The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting Chemo

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting Chemo

Participant

Haven't been posting much, but I have visited a lot! I finished my courses (x4) of IPI, went off Z and unfortunately, have had signifcant growth.  After much pain and additional mets, I'm starting Chemo next week. sad

Words of wisdom appreciated! 

Haven't been posting much, but I have visited a lot! I finished my courses (x4) of IPI, went off Z and unfortunately, have had signifcant growth.  After much pain and additional mets, I'm starting Chemo next week. sad

Words of wisdom appreciated! 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        madeclaire
        Participant

I know that this disease is different for everyone, but after 3 courses of IPI with no improvement and with significant tumor growth, I began chemo (dacarbazine).  Scans after two treatments showed a 40% reduction in large liver tumors and the disappearance of lesions in the lungs.  I continue with the chemo which has minimal side effects.  I believe the IPI has helped the chemo to work and this is what I hope for you.  Best of luck!  M

Dgentz
            Participant

Thank you – your words are very encouraging!! Good luck to you as well. 

Dgentz
              Participant

Dgentz
                Participant

madeclaire
                Participant

I know that this disease is different for everyone, but after 3 courses of IPI with no improvement and with significant tumor growth, I began chemo (dacarbazine).  Scans after two treatments showed a 40% reduction in large liver tumors and the disappearance of lesions in the lungs.  I continue with the chemo which has minimal side effects.  I believe the IPI has helped the chemo to work and this is what I hope for you.  Best of luck!  M

madeclaire
                  Participant

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      I went off Z, started Ipi, had significant growth in 1 cardiac met, and 1 new and 1 regrown brain met. Ipi seemed to invigorate them. Ugh!!

I am back on Z and finished my Ipi on time, had significant liver problems but all back to normal now. I seem to be responding to something – Ipi/Zel/SRS ?? Hard to say… Wishing a response for you too.

No wisdom, just know you are doing the best you can and keep fighting! There is a good new webinar on the MIF website explaining immunotherapy and how delayed some Ipi responses can be – – 24 wks! It gave me hope.

awillett1991
                      Participant
                        I went off Z, started Ipi, had significant growth in 1 cardiac met, and 1 new and 1 regrown brain met. Ipi seemed to invigorate them. Ugh!!

I am back on Z and finished my Ipi on time, had significant liver problems but all back to normal now. I seem to be responding to something – Ipi/Zel/SRS ?? Hard to say… Wishing a response for you too.

No wisdom, just know you are doing the best you can and keep fighting! There is a good new webinar on the MIF website explaining immunotherapy and how delayed some Ipi responses can be – – 24 wks! It gave me hope.

awillett1991
                        Participant

Erinlisay38
                          Participant
                            I also did Ippi finished in October tumors all grew and now have new ones … I start Pd1 trial tomorrow … Fingers crossed
                            Erinlisay38
                            Participant
                              I also did Ippi finished in October tumors all grew and now have new ones … I start Pd1 trial tomorrow … Fingers crossed
                              Erinlisay38
                              Participant
                            Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics