The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV , Metastatic Liver

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV , Metastatic Liver

Participant

Diagnosed Stage IV in September, PET found 3cm X 4cm tumor inside liver, nodules in the lungs, unresectable.  Prognosis grim, 8 months to 16 months.  I am told that when the tumours are inside the liver the prognosis is very bad.  I am enrolled in pd-1 trial, scans in first week of february.

Anybody with liver mets that can share any light in this?  I was very positive until I was told that liver mets are hard to keep under control and treatments are not very succesful.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        tschmith
        Participant

I had one small mass in the liver.  I had two infusions of Yervoy and then had to stop due to pituitary problems.  The scans after the Yervoy showed more mets here and there but the liver met disappeared.

Best of luck to you in the pd-1 trial.  I've heard good things about the trials and my doctor has been trying to get me into one.  

Terrie

tschmith
          Participant

I had one small mass in the liver.  I had two infusions of Yervoy and then had to stop due to pituitary problems.  The scans after the Yervoy showed more mets here and there but the liver met disappeared.

Best of luck to you in the pd-1 trial.  I've heard good things about the trials and my doctor has been trying to get me into one.  

Terrie

tschmith
            Participant

Terrie

love4life
              Participant

I must admit that when I found out last January that my melanoma had spread to my liver among a couple of other sites I felt my hope slowly diminishing.  Now, a year later my tumours have all shrunk In my liver so much so that they can't be measured.  I'm on Zelboraf (Vemurafinib) and everything has remained stable.  I was told 4years ago when I was first diagnosed with brain mets that my prognosis wasn't good but here we are!  This disease is so different for each individual that you never know where your path will lead.  I have heard that there have been great results with pd-1.  Good luck with your treatment!  

Natalie

love4life
                Participant

I must admit that when I found out last January that my melanoma had spread to my liver among a couple of other sites I felt my hope slowly diminishing.  Now, a year later my tumours have all shrunk In my liver so much so that they can't be measured.  I'm on Zelboraf (Vemurafinib) and everything has remained stable.  I was told 4years ago when I was first diagnosed with brain mets that my prognosis wasn't good but here we are!  This disease is so different for each individual that you never know where your path will lead.  I have heard that there have been great results with pd-1.  Good luck with your treatment!  

Natalie

love4life
                  Participant

Natalie

Mat
                    Participant

As someone with liver mets, I think I've read that IL-2 is less successful with liver mets.  I don't think I've seen or heard of other treatments–targeted therapy or immune checkpoint inhibitors–being less successful. 

Mat
                      Participant

As someone with liver mets, I think I've read that IL-2 is less successful with liver mets.  I don't think I've seen or heard of other treatments–targeted therapy or immune checkpoint inhibitors–being less successful. 

Mat
                        Participant

Nadia
                          Participant

Thank you for the answers, I guess it's wait and see at the scan. I hate this waiting game already!

robert

Nadia
                            Participant

Thank you for the answers, I guess it's wait and see at the scan. I hate this waiting game already!

robert

Nadia
                              Participant

robert

Gene_S
                                Participant

Hello,

Don't give up because you have lesions in the liver.  My husband had three in the liver in different sections and also in his lungs along with an unresectable lesion pushing on the cervical vertebrae around C1-C2.  He started on a clinical trial with Ipi and GM-CSF in March of 2011 and has been cancer free for over a year now.  You can read more on his profile.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Hello,

Don't give up because you have lesions in the liver.  My husband had three in the liver in different sections and also in his lungs along with an unresectable lesion pushing on the cervical vertebrae around C1-C2.  He started on a clinical trial with Ipi and GM-CSF in March of 2011 and has been cancer free for over a year now.  You can read more on his profile.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Hello,

Jahendry12
                                      Participant

Keep the faith Robert.  Read the positive stories on this site and try to stay positive.  I know it's hard, but it beats the alternative. 

Stay strong!

Jahendry12
                                        Participant

Keep the faith Robert.  Read the positive stories on this site and try to stay positive.  I know it's hard, but it beats the alternative. 

Stay strong!

Zam1940
                                            Participant

You are very fortunate, Robert, to have been accepted into a PD-1 trial; I am stage 4, with mets in left lung, liver, spine and humerus bone; when I began an anti PD-1 Merck trial at UCLA, in April 2012 under the guidance of Antoni Ribas, M.D., both my lung and liver mets were over 10×10 cm. My left lung was almost completely obliterated by tumor mass and fluid; I was on 24 hour oxygen and confined to a wheelchair. I needed help in eating on the rare occasions when I would eat; by July 2012 my ,liver and lung mets had shrunk over 50%; As of November 2013, my lung met measures 36×21 mm and my liver met measures 36×18 mm. They are essentiall stable over the past year. I continue in the Merck trial and am totally active, playing tennis three times per week on average; You have much cause for OPTIMISM with the PD1 trial!  I wish you good luck with your clincal trial.  Best regards, Thomas

Zam1940
                                              Participant

You are very fortunate, Robert, to have been accepted into a PD-1 trial; I am stage 4, with mets in left lung, liver, spine and humerus bone; when I began an anti PD-1 Merck trial at UCLA, in April 2012 under the guidance of Antoni Ribas, M.D., both my lung and liver mets were over 10×10 cm. My left lung was almost completely obliterated by tumor mass and fluid; I was on 24 hour oxygen and confined to a wheelchair. I needed help in eating on the rare occasions when I would eat; by July 2012 my ,liver and lung mets had shrunk over 50%; As of November 2013, my lung met measures 36×21 mm and my liver met measures 36×18 mm. They are essentiall stable over the past year. I continue in the Merck trial and am totally active, playing tennis three times per week on average; You have much cause for OPTIMISM with the PD1 trial!  I wish you good luck with your clincal trial.  Best regards, Thomas

Zam1940
                                                Participant

Jahendry12
                                                Participant

Stay strong!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics