The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting a trial on Tuesday

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting a trial on Tuesday

Participant
      Hi group!
      I’m starting a trial on Tuesday of Opdivo with an un-named phase 1 checkpoint inhibitor (TIGIT) from BMS. Have been reading some recent posts about adverse effects- especially fatigue.
      My question is: how soon do these effects start after dosing? I’m traveling 4hrs for dosing, and expect some of this to be driving alone. Will I be able to drive home after infusions? Or should I exepct to need a hotel after dosing? Does it take a few doses before the adverse effects may start?
      Thanks in advance..
      Jenny
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

While I can't tell you what the effects of the check point inhibitor will be, I can share my experience with Opdivo which I took from Dec 2010 – June 2013.  I too had to travel from my home in Chattanooga, TN for my care, a trial in Tampa, Florida. This was my routine:  Drive 2+hours to Atlanta mid-day on Thursday.  Catch a flight to Tampa.  Get rental car and stay at a good ol La Quinta near the hospital overnight so that we could be in place for their first appointment of Friday morning.  Get labs.  See Doc.  Get infusion.  Make  mad dash in the rental car back to airport.  Flight back to Atlanta.  Drive back the 2+ hours back to my home.  Though most of the time I met my daughter who was a student at Georgia Tech at the time, for dinner, before my return.  My sister or husband did make these trips with me…but I did ALL the driving.  (I like to drive, they don't.  I knew where I was going, they didn't!  HA!!)  Sometimes I would be having joint pain by the time I returned to Atlanta.  I often had a weird taste and, what I'll call it dryness for want of a better descriptor, to my mouth, by the end of the infusion.  Tiredness was kind-of pervasive.  I had a lot of wheezing after my treatments, but as an asthmatic, I was well versed in how to handle that.

If you'd like a very detailed (and boring!!), but accurate because I had the data from my blog postings, account of my side effects and when they occurred relative to my doses, here you go:  

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/10/side-effects-of-nivolumabmy-story.html  

So, though there was a lot of mess to deal with and days I didn't feel perfect – I managed all treatments as I described, worked full time (missing only 3 days of work), exercised, and LIVED through a 2 1/2 year trial.  Not everyone can do that, but that was my experience and I bet it can be yours as well.

I wish you my best.  Celeste

ed williams
          Participant

Hi Jenny, I love cancer research and learning new thing, TIGIT would be one of those new things!!! I came across some articles on the topic and will post the link below. It sounds like it will be similar to another checkpoint inhibitor called Ipi since the drug is binding to the antigens presenting cells. The question I would be asking is how are the other patients on the trial doing and what does the toxicity look like. I agree with Bubbles on side effects with Nivo (Opdivo) are not to bad for most patients, I drive myself for treatments and have been doing so for a few years now. My only concern would be if the drug interaction is similar at all to Ipi+Nivo then driving alone for a long trip might not be smart, since you might have side effects that require an expert in immunotherapy to manage. Having a clear plan with your oncology team is very important especially with a new drug combination. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.onclive.com/publications/oncology-live/2017/vol-18-no-03/tigit-emerges-as-new-target-for-immune-checkpoint-blockade-strategies?p=1

ed williams
            Participant

Hi Jenny, I love cancer research and learning new thing, TIGIT would be one of those new things!!! I came across some articles on the topic and will post the link below. It sounds like it will be similar to another checkpoint inhibitor called Ipi since the drug is binding to the antigens presenting cells. The question I would be asking is how are the other patients on the trial doing and what does the toxicity look like. I agree with Bubbles on side effects with Nivo (Opdivo) are not to bad for most patients, I drive myself for treatments and have been doing so for a few years now. My only concern would be if the drug interaction is similar at all to Ipi+Nivo then driving alone for a long trip might not be smart, since you might have side effects that require an expert in immunotherapy to manage. Having a clear plan with your oncology team is very important especially with a new drug combination. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.onclive.com/publications/oncology-live/2017/vol-18-no-03/tigit-emerges-as-new-target-for-immune-checkpoint-blockade-strategies?p=1

Mark_DC
                Participant

Hi Jenny

I agree wholeheartedly with Ed. first that your trial sounds cool and new so we would love to know more! And second, on side effects, i would be cautious the first few times. My guess is that you will be OK – i have taken both ipi and pembro and the main observable side effect was fatigue and this may not have shown up rigth away but that evening and afterwards. But when i took tvec i had a pretty bad fever the first few doses.

i dont like highway driving so i think i would take it easy the first few doses to see how it goes. So i would overnight or keep this mentally as an option – not to drive home but to stay at a hotel if i did not feel well. Why add to the pressure or anxiety? Also where will you do your bloodwork – will you send it in ahead of time or will you do it there? How long will the treatment take? I might take it easy the first dose at least or keep the option to overnight or to pull off the highway if you feel tired.

good luck Mark

bjeans
                Participant

My husband is in a blinded study: bi-weekly nivo and possibly/probably a 1/3 dose ipi every third infusion. No side effects after infusions – he goes to work.

Three months in he developed colitis/diarrhea. He otherwise felt fine, though logistically it was difficult. (Can I get to a bathroom in a 10-second dash?) Lomotil and then prednisone were prescribed, and two infusions delayed. Travel would have been out of the question.

After another couple months it recurred. Lomotil and prednisone were prescribed earlier, one infusion delayed and it resolved quickly. But the guess is that the culprit is ipi.

The only other side effect was just once mid-way between infusions. He became dizzy. The oncologist wondered if it could be dehydration and I drove him to the center. He was given i.v. fluids, was fine and now drinks more water.

Side note on side effects – the medical center (not melanoma center) has a traditional Chinese medicine center, and he began acupuncture sessions. One colitis symptom (blood) stopped after the first or second session, just before going back on prednisone. (We wish he had begun sessions earlier.) NIH has articles about its use for fatigue from treatments and for other conditions, and our insurance covers it. 

And maybe make a reservation at a hotel that allows same-day cancelations? Just the adrenaline spike and first-time process could be draining, let alone a side effect. Driving is relaxing for both my husband and me, and dealing with hotels far more tiring, but that’s personal preference.

Good going on fitting into a study, and let us know how it goes.

Beth

Momofjake
                  Participant

Hey Jenny!

we are in the same boat! In an Uber as I write this. My husband drove the 45 min to the air port, then 2 hr flight, then 40 min Uber to the Hampton. Then 8am infusion for Jake. It’s a trial with a pembro cousin drug and an inhibitor called C-met(I may be forgetting from my brain being fried). Jake has been tired and the pills give him some nausea. He has lost another 6lbs and he has several new tumors we see. It’s been 5 weeks. We meet w the Dr today to look at other options. I hope yours works for you!! We have sure put lots of money into travel! But working on some medical discounts this week. And taking Jake to Hawaii to NOT think about cancer for a week! Good luck❤️

Edwin
                    Participant

After a Keytruda infusion, a 12 minute walk home was tiring.   After an Opdivo infusion, the 12 minute walk home is easy.  After an immunotherapy infusion I usually took sick leave the rest of the day.  I felt better resting at home, but I probably could have travelled.  I would not have been able to travel far during Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy.  This treatment gave me very bad diarrhea. I needed to wear an adult diaper at night and when I was more than 2 minutes from a toilet. I could look at a book, but I could not read.  I did not have the mental ability to drive a car.   Severe adverse effects began soon after my first infusion of Yervoy/Opdivo.   However, this combination immunotherapy saved my life.

Pwest55
                      Participant

Hi Jenny

I was also in a trial with obdivo but only took one treatment before my thyroid said no more. I traveled a long distance (600 miles) and actually drove 80 % of the way home with no issue. I am stage 2B and was told one more treatment would cause irreversable harm to my thryroid so i figured it wasnt worth the risk. Good luck. 

MelanomaMike
                        Participant
                          Hi Jenny! Please let us know whats up on your Trial you started last Tuesday, Opdivo (& an unnamed drug) so, give us an update! I dont recall if it was an In-house (in Hospital type) trial, maybe trials usually are i dont know, and if yer allowed or even feeling like gettin on MRF! please inform us how your feeling!
                            ed williams
                            Participant

Hi Melanoma Mike, click on the link above on my post and read all about TIGIT!!!! If you are having problems falling asleep tonight this is guaranteed to work!!!

Jennycrn1
                              Participant
                                Hi there…. back with an update…sorry for the delay. Hadn’t been back to this site since starting. Got infusions right after Halloween and another after Thanksgiving. Going back for another in 4 days. So far, no issues. None. Concerned that my lack of issues will equal a lack of effect on the lung mets. Had a scan and repeat biopsy 2 days ago per the drug study protocol. Waiting for formal CT results from MD, but the biopsy guy said the one he biopsied was either a little smaller or at least unchanged. I hope that’s good. My LDH is down again to 160. My CBC says I’m a little immune compromised, so I’m getting some kind of effect, I guess. Anyone else had anecdotal experience with side effects and effectiveness of their drugs? Should I be feeling worse for the drugs to be working better? Thanks and Merry Christmas!
                                Jenny
                          Viewing 7 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics