The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Still alive and kick’in!

Forums General Melanoma Community Still alive and kick’in!

Participant

I have not been on here for a long time, but I still recognize many of the posters, and what a wonderful thing that is! For those who don't know me, I am a stage IV survivor since March 2006. I am now 35, and have been NED since October 2007. Despite all the odds, I recently gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, who will be 6 months on June 15. She is our miracle baby, for so many reasons, and she and my husband are my world.

I have not been on here for a long time, but I still recognize many of the posters, and what a wonderful thing that is! For those who don't know me, I am a stage IV survivor since March 2006. I am now 35, and have been NED since October 2007. Despite all the odds, I recently gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, who will be 6 months on June 15. She is our miracle baby, for so many reasons, and she and my husband are my world.

I am so excited to hear about all the latest news regarding new drugs that show great promise in fighting melanoma. I had scans last week, and will find out tomorrow if my NED streak has continued. I am more nervous than usual because my doctor often calls me prior to my appt. to tell me all is good (yes he is awesome!), and I have not heard from him yet. He specifically tells me every time that him not calling does not mean bad news, he just may be out of town or unavailable to get the results. But it's hard not to worry!

So hello to all the 'vets' that may remember me, and to all the 'newbies' that are battling the beast. No matter what results I get tomorrow, I am here to say that miracles do happen, and don't ever give up!

Sincerely,

Alison

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Replies
        MaryD
        Participant

Hi Alison,

Thanks for posting that wonderful news which is so encouraging to other Stage IV survivors!   I'm sure your "little miracle" is bringing you so much joy and you are proof that there is life after melanoma.

Congratulations and I expect you will get another clean report tomorrow!

Best regards,

Mary

MaryD
          Participant

Hi Alison,

Thanks for posting that wonderful news which is so encouraging to other Stage IV survivors!   I'm sure your "little miracle" is bringing you so much joy and you are proof that there is life after melanoma.

Congratulations and I expect you will get another clean report tomorrow!

Best regards,

Mary

Rebecca and Bob
            Participant

Hi Alison,

I remember your post back in 2007 and that you did IL-2. My husband was Stage III in 2007 then progress to Stage IV Jan 2008. He also responded to IL-2. He had a relapse but has been NED since 2009, they are not really sure if it was a relapse or residual disease. It will be two years this month if everything goes well. Your story had always given me hope when you posted before, so please don't stop posting!!

Congratulations on your baby and praying for clear scans for you. 

Rebecca

Lisa13
                Participant

Alison,

Your post couldn't have come at a better time – especially since my scan is later this morning.  I'm so happy for you and your family and I truly wish you many more years of NED.  Try not to worry, even though I know it's really hard not to.

I have a 19 month old baby girl and would love to continue to add to our family, but with a Stage 4 diagnosis always looming, I felt it was not possible. You have shown me that miracles do happen and your daughter is the reason why you will continue to fight this beast from coming back.

All the very best to you.

Lisa

Lisa13
                  Participant

Alison,

Your post couldn't have come at a better time – especially since my scan is later this morning.  I'm so happy for you and your family and I truly wish you many more years of NED.  Try not to worry, even though I know it's really hard not to.

I have a 19 month old baby girl and would love to continue to add to our family, but with a Stage 4 diagnosis always looming, I felt it was not possible. You have shown me that miracles do happen and your daughter is the reason why you will continue to fight this beast from coming back.

All the very best to you.

Lisa

Lisa13
                    Participant

Wow, after reading your profile, you are such a trooper (and a fellow Canadian :))! Just when you were down and out after graduating to Stage 4, you kept going – got married, enjoyed your honeymoon, all while going through treatment.  You are someone who obviously doesn't back down and that says alot!  Amazing!

My last scan a month ago showed several tiny nodules in my lungs (too small to know what they are). I'm going back today to see what they look like now and although I'm very nervous, after your reading your story, I've got my strength back 🙂

Lisa

Lisa13
                      Participant

Wow, after reading your profile, you are such a trooper (and a fellow Canadian :))! Just when you were down and out after graduating to Stage 4, you kept going – got married, enjoyed your honeymoon, all while going through treatment.  You are someone who obviously doesn't back down and that says alot!  Amazing!

My last scan a month ago showed several tiny nodules in my lungs (too small to know what they are). I'm going back today to see what they look like now and although I'm very nervous, after your reading your story, I've got my strength back 🙂

Lisa

Rebecca and Bob
                      Participant

Hi Alison,

I remember your post back in 2007 and that you did IL-2. My husband was Stage III in 2007 then progress to Stage IV Jan 2008. He also responded to IL-2. He had a relapse but has been NED since 2009, they are not really sure if it was a relapse or residual disease. It will be two years this month if everything goes well. Your story had always given me hope when you posted before, so please don't stop posting!!

Congratulations on your baby and praying for clear scans for you. 

Rebecca

shellebrownies
                        Participant

Alison,

Thank you for your success story. It certainly is uplifting! : )

Congratulations on your wonderful little girl and absolutely the best of luck with your scan!

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

shellebrownies
                          Participant

Alison,

Thank you for your success story. It certainly is uplifting! : )

Congratulations on your wonderful little girl and absolutely the best of luck with your scan!

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

lhaley
                            Participant

Love,love,love hearing your wonderful news!  A baby must bring such joy into your lives. Great news to hear that you have been able to move on.

Could your Dr have gone for a few days to the ASCO conference?  That would definitely mean he was out of town to be able to look at the report. 

I do remember you, I used to sign as Linda from Myrtle Beach. With the new board and the fact that we moved I changed my name. I've had several recurrances but still here!

Let us know how your scans go and to just give others hope!

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Love,love,love hearing your wonderful news!  A baby must bring such joy into your lives. Great news to hear that you have been able to move on.

Could your Dr have gone for a few days to the ASCO conference?  That would definitely mean he was out of town to be able to look at the report. 

I do remember you, I used to sign as Linda from Myrtle Beach. With the new board and the fact that we moved I changed my name. I've had several recurrances but still here!

Let us know how your scans go and to just give others hope!

Linda

Carol Taylor
                                Participant

Beautiful Alison! Your post came at the perfect time for many. Thank you and enjoy your little girl! They have a way of growing up way too fast. Savor the moment and praying your scans are fine.

Lord, in Your Mercy, smile on Alison and her family and thank You God for miracles. They DO happen! Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                  Participant

Beautiful Alison! Your post came at the perfect time for many. Thank you and enjoy your little girl! They have a way of growing up way too fast. Savor the moment and praying your scans are fine.

Lord, in Your Mercy, smile on Alison and her family and thank You God for miracles. They DO happen! Amen and Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

debandmike
                                    Participant

Wonderful to read this kind of news. I am new to the this Melanoma site and reading posts such as yours gives us such hope. Enjoy your little one : )

Debby and Mike

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Dear Alison,

Congrats on being a stage 4 survivor for YEARS and on the birth of a beautiful baby girl! I am so happy for you!

Yes there are promising great newer treatments, including combinations now of treatments and they are giving us melanoma warriors much needed HOPE!!

Keep up the good work!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                          Participant

Dear Alison,

Congrats on being a stage 4 survivor for YEARS and on the birth of a beautiful baby girl! I am so happy for you!

Yes there are promising great newer treatments, including combinations now of treatments and they are giving us melanoma warriors much needed HOPE!!

Keep up the good work!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

debandmike
                                          Participant

Wonderful to read this kind of news. I am new to the this Melanoma site and reading posts such as yours gives us such hope. Enjoy your little one : )

Debby and Mike

dian in spokane
                                            Participant

Alison!

How nice to hear from you, and what wonderful news about your baby. Congratulations, and thanks so much for bringing us good news!

Dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                                              Participant

Alison!

How nice to hear from you, and what wonderful news about your baby. Congratulations, and thanks so much for bringing us good news!

Dian in spokane

Fen
                                                Participant

Thank you so much for posting your wonderful news.  Thrilled for you and your family.  I hope you have many more years with NED ……and would like to suggest that puppies go well with babies!

Fen

Fen
                                                  Participant

Thank you so much for posting your wonderful news.  Thrilled for you and your family.  I hope you have many more years with NED ……and would like to suggest that puppies go well with babies!

Fen

CLPrice31
                                                    Participant

I am so glad to see your post! I was telling one of my fellow stage III warriors today that we have to sometimes take a break from researching because the majority of the people who are beating this disease are out enjoying their lives, out trying to move on past this cancer!

I wish you a lifetime of happiness! As a 24 year old lady who wants nothing more than to be around to raise babies, your post gives me hope!  Best wishes to you!

CLPrice31
                                                      Participant

I am so glad to see your post! I was telling one of my fellow stage III warriors today that we have to sometimes take a break from researching because the majority of the people who are beating this disease are out enjoying their lives, out trying to move on past this cancer!

I wish you a lifetime of happiness! As a 24 year old lady who wants nothing more than to be around to raise babies, your post gives me hope!  Best wishes to you!

lilred75
                                                        Participant

Thank you all for so much love and support! Well, my week has been a bit unusual. My dr appt. was rescheduled for Wednesday because my doctor was out sick. But I spoke with the nurse and she told me that it appeared my scan results showed no change and no abnormal results, so all appears to be good! I will get the official report Wednesday from my doctor, but it seems all is well on the "interior:. However, I got a call today from my derm dr, and a mole she removed last week came back as melanoma stage 1. Very thin, no node involvement, and has no affect on my "status" or life longevity. I just need to have the margins cleared, and that is that…but now I wonder…can I still be considered NED since October 2007? It hasn't reoccurred internally…aw screw it! I can make my own rules and I say I am still NED! 🙂

Rebecca and Bob
                                                            Participant

I was wondering about your news. I didn't see your last post until today. I'm with you it counts more about whats going on inside. I hope you continue to hear good news and can just focus on your baby.

Rebecca and Bob

Rebecca and Bob
                                                              Participant

I was wondering about your news. I didn't see your last post until today. I'm with you it counts more about whats going on inside. I hope you continue to hear good news and can just focus on your baby.

Rebecca and Bob

lilred75
                                                              Participant

Thank you all for so much love and support! Well, my week has been a bit unusual. My dr appt. was rescheduled for Wednesday because my doctor was out sick. But I spoke with the nurse and she told me that it appeared my scan results showed no change and no abnormal results, so all appears to be good! I will get the official report Wednesday from my doctor, but it seems all is well on the "interior:. However, I got a call today from my derm dr, and a mole she removed last week came back as melanoma stage 1. Very thin, no node involvement, and has no affect on my "status" or life longevity. I just need to have the margins cleared, and that is that…but now I wonder…can I still be considered NED since October 2007? It hasn't reoccurred internally…aw screw it! I can make my own rules and I say I am still NED! 🙂

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics