The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

surgery vs. immunotherapy

Forums General Melanoma Community surgery vs. immunotherapy

Participant
      hi all. my husband recently diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. this seems to be from a melanoma he had removed surgically in 2013. he has a 3×4 cm. tumor in his lower left lung lobe and 2 lymph nodes up near his bronchial area. he is considering having the tumor and lymph nodes removed. he is also considering immunotherapy.
      Have any of you had similar experience and if so, what worked for you? We do realize it will pop up somewhere else at some point
      Thanks for your thoughts!
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          I’ve done both! I had a tumor removed, via surgical removal of the right upper lobe of my lung, and a brain tumor zapped with radiation in 2010 and followed that with participation in a nivolumab (Opdivo) trial and remain NED for melanoma with no further treatment to this day. Since those early trials, we’ve learned a great deal about immunotherapy – including the fact that it works best with the lowest tumor burden and when combined with radiation in patients for whom that is needed and/or an option. I’m sure many others will chime in with their experiences. Wishing you both my best. Celeste
          lkb
          Participant
            I had two partial neck dissections; local recurrence within a year after the first and within weeks of the second. Surgery no longer an option, but I’ve been helped greatly by Pembro infusions and intralesional injections of IL-12 (trial), plus one targeted radiation treatment (brain). Five tumors 12 months ago; 1 tumor now. Hope that info is helpful. Wishing you and your husband the best!
            Lisa
            MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Hi Bill, i had a very similar situation as your husband, diagnosed in 2008, had numerous surgeries like every year & a half to Mel tumors that would pop up & seem to only want to live in my left leg (including groins lymphnodes) but, by 2017 they migrated to my lungs and was faced with the very same question, Surgery or Immunal Therapy? (Apparently radiation doesnt work well with lung mets so, that was outta the game plan) i chose Pembrolizumab (Keytruda)… Think this Bill, Immunal therapy takes a little time, Surgeries are “instant”, your walking out the hospital tumor free assuming they can get to them, or get all of them (clean margins is the goal).. its a rough gig we have even for spouses caregivers & family, our fight is your fight & it sure makes it a lot easier….
                maryb-z
                Participant
                  I have had several surgeries since 2009. I am currently entering my second year of Opdivo. Hoping this gives me a longer reprieve from the beast. Best of luck and prayers to your hubby.
                JudiAU
                Participant
                  “Considered it” makes I it sound like a choice which I guess it is but not to many people will view it that way. When my original melanoma was diagnosed (2012, 2B) 5 year survival rates where reported as 5%. I was sure it was fatal.

Well, it did reoccur and I am doing all of those things and will probably do all those things, forever? I don’t know. In short, I feel like a mule who is always being kicked. It hurts, so I move until one day I sit down and stop.

For my melanoma, I’ve had a crainiotomy, brain radiation, and 4 doses of the combo. No major side effects. I go on single dose therapy this week. I think you’ll find most oncologist recommend attacking from multiple fronts. PS. I’m still primarily symptom-free from the actual melanoma. I have a number of side effects from brain surgery three times because of an alternate, unrelated, earlier brain tumor.

Best of luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics