The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Steroids and Colitis

Forums General Melanoma Community Steroids and Colitis

Participant

I am having a bad reaction to yervoy and radiation combined that i am doing at the moment.

I was up all and down from around midnight seven or eight times for bathroom visits and that is despite taking 12mg of steroid at onset of symptoms.

What would be the usual dose for a bad case ?

And is dose given a couple of times a day?

I will probablyhave to go to hospital anyway i think.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        keepthefaith11
        Participant
          My dad is on Yervoy and radiation combo as well. Had his second infusion about 10 days ago and ended up with a high fever for 5 days. He had a couple of bouts of diarrhea as well. But nothing like you are describing. His doctor put him on 40 milligrams of steroids orally. Two days ago they called and said his Monday blood work had elevated liver enzymes. Not by a lot but still, they upped his steroids to 100 milligrams a day. So the dose you are taking does not sound very high at all. With that many incidents of diarrhea I would probably go have it checked out ASAP.

They told him to take the full dose in the morning with breakfast. Make sure you call your own oncologist since emergency rooms might not know what to do with someone on this type of drug. This is the advice we got from our doctor. They can be in contact with the emergency room doctors.

Annie

keepthefaith11
          Participant
            My dad is on Yervoy and radiation combo as well. Had his second infusion about 10 days ago and ended up with a high fever for 5 days. He had a couple of bouts of diarrhea as well. But nothing like you are describing. His doctor put him on 40 milligrams of steroids orally. Two days ago they called and said his Monday blood work had elevated liver enzymes. Not by a lot but still, they upped his steroids to 100 milligrams a day. So the dose you are taking does not sound very high at all. With that many incidents of diarrhea I would probably go have it checked out ASAP.

They told him to take the full dose in the morning with breakfast. Make sure you call your own oncologist since emergency rooms might not know what to do with someone on this type of drug. This is the advice we got from our doctor. They can be in contact with the emergency room doctors.

Annie

keepthefaith11
            Participant

Annie

Maria C
              Participant

Hi there – I second Annie's suggestion to call your oncologist right away to report a worsening condition despite being on steroid treatment. Also, maybe inquire about taking Imodium to also get this under control; worked for me under doc's advice…

Good luck!

Maria C
                Participant

Hi there – I second Annie's suggestion to call your oncologist right away to report a worsening condition despite being on steroid treatment. Also, maybe inquire about taking Imodium to also get this under control; worked for me under doc's advice…

Good luck!

Maria C
                  Participant

Good luck!

Squash
                    Participant

I am in hospital and just got an infusion of 1gram of some steroid.

Will be here a few days at least.

Did xray of abdomen and blood test and urine and stool …all very quick and professional.

Thanks for the tips and advice and yeah they said leaving it could be disastrous as it can escalate alarmingly in a short period of time.

Squash
                      Participant

Did xray of abdomen and blood test and urine and stool …all very quick and professional.

Thanks for the tips and advice and yeah they said leaving it could be disastrous as it can escalate alarmingly in a short period of time.

keepthefaith11
                          Participant
                            Sounds like you are in good hands! Hope it clears real soon.
                            keepthefaith11
                            Participant
                              keepthefaith11
                              Participant
                              Squash
                              Participant

MoiraM
                                Participant

Are you taking anything else to control the diarrhoea? You could talk to your doctor about that.

I was prescribed Imodium (loperamide}.

For me steroids did not help control the diarrhoea. The steroids are needed to deal with the inflammation of the wall of the gut – the colitis.

Indeed, in me, steroids made the diarrhoea worse so because they depressed my usual gut bacteria. I know take probiotics to keep my gut bacteria 'topped up' so no nasty visitors can move in.

MoiraM
                                  Participant

Are you taking anything else to control the diarrhoea? You could talk to your doctor about that.

For me steroids did not help control the diarrhoea. The steroids are needed to deal with the inflammation of the wall of the gut – the colitis.

Indeed, in me, steroids made the diarrhoea worse so because they depressed my usual gut bacteria. I know take probiotics to keep my gut bacteria 'topped up' so no nasty visitors can move in.

keepthefaith11
                                      Participant
                                        I am glad you went! Not doing anything ASAP can escalate the problem severely. If you get to it early it seems it can usually be manageable fairly easily. I have heard that if you are indeed developing colitis, Imodium is not a good idea. Someone might be able to confirm this though.
                                        keepthefaith11
                                        Participant
                                          I am glad you went! Not doing anything ASAP can escalate the problem severely. If you get to it early it seems it can usually be manageable fairly easily. I have heard that if you are indeed developing colitis, Imodium is not a good idea. Someone might be able to confirm this though.
                                          Squash
                                          Participant

Doctors recommend taking 2 immodium after every bowel movement,

Not sure what the logic is but that is my experience.

Steroid worked to an extent but still have had a few false starts but not much to speak of and no real bowel movement per se,

I will probably get constipated now,

Squash
                                            Participant

Steroid worked to an extent but still have had a few false starts but not much to speak of and no real bowel movement per se,

Squash
                                              Participant

MoiraM
                                                Participant

You joke, but that was what happened to me. When the diarrhoea switched off and the constipation switched on it was because my pituitary gland had stopped telling my thyroid what to do!

MoiraM
                                                  Participant

You joke, but that was what happened to me. When the diarrhoea switched off and the constipation switched on it was because my pituitary gland had stopped telling my thyroid what to do!

MoiraM
                                                    Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                      Participant
                                                      MoiraM
                                                      Participant

Mat
                                                        Participant

Anon, as you know, you did the right thing!  As you've learned, 12mg of a prednisone-like steroid is not nearly enough to deal with ipi-induced colitis or even diarrhea.  Anyone who sees you post should know to immediately contact their onc if they are on ipi and their diarrhea cannot be controlled by Immodium, Lomotil, etc. within a few hours.  At a minimum, your onc should see you the next day for a bag of IV fluids (if not IV steroids).  As someone who had ipi-induced colitis, I can tell you that the grass is greener once you get past the taper.  

Mat
                                                          Participant

Anon, as you know, you did the right thing!  As you've learned, 12mg of a prednisone-like steroid is not nearly enough to deal with ipi-induced colitis or even diarrhea.  Anyone who sees you post should know to immediately contact their onc if they are on ipi and their diarrhea cannot be controlled by Immodium, Lomotil, etc. within a few hours.  At a minimum, your onc should see you the next day for a bag of IV fluids (if not IV steroids).  As someone who had ipi-induced colitis, I can tell you that the grass is greener once you get past the taper.  

Mat
                                                            Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                Participant
                                                                  For my dad it was the combination of 5 days of fever and 2 bouts of diarrhea that made his doctor put him on Predisone. Add elevated liver enzymes to that and I think it was the right call for sure. Luke you said, after the diarrhea episodes he did 3 days of IV fluid, and felt ao much better.
                                                                  keepthefaith11
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    For my dad it was the combination of 5 days of fever and 2 bouts of diarrhea that made his doctor put him on Predisone. Add elevated liver enzymes to that and I think it was the right call for sure. Luke you said, after the diarrhea episodes he did 3 days of IV fluid, and felt ao much better.
                                                                    keepthefaith11
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Squash
                                                                      Participant

Yep i was on an intravenous drip all day yesterday.

Things have improved but i am really hyped on the steroids.

Hopefully i dont get stuck in hospital for too long and i can get off the steroids and back to another round of infusions.

Luckily i didnt wait another day so anybody who gets in the same situation you need to act asap otherwise it could be a major problem.

Finally thanks for all the great here that has really helped me.

keepthefaith11
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          So glad you went in immidiately. Hope things stabilize quickly and you can go on with tteatment.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            So glad you went in immidiately. Hope things stabilize quickly and you can go on with tteatment.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                            Participant

Annie

Squash
                                                                              Participant

Hopefully i dont get stuck in hospital for too long and i can get off the steroids and back to another round of infusions.

Luckily i didnt wait another day so anybody who gets in the same situation you need to act asap otherwise it could be a major problem.

Squash
                                                                                Participant

Squash
                                                                                Participant

As it turns out i really didnt have diarhea but i had the runs with blockage up the top of the intestines so ended up having to take laxative formulas to move it all and it still isnt really resolved although i have full proper bowel movements but still am blocked.

Probably because i am on hydro morphine for nearly two months now it had blocked me up. So a bit complicated but i am out of hospital today having resolved that but generally feelling much worse than what i came in.

Not sure if i will do any more treatments now anyway as i am getting too weak i think.

Squash
                                                                                  Participant

As it turns out i really didnt have diarhea but i had the runs with blockage up the top of the intestines so ended up having to take laxative formulas to move it all and it still isnt really resolved although i have full proper bowel movements but still am blocked.

Probably because i am on hydro morphine for nearly two months now it had blocked me up. So a bit complicated but i am out of hospital today having resolved that but generally feelling much worse than what i came in.

Not sure if i will do any more treatments now anyway as i am getting too weak i think.

Squash
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics