The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

This is the first step to heal from cancer and what your doctor doesn’t tell you

Forums General Melanoma Community This is the first step to heal from cancer and what your doctor doesn’t tell you

Participant
      This is the first step to heal from cancer and what your doctor doesn’t tell you
      What keeps you hopeful and resilient even in the shadow of cancer?
      I have worked with people who are in remission, who are going through cancer and whose loved ones have cancer.
      What I have seen is that the number one ingredient for healing is having a reason to live!
      A REASON TO LIVE!!!
      No matter what treatment you follow,
      what kind of amazing doctors, and healers you work with,
      you got to truly connect with a reason to be healthy and to live many more years.
      And this doesn’t come in a prescription or in a drug.
      A true reason to live has got to come from your heart.
      I hear you that it is difficult especially at such a tough time when you hear so many negative comments and news about your health, and your future.
      And I want to acknowledge your strength and courage while going through one of the most difficult journeys in life.
      Here is my point with this email:
      No matter how hard it feels and what others including your loved ones and your doctors say,
      the power to turn your health around and live many more years is within you.
      Let’s start from connecting you with your true reason to live!

from an email with permission to post here

With Love,

Evrim Numanoglu Ozgen
      Transformational Coach & Energy Healer
      Theta Healing Practitioner and Instructor
      https://www.facebook.com/EvrimNOzgen

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        it0m55
        Participant
          Thanks Gene… you’re so right. Amen. This site is priceless to me…

God Bless,
          Tom

Hitchens
          Participant
            Thank you for pointing to yet another snake oil sales person. I appreciate you assisting in identifying as many of these charlatans as possible. Keep up the good work!
              Gene_S
              Participant
                Who say anything about the ThetaHealing system? Seems to me that we got another shill here!
                Bubbles
                Participant
                  So Gene,

If we were to follow the “logic” that your article touts, that would mean that all the folks who have died from cancer and other diseases just didn’t have the “will to live” – failed to ‘consciously [make] a “decision to live. ‘ Well, I call BS!! NOPE!!!!!!!!!! Never. Not buy’n it!!!

As I wrote here in 2017: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/06/asco-2017-friends-in-need-are-friends.html

I do NOT believe in blaming the patient (their diet, stress, attitude, etc., etc.) for the development of their disease process…much less death!!!! I do believe in hope. I believe in finding joy in every thing we can and living every minute of life to the fullest. Play hard. Work hard. Love and laugh even harder. Those were my abiding principles before melanoma and they continue to be so now. However, as I’ve noted before, my belief that you can emote yourself out of cancer falls more along these lines:

I wrote this in 2012 ~ As much as we would like to truly believe that positivity can overcome anything and some studies demonstrate a beneficial effect from the “laughter is the best medicine” sort of thing. Many books and studies out there prove otherwise. David Rakoff, the incredibly funny, journalist and writer (1964-2012) talks about many of them in his book “Half Empty”. He experienced 18 months of chemo and radiation at the age of 22 when diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease, only to have a tumor that eventually took his life recur in his shoulder and metastasize. Perhaps, he said it best in an interview with John Stewart. “There was a study that showed that the long term mortality of people with lousy attitudes is no different from people with great attitudes. So, you can be the worst bastard on the ward and you will not die at any greater rate than the other people. People will simply be gladder when you do!”
                  —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
                  I think most folks here view me as a positive and optimistic being. My husband calls me “Bubbles” for heaven’s sake!!! I believe in exercise. I believe in good nutrition. I believe in making peace with the past. I believe in looking forward. I believe in science. I KNOW I wouldn’t be here without having had the incredible luck of gaining access to an anti-PD-1 Phase 1 trial at a time when melanoma patients were dying due to a lack of effective treatments. Did they all die because they did not believe hard enough in life? Absolutely not.

Lot’s of newly diagnosed and desperate peeps come to this forum for help daily. Let’s make sure we help them, rather than BLAME them for all the failures they have made in handling stress, poor life choices they have followed, and the inadequate diets and healthcare regimens they have participated in. In one of my classes as a professor of nursing, I started the lecture with a list of questions that went something like…

Have you ever ridden in a car without a seat belt?
                  Ever smoked a cigarette?
                  Had unprotected sex?
                  Lived a day (a week? a month?) eating a diet made up primarily of ding dongs, cheetos, and ramen?
                  Drank alcohol?
                  Are overweight?
                  Underweight?

It went on. Students were admonished to remain silent on any and all answers. They were told, instead, to remember their answers when caring for their patients. Whatever the patient may, or may not have done, in their life is not something we are here to pass judgement on. We are here to help them come to the most healthy place they can be.

Are there things we can do to improve our health? Absolutely!!! Will I blame the patient for the illness and death? Absolutely not.
                  Just my take. celeste

Gene_S
                  Participant
                    Celeste,
                    The medical system killed David Rakoff. He died from chemo just like my daughter. Listen to Suzanne Somers Throws Knockout for Cancer on youtube. There are only three types of cancer that chemo works for and his wasn’t one of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-aYxu4Uys0 So if I know this why did his oncologist not know this? Read the comments below the video to find out

PS This was in my inbox today Jerry D. Boyd, founding editor of The Cancer Letter, pioneer of cancer journalism, dies at 91. He been wring about cancer for decades but it still here why?

Hitchens
                    Participant
                      Gene
                      I am sorry for the loss of your daughter but really you are sourcing Suzanne Somers. That is like sourcing Jenny McCarthy regarding vaccines and autism.
                      Gene_S
                      Participant
                        So if you think she is wrong (Suzanne Somers) do you really think that the America Cancer Society, FDA, NCI and the AMA would let her book still be available for purchase? Why no rebuttal against it? Why haven’t they sued her for false information and banned her book for false information? I have read the book and in my opinion it has some very good information. Did you read the comments below the video?

As far as Jenny McCarthy here is the answer…
                        What You Need to Know About the ‘Discredited Autism Study’
                        https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/09/28/vaxxed-film-on-vaccine-safety.aspx

I bet that you didn’t know that only two countries allow drug commercials on TV. The USA and New Zealand. Why do you think that is?
                        Do you know the medical profession has lower respect than politicians?

Hitchens
                        Participant
                          Gene

I assume you are aware of the first amendment regarding freedom of speech. Just because they have a soap box doesn’t make them an expert. Seriously these are individuals that you are pro-porting as experts. Please provide empirical evidence. Just because you speak doesn’t meant what you say is relevant.

Hitchens
                          Participant
                            Gene

Your profile indicates that you have been treated by medical professionals for melanoma. Not the sites you have recently posted. What am I missing

Bubbles
                          Participant
                            Wow, Gene! I was just about to convince myself that my ‘will to live’ was going to save me. (Though I wonder how come Rosenbaum allowed himself to succumb to a stroke!) Now you’ve taken the wind out of my sails as I prepare to meet my doom, since I just finished chemo. Oh, well. What’s a girl to do? Thanks for the encouragement!!! c
                              Gene_S
                              Participant
                                My Dear Celeste,
                                I do not mean to cause you any grief. Sometimes the truth hurts and sometimes people change when they learn the truth. At my age, I do not believe in coincidences as there is a reason for almost anything that happens in life. That said, in my opinion disease starts with your thoughts and regrets. So again in my opinion you need to spend some time reflecting on your past.

Start with the Mind-Body Connection

https://www.google.com/search?q=thoughts+that+cause+dis-ease&rlz=1C1CHWL_enUS772US772&oq=thoughts+that+cause+dis-ease&aqs=chrome..69i57.15096j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
                                Sincerely,
                                Gene

Here is some info that may be of interest to you?

A Very Open Letter from an Oncologist

An Oncologist Speaks Out: Chemo Makes Us Money, But It Doesn’t Work

Why Aren’t We Winning The War On Cancer?

20 things you need to know about chemotherapy

https://www.canceractive.com/article/20-things-you-need-to-know-about-chemotherapy

http://anticancersupplements.blogspot.com/p/recommended-reading.html

Bubbles
                                Participant
                                  Well Gene,
                                  My cancer cat’s already out of the bag. My chemo has already been endured and no doubt poisoned me!! I don’t think pseudo science and rudeness will cure me either. I didn’t know age provided cover for reckless presumptions regarding the lives of others and the freedom to levy accusations of “thoughts and regrets” that make me deserving of cancer and bad Karma. (Cancer times 2 even! I am truly grateful to you and cancer for shining such a bright light on my horrid, ill considered, and regret filled life!!!) Still, despite your grand illumination, I don’t live in the past, so I really don’t get why rehashing it will cure me. I could pass on the two choice words my husband advised I share with you ~ but instead, I’ll just recommend you take a long hard look in the mirror. I’m so glad you don’t have to worry about your perfect past, but you might spend a moment thinking about what you say to others today. c
                                  maryb-z
                                  Participant
                                    Ugh!!! Gene I beg of you to just leave your opinions to yourself. Remove yourself from this board. I can’t speak for everyone, but I’ll take empirical research over pseudo science any day. Suzanne Somers? Seriously? Is she the one who played the dumb blond in Threes Company? I’m beyond irritated. I’m asking nicely, go away.
                                    Gene_S
                                    Participant
                                      It’s a shame when you don’t know/realize that Three Company was a comedy show.
                                      Suzanne is a actress. The same as the actor Hugh Laurie that was a doctor in the popular TV show House..
                                      Bubbles
                                      Participant
                                        That’s the exact point, Gene. “Suzanne is a actress.” Not a medical professional. Not a person with knowledge regarding research and statistics. Not a person with a degree in biology or immunology. Not anyone with training and expertise in cancer and its treatments.
                                        Gene_S
                                        Participant
                                          So once an actress always an actress? What closed mind thinking! She was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to live. Read her book as I did and you will have a different opinion. She did a lot of research before writing it. She interviewed a lot of doctors. In my opinion the medical profession would have issued a rebuttal calling her out if the info was not true.
                                          Brian j
                                          Participant
                                            Gene, Everyone who reads her book should read the following review. Verry revealing about her misstatements.
                                            https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/suzanne-somers-knockout-spreading-dangerous-misinformation-about-cancer-part-1/
                                            Gene_S
                                            Participant
                                              Is sciencebasedmedicine.org a credible website?

by Doug Pearl
                                              Updated Feb 23, 2019
                                              Short answer:

No. It’s an echo chamber for the most regressive and insane ideas from Big Medicine. Like a cult or religious sect. Should be called faithbasedmedicine. org.

Long answer:

Appears to be an “astroturf” site that advances the cause of pharma-based medicine through methodical and often irrational assaults on all other approaches. The site is cloaked in an aura of scientific rigor, but is clearly a fierce and dogmatic defense of status quo allopathy. These guys are extremists and ideologues. Much of the editorial content is focused around discrediting, mocking, condemning. Little space is given to what they actually believe in. By process of elimination, they appear to believe in very little, seemingly only the most rigidly circumscribed allopathic orthodoxies.

One of the main tactics is to lump all non-mainstream approaches together as “CAM”, as if they are some unified whole that can be easily dismissed. It’s a term of propaganda and belies the site’s alleged objectivity. They write sententious and overbearing articles heavy on technical jargon that look and sound convincing but are just hit pieces that often prove or settle nothing.

They are ostensibly concerned with rooting out quackery, but only when it appears outside the mainstream system. They write article after article decrying the terrible evils of homeopathy and acupuncture, but scant few on the rampant corruption and iatrogenesis and quackery and lethality in conventional medicine. This hypocrisy kills credibility.

The discussion threads that follow the articles are distinctly cultic. The rare dissenter is usually shouted down and mocked by the mob of regulars. In the absence of meaningful opposition and checks and balances, systems and groups usually drift toward fanaticism.

The very idea of natural medicine sends them into convulsive fits. Nature is a dangerous hell that must be conquered and subdued, and its only value is in providing the raw material from which modern medicine can synthesize “real medicine” in a lab.

Their belief is that people should only pay attention to what has been “proven” to work by rigged, industry-funded clinical trials, and that all health matters should be routed through your white-coat MD, the FDA, and their Pharma overlords. The site is an effective marketing and propaganda tool toward that end, but of little value to anyone with an open mind.

Brian j
                                              Participant
                                                Gene, Kinda Scant information on Doug Pearle other than a kinda creepy Imoji on his profile. At this point I think I trust the qualified and Identified Doctors and Scientists on sciencebasedmedicine.org more.
                                                https://www.quora.com/profile/Doug-Pearl
                                                Gene_S
                                                Participant
                                                  If you can stomach the under educated ramblings as an authority on things he knows nothing about. Watch “Quackademic Medicine – David H. Gorski, MD” on YouTube

Real book reviews… learn something

Hitchens
                                                  Participant
                                                    Gene

The reviews are an echo chamber.

If you want to read something factual I can provide the obit of my sister in law. At 50 she died less than 6 months after discovering stage 4 Bowel cancer. She was a homeopathic practitioner that lived in the gym and only ate organic. She treated herself along with support from her colleagues. She juiced, cleansed, took her remedies.
                                                    She did not take chemo, immunotherapy, radiation , surgery or any other defined treatment.
                                                    We both got diagnosed within 6 months of each other with stage 3 melanoma.
                                                    She is dead and I am the one rebuffing your posts. Maybe it is a coincidence but I certainly don’t think so

Bubbles
                                                    Participant
                                                      Sorry for your loss, Hitchens. But, your sister in law very sadly provides an example of the far too common outcome for those who choose to approach melanoma in a “natural” way and eschew appropriate therapy. (A choice Gene did NOT make, as you have noted!!!!!) Sadly, there have been many such folks on this forum over the years. It was a bit understandable in the Dark Age of Melanoma, when NO valid treatments were available. (That time ended only in 2011, y’all!!!) Even then, I hated seeing the desperation with which they put themselves and their families through what were often incredibly expensive and miserable “therapies” that ended with their demise. Since then, most folks have seen the writing on the wall and opted for proven immunotherapy or targeted treatments that, while far from perfect in regard to side effects and efficacy, have saved thousands of lives. I have had the incredibly sad experience of counseling folks who contact me through this site and via my blog on legitimate treatment options rather than postponing valid treatment, or opting for a more “natural” path, only to have them reach back in desperation, when SHOCKINGLY ~ “nature” worked in melanoma’s favor. Devastatingly, much like antibiotics that work incredibly well when dealing with an infection in the early phase, but fail in the face of overwhelming sepsis, these folks who initially let nature take its course with melanoma, are often beyond the reach of effective therapies at that point.

Here’s a bit of reading – since Gene is fond of recommending sites to educate us – that may interest you, though you may already be familiar with it: https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/cancer.html

You can read it, too, Gene. Though I suspect you will continue in your closed minded nonsense, made even more ludicrous since you are still with us thanks to an early ipi trial. Something I only bother to combat because of the new and desperate folks who join this forum daily.

Thanks for your help, Hitch. This road can get lonely not to mention tiresome. Most folks on this site see what’s what rather quickly. But the risk of letting inaccuracy stand is too great to the newly diagnosed and frighten peeps who come here looking for a miracle cure. Wishing you a great day, celeste

Gene_S
                                                      Participant
                                                        Celeste,

Seriously, this is the best that you can do?

Quackwatch is a website run by an old man in his basement that is not even a MD?

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/quackwatch.com

It is well known in psychology that people perceive things according to how they want to see them.

Best wishes to you with any way you want to perceive your thoughts.

It seems to me that you live to out do everyone on this board so you won… Congratulations!!! as I am not responding to your posts in the future.

Hitchens
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hey Gene

I echo my echo chamber comment, which you ignored. Why don’t you post links from actual reputable sources?
                                                          Right there are none!
                                                          So are you only not going to respond to Celeste’s posts, or you choosing to abstain from posting altogether?

Gene_S
                                                          Participant
                                                            RE: I echo my echo chamber comment, which you ignored.
                                                            Google search says that
                                                            “Echo Chamber Comments” is open source software.
                                                            So what does this have to do with my comments?
                                                            Why don’t you post links from actual reputable sources?
                                                            I would if I know which ones you are referring too… be specific as we have covered many topics here.
                                                            Right there are none!
                                                            I didn’t write the info that was posted, I shared. I gave the sources and got hammered because people that read them here are so closed minded. My guess is that they believe the TV drug commercials that show drugs cure everything. They don’t!
                                                            So are you only not going to respond to Celeste’s posts, or you choosing to abstain from posting altogether?
                                                            I will post when necessary but will not share the real causes of cancer as almost all the readers here will not accept what their cancer was caused from. There is reason that you develop cancer and most people don’t want to know why… just give me the (drugs) fix.

PS. I am sorry about your sister. You should know that it takes many years to develop/earn cancer so to say she died of cancer in 6 months is not a factual statement.

Hitchens
                                                            Participant
                                                              Gene

Regardless of what you read I suggest you read more carefully as it may assist in understanding. It was my sister in Law and not my sister that passed. But your real mistake from my post was she died 6 months following her diagnosis and that she refused all conventional medicine. She treated herself along with her colleagues from her homeopathic clinic.
                                                              She went to emergency with sever abdominal pain. St that visit she was diagnosed stage 4 bowel with spread to liver. The oncologist she met at that visit said with treatment 3 years.
                                                              She refused all treatment (other than juicing, cleanse, remedies, detox, etc) and died a hard miserable death in six months.
                                                              She died at home with her husband and 4 children. Up to a week before she died her children believed their mom there was getting better because she and her colleagues told the family she was getting better.
                                                              The story unfortunately doesn’t end there. With her death the family was shattered. The kids lost the opportunity to have more time with their mother. She could have seen them all graduate high school.
                                                              Now all members of the family are in counseling. The 2 middle kids did not graduate and had to go back to upgrade.
                                                              Gene my point is you post misinformation that not only affects the person that has this horrific disease but their family that is left to pick up the pieces.
                                                              Based on your signature you indicate you are a person of faith. If that is true you should consider how how will be judged for knowingly and willingly spreading false information that negatively affects more people than you will ever know.
                                                              I am not looking for a rebuttal or argument. I only ask that you consider the harm you are posting.

Gene_S
                                                              Participant
                                                                So let me get this straight I repost an article that may help a reader here and I am posting harming info? I don’t get it, why are you shooting the messenger? It was Celeste that diverted the original message why not attack her? If the info is false where is your proof?
                                                                My daughter (age 39) did the conventional cancer treatment (chemo) for colon cancer and died a horrible death leaving 4 kids and a husband with the oldest one having Downs Syndrome. Her husband had a massive heart attack and died two years later leaving my wife and myself to help them with the daily problems of living. I previous mentioned I cannot read your mind so if you want references please specific to which one. Also you do not have to read anything that I post here, so save yourself the hardship! They are reasons one develops cancer and there are more than just conventional ways to treat it. If you want a example look up ways to treat cancer in Germany or Mexico. Thousands of cancer patients go overseas for treatment as they realize that there are different sometime better treatments available. In closing I wish you well.
                                                              MelanomaMike
                                                              Participant
                                                                The Will to live? If we do our treatments Half Ass cuz were to tired & worn out to get out of bed and get to the infusion chair? I hate to break this to ya, my quote Will To Live is mediocre at best, im tired of this crap but, the lack of a “Will” to live still has me Alive and well at 11 years of survival so far with Melanoma, its not my Will to live Gene, Im fully prepared to meet God and be reunited with my Dad & mother, i stay alive cuz my wife & brothers want me alive….Will? Nah, mines not strong, yet im still here…
                                                            Viewing 4 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics