The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

the struggle of the unknown

Forums General Melanoma Community the struggle of the unknown

Participant

Hi all

I've posted several times previously–my husband is Stage 4, multiple mets, currently on Yervoy.  I am struggling severely with not knowing the future.  I don't expect anyone here to tell me what the future holds, because no one knows!  But, if I could have any help in how to  manage this "land of limbo", I would really appreciate it.  I try to live one day at a time, but I'm finding it very hard.  Does Pete (my husband) have only months to live? 2 years?  5 years?  No one knows…But I have to make decisions about my career (I recently decided to take a leave from my job), and I feel the need to wrap my head around what my life is going to be like going forward.  But, it seems that I can't do that because it's a big grey area (that's how Canadians spell grey, haha).  Are these treatments "buying time" and that's the best we can hope for?  Is there a chance this cancer could be cured?  What are we really and honestly dealing with??  These are the questions that I go to sleep with and wake up with–no answers to be found.  Thanks for any insight on this!

Yasmin

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

I don't have any sage advice and different coping strategies work for different people.  For me, however, mindfulness meditation has made a noticeable difference.  I'd recommend an in-person MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction) course.  They are offered by many hospitals and universities.

Mat
          Participant

I don't have any sage advice and different coping strategies work for different people.  For me, however, mindfulness meditation has made a noticeable difference.  I'd recommend an in-person MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction) course.  They are offered by many hospitals and universities.

Mat
            Participant

yazziemac
                Participant

Thanks Mat 🙂

yazziemac
                  Participant

Thanks Mat 🙂

yazziemac
                    Participant

Thanks Mat 🙂

dvd
                    Participant

Jasmin,

I can empathize with your dilemma. As someone who has gone through the worst of stage IV, but have come through, currently, in complete remission, the concept of "future" has morphed through several iterations. There were times when "future" meant wondering what things were going to be like, times when "future" meant seeing tomorrow morning, times when "future" didn't exist and, now, a time when I am completely redefining "future."

I'm sure you have heard the many variations on the advice to live for today, to be "in the moment," to focus on the present…  All wise words and good advice, but a bunch of B.S. when one is wound tight as a spring and searching for answers. 

The answers will come, in time. But waiting for them to develop is incredibly difficult. 

The only way I have felt any level of peace throughout my ordeal has been to meditate. This doesn't mean one must turn into a reclusive monk. There are many forms of meditation and, if one explores, the right form will be revealed — for both you and your husband. It may be relaxation techniques, it may be mindfulness, it may be prayer, it may be chanting, it may be exercise. Whatever works! Find what works and use it selfishly to gain whatever peace you can under the circumstances.

The answers will reveal themselves.

Keep hope.

DVD

dvd
                      Participant

Jasmin,

I can empathize with your dilemma. As someone who has gone through the worst of stage IV, but have come through, currently, in complete remission, the concept of "future" has morphed through several iterations. There were times when "future" meant wondering what things were going to be like, times when "future" meant seeing tomorrow morning, times when "future" didn't exist and, now, a time when I am completely redefining "future."

I'm sure you have heard the many variations on the advice to live for today, to be "in the moment," to focus on the present…  All wise words and good advice, but a bunch of B.S. when one is wound tight as a spring and searching for answers. 

The answers will come, in time. But waiting for them to develop is incredibly difficult. 

The only way I have felt any level of peace throughout my ordeal has been to meditate. This doesn't mean one must turn into a reclusive monk. There are many forms of meditation and, if one explores, the right form will be revealed — for both you and your husband. It may be relaxation techniques, it may be mindfulness, it may be prayer, it may be chanting, it may be exercise. Whatever works! Find what works and use it selfishly to gain whatever peace you can under the circumstances.

Keep hope.

DVD

dvd
                        Participant

Jasmin,

Keep hope.

DVD

kpcollins31
                          Participant

I can understand and sympathize with this myself. I am 41 years old and became stage 4 about 15 months ago… seemed like the sky was falling and it was impossible to think about the future. They cut a large tumor out of my small intentine and by the grace of God I have been NED ever since without treatment.

I understand that this could change at any time, but I am very thankful for the state I am in now. Even though the future is uncertain, I still have goals. I want to get my 3 kids through college and then retire to a quiet place near the ocean. If there is any positive side of this disease, it has taught me what is important in life. I work to live and not the other way around. I want to enjoy time with family and friends. I used to want that fancy car and that really nice house but now I know that is unimportant.

So the only advice I can offer is to enjoy the moment but continue to plan for the future. And it can still be a bright future. None of us know. Don't sweat the small stuff and prioritize what is really important to you. Hang in there.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                            Participant

I can understand and sympathize with this myself. I am 41 years old and became stage 4 about 15 months ago… seemed like the sky was falling and it was impossible to think about the future. They cut a large tumor out of my small intentine and by the grace of God I have been NED ever since without treatment.

I understand that this could change at any time, but I am very thankful for the state I am in now. Even though the future is uncertain, I still have goals. I want to get my 3 kids through college and then retire to a quiet place near the ocean. If there is any positive side of this disease, it has taught me what is important in life. I work to live and not the other way around. I want to enjoy time with family and friends. I used to want that fancy car and that really nice house but now I know that is unimportant.

So the only advice I can offer is to enjoy the moment but continue to plan for the future. And it can still be a bright future. None of us know. Don't sweat the small stuff and prioritize what is really important to you. Hang in there.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                              Participant

Kevin

yazziemac
                                  Participant

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.  It really is a comfort to me that I am not alone in this and that others truly understand the struggle.  

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                    Participant

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.  It really is a comfort to me that I am not alone in this and that others truly understand the struggle.  

Yasmin

eturner82
                                      Participant

Hi Yasmin

I sent you a private message (I hope you get it). I understand how you feel and struggle with the same questions :(…. I am so comforted by knowing I'm not alone and the people on this forum are such brave fighters like my husband!

Emily

eturner82
                                        Participant

Hi Yasmin

I sent you a private message (I hope you get it). I understand how you feel and struggle with the same questions :(…. I am so comforted by knowing I'm not alone and the people on this forum are such brave fighters like my husband!

Emily

yazziemac
                                          Participant

Thanks, Emily!

yazziemac
                                            Participant

Thanks, Emily!

yazziemac
                                              Participant

Thanks, Emily!

eturner82
                                                Participant

Hi Yasmin

Emily

yazziemac
                                                  Participant

Yasmin

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics