The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thyroid Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Thyroid Question

Participant
      Have had 2 rounds of the combo opdivo/yervoy, scheduled for #3 on Monday. Just wondering if my low TSH results could hold this up? Last 2 times it was tested it was ok, 1.5 and 1.8. Todays results are 0.05. Also will they treat this low level or will they just continue to monitor? Last round of the combo is scheduled for early December with Labs scheduled in the middle of December. Will start on opdivo alone at the end of December. Have been doing good on the combo so far, only major side effects has been itching and some nausea.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        guynamedbilly
        Participant
          I’ve never had treatment held back because of that. More likely, they will just also start you on synthroid or increase your dose.
          Hukill
          Participant
            It knock my thyroid out also, never any discussion about missing a treatment. Was put on medication for it, 3 years later still on them.
            Hukill
            Participant
              Only thing that almost delayed a treatment for me was low potassium which I have been on prescription potassium now for almost 3 years also.
              sks2019
              Participant
                Hi, My mom is on ipi/nivo combo she had 3 infusions already . Her TSH was normal after first two but after third it went down like 0.05 , I checked with nurse he said she is becoming hyperthyroid and they dont treat that with any medicines. Due to the hyperthyroidism her appetitie has gone up. They will just continue to monitor the TSH level. She has no other side effects besides being fatigued. Her treatments options are being reviewed today as the latest CT shows progression in liver. so not sure if she will have dose 4.
                  fedupnurse67
                  Participant
                    Did she gain weight with her appetite going up? If the thyroid level was so low, why hyperthyroid?
                    MelMel
                    Participant
                      TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is secreted by the pituitary gland in order to produce T3 and T4. In hyperthyroidism, TSH is low but T3 and T4 are high.
                      Although these patients generally lose weight due to an increased metabolic rate, some patients gain weight because of increased food intake due to an increased appetite.
                      The following website may be helpful.
                      http://www.mythyroid.com/hyperthyroidism.html
                      Melanie
                    MelanomaMike
                    Participant
                      Hi Fedup, back in my Pembro days after id say infusion #3 it Kentucky Fried my Thyroid, sluggish, slurred speach, lethargic, no energy etc. for good measures i skipped one week only, not a whole 3 week wait wich is the dosing for Pembro, i was put on Livothyroxine 250mcg (eventually it was 250mgc) i was fine after the Livo’s saturated my system after a few days….
                  Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics