The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Those on anti-dp1 trials…previous steroid use an exclusion?

Forums General Melanoma Community Those on anti-dp1 trials…previous steroid use an exclusion?

Participant

OK folks, quick question.  Will Dave's previous history of optic neuropathy and need for high dose steroids on IL-2 exclude him from the anti-pd1 trials?  He goes to the Hillman Cancer Center on the 12th to see about the MK-3475 trial.  His oncologist (God Bless him), although pushing Dave to do the IPI,  is also calling Memorial Sloan directly for him to see about their IPI/MDX-1106 combo (or any anti-pd1s).  Hopefully we'll hear back from him soon.

OK folks, quick question.  Will Dave's previous history of optic neuropathy and need for high dose steroids on IL-2 exclude him from the anti-pd1 trials?  He goes to the Hillman Cancer Center on the 12th to see about the MK-3475 trial.  His oncologist (God Bless him), although pushing Dave to do the IPI,  is also calling Memorial Sloan directly for him to see about their IPI/MDX-1106 combo (or any anti-pd1s).  Hopefully we'll hear back from him soon.

I just don't want to wait two weeks for an appointment, only to find out he won't qualify anyways.

As always, thank you….

Maria

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Maria, I have been reading the info on an anti-PD1 (MDX-1106) trial at:
          http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01176461?term=anti-pd1&rank=3
          The eligibility criteria says that: "No concurrent medical condition requiring the use
          of immunosuppressive doses of systemic or absorbable topical corticosteroids."

Therefore, it looks like Dave would need to be off steriods before starting MDX-1106
          treatment. However, that would need to be confirmed by the oncologist.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

The eligibility criteria says that: "No concurrent medical condition requiring the use

Therefore, it looks like Dave would need to be off steriods before starting MDX-1106

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

LynnLuc
              Participant

Frank is right…no concurrant use because MDX 1106 boosts the immune system and steroids lower it…my onc would not let me do steroids for a blistery rash on my hands and feet  that the derm doc prescribed …NO steroids while on Anti PD 1…it defeats the purpose… Prior use will not exclude him however…

MeNDave
                  Participant

Well, according to Memorial Sloan and Dr. Wolchuk (who Khushalani spoke with today), he doesn't qualify for the MDX-1106/IPI combo because of his previous optic neuropathy.  However, Khushalani,  after conferring with his associates in the Mel community, has decided that the anti-pdl-1 mdx-1105 (offered at Roswell) is a better next line treatment than IPI.  So tommorow we will meet with the trial nurse.

Keep your fingers crossed!! 

amandakohring
                    Participant

Hi.  It is late and I am scared and reading.  I am just curious about PD-1.  My husband is not offered much at his cancer treatment hospital and it seems like your husband was offered trials 2 years ago.  My husband needs the PD-1 but is on 10mg steroid for brain swelling.  Any suggestions.  You seem to possiby know way more than me.  This is the first time I have ever posted anything on here.  We are desperate.

thanks…Amanda

amandakohring
                      Participant

Hi.  It is late and I am scared and reading.  I am just curious about PD-1.  My husband is not offered much at his cancer treatment hospital and it seems like your husband was offered trials 2 years ago.  My husband needs the PD-1 but is on 10mg steroid for brain swelling.  Any suggestions.  You seem to possiby know way more than me.  This is the first time I have ever posted anything on here.  We are desperate.

thanks…Amanda

amandakohring
                        Participant

thanks…Amanda

MeNDave
                          Participant

Well, according to Memorial Sloan and Dr. Wolchuk (who Khushalani spoke with today), he doesn't qualify for the MDX-1106/IPI combo because of his previous optic neuropathy.  However, Khushalani,  after conferring with his associates in the Mel community, has decided that the anti-pdl-1 mdx-1105 (offered at Roswell) is a better next line treatment than IPI.  So tommorow we will meet with the trial nurse.

MeNDave
                            Participant

LynnLuc
                            Participant

Frank is right…no concurrant use because MDX 1106 boosts the immune system and steroids lower it…my onc would not let me do steroids for a blistery rash on my hands and feet  that the derm doc prescribed …NO steroids while on Anti PD 1…it defeats the purpose… Prior use will not exclude him however…

LynnLuc
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics