress, there is something to be said about having a visible tumor that you can just see getting smaller.  Here’s to continued improvement, no joint pain, no rash, and a return of food tastes (my taste issues only lasted a few months).

Dick

Snickers60
                                                                                                            Participant

Way to go Denise !!!   Way to go !   You sound so positive and upbeat.  I love that. 

Wayne is also a complete responder.    ALL liver, lungs, sternum, and spine gone in 7 weeks.   We are at MDA now waiting on Brain MRI and PET results TOMORROW……….shaky knees.  πŸ™‚ 

Glad to see you are on Benfotiamine.  That stuff has been a miracle for Wayne (and I). 

He said things tasted a little funny sometimes in the beginning on ZEL, but now he eats like a horse.  His rash went completely away an he has no more joint pain.   Feet a little and HIS HAIR is coming back great guns even while on ZEL.   It's so CURLY, and his head smells just like a newborn babe.   The rash was on top of his head also, but that too has gone away. 

A new thing I'm adding to Wayen's regimen is KIWI.    I learned one KIWI has the vit. c of 2 large oranges, more potassium than a banana and more anti-oxdiants than just about anything food you can name.   ONE KIWI – go figure.   They recommend 2 a day.   Just cut half in two and eat with a spoon or put on salad.   They even puried it with a little sugar and put it on ice cream and said it was awesome.   Going to try all the above when we get back home.  In Houston now. 

Wayne also take a B-50 Complex – a combo of all of the B's.   He's taking a IRON SUPPLEMENT also….jell cap….and it has helped his ENERGY BIG TIME.  

That's all I can think of off the top of my hat other than what you named.    He does Fish Oil, Vit. D., B-50, Benfotiamine, Turmeric……ugh….I don't have his list with me, but the B's, the Iron, and the Benfo have proven to be lifechanging for him.   He has more energy than ever before.   Was diagnosed last March and by June 13 it was all gone on ZEL and he has remained NED since then.    OH, and he also does soda water to watch his ALKALINE STRIPS and keep himself ALKALINE….very, very important we believe.    Cancer loves an Acidic body…….

YOU GO GIRL…………love you spirit.

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne) 

Snickers60
                                                                                                              Participant

Way to go Denise !!!   Way to go !   You sound so positive and upbeat.  I love that. 

Wayne is also a complete responder.    ALL liver, lungs, sternum, and spine gone in 7 weeks.   We are at MDA now waiting on Brain MRI and PET results TOMORROW……….shaky knees.  πŸ™‚ 

Glad to see you are on Benfotiamine.  That stuff has been a miracle for Wayne (and I). 

He said things tasted a little funny sometimes in the beginning on ZEL, but now he eats like a horse.  His rash went completely away an he has no more joint pain.   Feet a little and HIS HAIR is coming back great guns even while on ZEL.   It's so CURLY, and his head smells just like a newborn babe.   The rash was on top of his head also, but that too has gone away. 

A new thing I'm adding to Wayen's regimen is KIWI.    I learned one KIWI has the vit. c of 2 large oranges, more potassium than a banana and more anti-oxdiants than just about anything food you can name.   ONE KIWI – go figure.   They recommend 2 a day.   Just cut half in two and eat with a spoon or put on salad.   They even puried it with a little sugar and put it on ice cream and said it was awesome.   Going to try all the above when we get back home.  In Houston now. 

Wayne also take a B-50 Complex – a combo of all of the B's.   He's taking a IRON SUPPLEMENT also….jell cap….and it has helped his ENERGY BIG TIME.  

That's all I can think of off the top of my hat other than what you named.    He does Fish Oil, Vit. D., B-50, Benfotiamine, Turmeric……ugh….I don't have his list with me, but the B's, the Iron, and the Benfo have proven to be lifechanging for him.   He has more energy than ever before.   Was diagnosed last March and by June 13 it was all gone on ZEL and he has remained NED since then.    OH, and he also does soda water to watch his ALKALINE STRIPS and keep himself ALKALINE….very, very important we believe.    Cancer loves an Acidic body…….

Snickers60
                                                                                                                Participant

Richard_K
                                                                                                                Participant

Denise,

Great to read about your progress, there is something to be said about having a visible tumor that you can just see getting smaller.  Here’s to continued improvement, no joint pain, no rash, and a return of food tastes (my taste issues only lasted a few months).

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                  Participant

Denise,

Dick

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics