The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Struggles with diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Struggles with diagnosis

Participant
      Hi! I would like to introduce my self. I was diagnosis with superficial spreading melanoma stage 3b in April 2012. After snb and wide excision along with lymphorectory in my groin, I have been NED since. For treatment, I decided to participate in the ipi trial offered for 10mg. I finished the infusion phase and have moved forward to the maintainance phase beginning the 24th of this month.

The biggest thing that I have struggled with since my diagnosis is the psychological effects of not being certain of the future. I constantly find myself viewing the statistics and thinking that I may be a casualty to this disease. I doubt myself and my faith. I am afraid of leaving my two children without a mother. I guess the biggest thing I yearn for is peace of mind. I always get a lot of anxiety especially whenever my 3 month scans come up with the study I am in. Does anyone get as anxious and doubtful as I do?

I know I must live for the moment but some reassures for the future would be nice!

Karen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

i don't know anyone can give you what you may be looking for, which is someone to tell you with certainty what will or won't happen, that 100% you'll be ok. . .  for the past year and a half i've searched the internet, done research, obtained 6 different medical opinions. .all in the search of trying to find something that will tell me i'll be ok 100% for certain. . which, of course, nobody can tell me, nobody knows. . .   the statistics are the statistics, but we're all individuals. .  people will say there's risk in everything; driving, walking, etc. . . but that kind of comment doesn't do much to help address specific concerns about a specific disease

NYKaren
            Participant
              Hi Karen,
              Welcome to the club that no-one wants to be in. You will find many helpful, loving, informative people here.
              Congratulations on being NED. it’s a status we all wish for!
              Even for those who attain it, most suffer ” scan-xiety” as you do.
              It’s normal. I’m not there yet, having “failed” Ipi twice, but I hope to join you soon, as after asking to be retested, I am BRAF+ and am doing great on Zelboraf. I think that others who are NED will tell you that it gets easier with time.
              All the best,
              Karen
              karebear1905
              Participant
                Thanks Karen for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.
                karebear1905
                Participant
                  karebear1905
                  Participant
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                      Hi Karen,
                      Welcome to the club that no-one wants to be in. You will find many helpful, loving, informative people here.
                      It’s normal. I’m not there yet, having “failed” Ipi twice, but I hope to join you soon, as after asking to be retested, I am BRAF+ and am doing great on Zelboraf. I think that others who are NED will tell you that it gets easier with time.
                      All the best,
                      Karen
                      NYKaren
                      Participant
                        Hi Karen,
                        All the best,
                        Karen
                      JC
                      Participant

i don't know anyone can give you what you may be looking for, which is someone to tell you with certainty what will or won't happen, that 100% you'll be ok. . .  for the past year and a half i've searched the internet, done research, obtained 6 different medical opinions. .all in the search of trying to find something that will tell me i'll be ok 100% for certain. . which, of course, nobody can tell me, nobody knows. . .   the statistics are the statistics, but we're all individuals. .  people will say there's risk in everything; driving, walking, etc. . . but that kind of comment doesn't do much to help address specific concerns about a specific disease

JC
                        Participant

NYKaren
                          Participant
                            P.S. Don’t read old statistics on the Internet. They’ll have all dead in no time!
                            NYKaren
                            Participant
                              P.S. Don’t read old statistics on the Internet. They’ll have all dead in no time!
                              NYKaren
                              Participant
                                dellriol
                                Participant

We all struggle with the same thing to some degree. I did really well until the Christmas season, but I'm getting better again now. I remind myself that most of the statistics are out of date with so many therapies being introduced within the last few years. I also keep reminding myself that TODAY I am alive…. You sound like you're a Christian…do you have kindle?  I'm reading a free kindle book from Amazon called The Ways of God(finding purpose through your pain)  by Cherie Hill.  You might find it helpful….  good luck as you continue on this journey, and I'll be prayin for ya.

dellriol
                                  Participant

We all struggle with the same thing to some degree. I did really well until the Christmas season, but I'm getting better again now. I remind myself that most of the statistics are out of date with so many therapies being introduced within the last few years. I also keep reminding myself that TODAY I am alive…. You sound like you're a Christian…do you have kindle?  I'm reading a free kindle book from Amazon called The Ways of God(finding purpose through your pain)  by Cherie Hill.  You might find it helpful….  good luck as you continue on this journey, and I'll be prayin for ya.

dellriol
                                    Participant

CarolA
                                      Participant

My suggestion:   go up to that box Search MRF and enter "Stage III roll call"    A roll call of Stage IV survivors comes up first, then look for a Stage III roll call for Mark.   You will find a bunch of encouragement of Stage III survivors.

Karen, all I can say is that it takes time.  A LOT of time.   I was diagnosed Stage III in Feb 2005, WLExcision, SNodeBiopsy showed two nodes with small detection of mel.  Put off the node removal until October 2005 and none of the nodes had melanoma.   May 2008 left breast mastectomy.   NED since.  Never did any adjuvant therapy.   Just surgeries, upping my anti-oxidant food consumption, green tea,  circumin with bioprine is my herb of choice.

Do I panic?  Oh, you betcha!!  Oh boy, do I ever.   BUT, the six months after the appt/scans, I actually learned to relax, let go, and just live, more and more.   It is difficult.   I can't change that for you.   Time will change that for you.   I have just graduated to a one-year check-up.   Am I happy with that?   Initially, no.   I'm going to panic at the six-mnth, lack of appt.  I know me!   Another adjustment.

Advice I garnered from this wonderful group of people:   IF these are truly the last days of your life, are you going to let melanoma also control them to this point of obsessing and taking up that precious time you could spend on something else?

Or, try this:   wallow in it.  Jump in the pity pool.   Suffer,  Look at the internet A LOT.  You're only going to get  yourself deeper in the pool.   Then cry, if that suits you (it suited me), let it out, all out, imagine, "go there"   Then try as hard as  you can to end this method.  Give it it's due, but not days of your life!!

If you feel that pain in your side, your back, your stomach, your leg, your head—-give it five to seven days.   Ok, obviously,if you have severe dibilitating pain you HAVE to call a doctor—I'm talking that nagging, omg is this cancer!???, panic, obsession over some ache/pain.   Thanks (Janner), I now give it seven days and know what?   I tend to forget that I "had" that pain.

Also know that this forum, while so incredibly helpful, can also leave your mind unsettled and, frankly, at times afraid.  I clung to this place, obsessing for hours a day.   I met wonderful people, and at the time, it was helpful for me.   But I had to let go as did many that I "met" here.   This forum is invaluable in the first-hand knowledge we warriors gather, when we need specifics.   But mostly, we have come to learn that our choices are jsut that:  our choices.   There is no right way with dealing with melanoma.   And many, many Stage III melanoma warriors are NOT participants on this board!   The treatments are as varied as the individuals melanoma attacks.

I rambled.   I do take xanax, one-sixth of a daily dose about an hour before my appt for my scan and for the results.  I have never had to take more than that, as that is what works for me.   I got the xanax when I was first diagnosed and was out of emotional control, crying too much.   Nothing makes the scanxiety go away, it just eases it for me.  Trust me saying that you are not alone.   ALL of us have been on that road, at that point where you are.  Good luck and vent here all you want.   We all did at one time or another!

CarolA

CarolA
                                        Participant

My suggestion:   go up to that box Search MRF and enter "Stage III roll call"    A roll call of Stage IV survivors comes up first, then look for a Stage III roll call for Mark.   You will find a bunch of encouragement of Stage III survivors.

Karen, all I can say is that it takes time.  A LOT of time.   I was diagnosed Stage III in Feb 2005, WLExcision, SNodeBiopsy showed two nodes with small detection of mel.  Put off the node removal until October 2005 and none of the nodes had melanoma.   May 2008 left breast mastectomy.   NED since.  Never did any adjuvant therapy.   Just surgeries, upping my anti-oxidant food consumption, green tea,  circumin with bioprine is my herb of choice.

Do I panic?  Oh, you betcha!!  Oh boy, do I ever.   BUT, the six months after the appt/scans, I actually learned to relax, let go, and just live, more and more.   It is difficult.   I can't change that for you.   Time will change that for you.   I have just graduated to a one-year check-up.   Am I happy with that?   Initially, no.   I'm going to panic at the six-mnth, lack of appt.  I know me!   Another adjustment.

Advice I garnered from this wonderful group of people:   IF these are truly the last days of your life, are you going to let melanoma also control them to this point of obsessing and taking up that precious time you could spend on something else?

Or, try this:   wallow in it.  Jump in the pity pool.   Suffer,  Look at the internet A LOT.  You're only going to get  yourself deeper in the pool.   Then cry, if that suits you (it suited me), let it out, all out, imagine, "go there"   Then try as hard as  you can to end this method.  Give it it's due, but not days of your life!!

If you feel that pain in your side, your back, your stomach, your leg, your head—-give it five to seven days.   Ok, obviously,if you have severe dibilitating pain you HAVE to call a doctor—I'm talking that nagging, omg is this cancer!???, panic, obsession over some ache/pain.   Thanks (Janner), I now give it seven days and know what?   I tend to forget that I "had" that pain.

Also know that this forum, while so incredibly helpful, can also leave your mind unsettled and, frankly, at times afraid.  I clung to this place, obsessing for hours a day.   I met wonderful people, and at the time, it was helpful for me.   But I had to let go as did many that I "met" here.   This forum is invaluable in the first-hand knowledge we warriors gather, when we need specifics.   But mostly, we have come to learn that our choices are jsut that:  our choices.   There is no right way with dealing with melanoma.   And many, many Stage III melanoma warriors are NOT participants on this board!   The treatments are as varied as the individuals melanoma attacks.

I rambled.   I do take xanax, one-sixth of a daily dose about an hour before my appt for my scan and for the results.  I have never had to take more than that, as that is what works for me.   I got the xanax when I was first diagnosed and was out of emotional control, crying too much.   Nothing makes the scanxiety go away, it just eases it for me.  Trust me saying that you are not alone.   ALL of us have been on that road, at that point where you are.  Good luck and vent here all you want.   We all did at one time or another!

CarolA

Linny
                                            Participant

I'm so happy you rambled, Carol. laugh I needed to hear many of the things you said. Thank you!

I just got over a "why am I feeling this" situation that started with a dry, unproductive cough. Well fortunately, a scratchy throat, stuffy nose, a slight fever followed. The cough is now quite productive. Never thought I'd be happy to have a cold. LOL

I have a scan coming up on the 29. But the way I see it, is that by 10:00 am on the 29th, I'll know where I stand and can move on to the next chapter. Like you, Carol, I will be armed and ready with my dose of Xanax.

When I was first diagnosed, Xanax alone wasn't cutting it for me. I was on Celexa for about 2 months until I got my emotions in check. But all is good now.

Linny
                                              Participant

I'm so happy you rambled, Carol. laugh I needed to hear many of the things you said. Thank you!

I just got over a "why am I feeling this" situation that started with a dry, unproductive cough. Well fortunately, a scratchy throat, stuffy nose, a slight fever followed. The cough is now quite productive. Never thought I'd be happy to have a cold. LOL

I have a scan coming up on the 29. But the way I see it, is that by 10:00 am on the 29th, I'll know where I stand and can move on to the next chapter. Like you, Carol, I will be armed and ready with my dose of Xanax.

When I was first diagnosed, Xanax alone wasn't cutting it for me. I was on Celexa for about 2 months until I got my emotions in check. But all is good now.

Linny
                                                Participant

karebear1905
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank you so much for your posting Carol! It’s times in despair that some of the best advice you get from others. Thank you for telling me exactly what I need to hear ๐Ÿ˜‰
                                                    karebear1905
                                                    Participant
                                                      Thank you so much for your posting Carol! It’s times in despair that some of the best advice you get from others. Thank you for telling me exactly what I need to hear ๐Ÿ˜‰
                                                      karebear1905
                                                      Participant
                                                      CarolA
                                                      Participant

CarolA

Linny
                                                        Participant

Hi Karen,

You've been given some really good advice by folks so far. I think everyone feels what you're describing to some extent.

You'll get three month scans for at least a year, or whatever time span the study dictates. They are nerve-wracking for sure, but if something suspicious does pop up then doctors can address it immediately. And, it's not always bad news. Scans are part of your new routine. Eventually you'll move to having them every 6 months and I think that some folks are at the point where they have them yearly.

Also, don't read too much on the Internet. And if curiosity gets the best of you, always check the date of the article and take note of when the statistics were gathered. The statistics cited on a lot of them cover a time period where treatment options were really limited. With more options available, surivior statistics are improving. There are a lot of scary posts on this site, but there also are many that are uplifting and positive.

Unfortunately there are go guarantees for anyone, regardless of whether or not they have melanoma.

Linny
                                                          Participant

Hi Karen,

You've been given some really good advice by folks so far. I think everyone feels what you're describing to some extent.

You'll get three month scans for at least a year, or whatever time span the study dictates. They are nerve-wracking for sure, but if something suspicious does pop up then doctors can address it immediately. And, it's not always bad news. Scans are part of your new routine. Eventually you'll move to having them every 6 months and I think that some folks are at the point where they have them yearly.

Also, don't read too much on the Internet. And if curiosity gets the best of you, always check the date of the article and take note of when the statistics were gathered. The statistics cited on a lot of them cover a time period where treatment options were really limited. With more options available, surivior statistics are improving. There are a lot of scary posts on this site, but there also are many that are uplifting and positive.

Unfortunately there are go guarantees for anyone, regardless of whether or not they have melanoma.

Linny
                                                            Participant

Hi Karen,

kpcollins31
                                                              Participant

Karen,

I am stage IIIc (Sep 2012) and also have young children – 3 boys… ages 3, 10, and 11. I can understand the psychological effect and I can say that it is not easy. However, I can say that this disease has given me much more patience and it has taught me to recognize what is truly important in life. I take more time to play with the kids and do things with the family as time allows. I am currently NED as well, and God-willing, I will continue to be for a very long time.

While there are no guarantees in life, there are plenty of long term survivors out there so do not dwell on the statistics. I plan to be one of those long term survivors one day so I can give encouragement to the newly diagnosed. That is not to say I do not have occasional anxiety about the future… that is a normal part of life. Keep your head up and hug the kids a little tighter.   

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                Participant

Karen,

I am stage IIIc (Sep 2012) and also have young children – 3 boys… ages 3, 10, and 11. I can understand the psychological effect and I can say that it is not easy. However, I can say that this disease has given me much more patience and it has taught me to recognize what is truly important in life. I take more time to play with the kids and do things with the family as time allows. I am currently NED as well, and God-willing, I will continue to be for a very long time.

While there are no guarantees in life, there are plenty of long term survivors out there so do not dwell on the statistics. I plan to be one of those long term survivors one day so I can give encouragement to the newly diagnosed. That is not to say I do not have occasional anxiety about the future… that is a normal part of life. Keep your head up and hug the kids a little tighter.   

Kevin

mel123
                                                                    Participant

There's a lot of great advice here. I think that we just have to make the decision every day to think positively, sometimes it's more of a conscious effort than an automatic response! I have scans coming up in 9 days – on my birthday! – and I can tell I'm a little anxious. I just try not to dwell on it, and also don't dwell on the statistics. Here's a blog that can help lift you up when you're worried about the statistics: http://emandmichael.wordpress.com/melanoma-sucks-stories-of-survival/ – for every "bad" story, there's a "good" one! And since none of us are promised tomorrow (melanoma or no melanoma), enjoy life today! Be thankful for all the blessings you've been given.

mel123
                                                                      Participant

There's a lot of great advice here. I think that we just have to make the decision every day to think positively, sometimes it's more of a conscious effort than an automatic response! I have scans coming up in 9 days – on my birthday! – and I can tell I'm a little anxious. I just try not to dwell on it, and also don't dwell on the statistics. Here's a blog that can help lift you up when you're worried about the statistics: http://emandmichael.wordpress.com/melanoma-sucks-stories-of-survival/ – for every "bad" story, there's a "good" one! And since none of us are promised tomorrow (melanoma or no melanoma), enjoy life today! Be thankful for all the blessings you've been given.

mel123
                                                                        Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                        Participant

Karen,

Kevin

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics