The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIIC

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIIC

Participant

Anybody have information on how often stage IIIC travels to the organs?  I have just had a resection of the right axilla..all lymph nodes and surrounding tissue removed…Path report was 4 infected nodes..2 we knew about before we went in as they lit up on the PET/CT  scan…the other 2 were surprises as there was no sign of them on the scan.  Surrounding tissue was clear.  Just trying to get a handle on this..There is not much offered for stage III.  Hard to know what to do.

Anybody have information on how often stage IIIC travels to the organs?  I have just had a resection of the right axilla..all lymph nodes and surrounding tissue removed…Path report was 4 infected nodes..2 we knew about before we went in as they lit up on the PET/CT  scan…the other 2 were surprises as there was no sign of them on the scan.  Surrounding tissue was clear.  Just trying to get a handle on this..There is not much offered for stage III.  Hard to know what to do.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Just wanted to say I started 3c and it is very hard to know what to do. Sorry you are going through this. I wonder if Ipi is an option? It wasn’t available for me, I did biochemo but i know its fallen out of favor.

I don’t think anyone can say for sure if/when it recurs or why for some people it doesn’t. It is the beast.

Nell
            Participant

Thank you for your response.  I am currently in the Polynoma vaccine trial…I don't know whether my oncologist will keep me there, have me switch to the ipi trial..or just what.  So far the reoccurances have remained in the same area, but who knows? It is scary.

awillett1991
              Participant
                It Is scary, no arguing there. I wish you peace in your days and the power and strength to fight and find the right path for you.
                awillett1991
                Participant
                  It Is scary, no arguing there. I wish you peace in your days and the power and strength to fight and find the right path for you.
                  Nell
                  Participant

Thank you.  I truly wish you the very best as well. Thank you for your encouragement.  Usually I am more upbeat, but today has been a tough one.

Nell
                    Participant

Thank you.  I truly wish you the very best as well. Thank you for your encouragement.  Usually I am more upbeat, but today has been a tough one.

Nell
                      Participant

awillett1991
                        Participant
                          Nell
                          Participant

Thank you for your response.  I am currently in the Polynoma vaccine trial…I don't know whether my oncologist will keep me there, have me switch to the ipi trial..or just what.  So far the reoccurances have remained in the same area, but who knows? It is scary.

Nell
                            Participant

kylez
                              Participant

Actually something was just mentioned in the recent "ASCO Cancer Advances 2012" that might put biochemo back in favor: 

Two months of biochemotherapy provide significant survival advantage over 1 year of high dose interferon therapy. One year of high-dose interferon alfa-2b is a standard postoperative (adjuvant) treatment for high-risk melanoma. However, currently, it is estimated that fewer than one third of eligible patients receive adjuvant therapy for melanoma because of concerns about the adverse effects of interferon and its low benefit. Results of a phase III trial, released this year, point to a shorter and potentially more effective alternative treatment regimen for these patients.

That must be for stage 3 patients, right? It's from http://www.cancerprogress.net/pdf/CCA_2012.pdf, pg. 46. The trial they cited is "Flaherty LE, Moon J, Atkins MB, et al: Phase III trial of high-dose interferon alpha-2b versus cisplatin, vinblastine, DTIC plus IL-2 and interferon in patients with high-risk melanoma (SWOG S0008): An intergroup study of CALGB, COG, ECOG, and SWOG. J Clin Oncol 30:541s, 2012 (suppl; abstr 8504).

kylez
                                Participant

Actually something was just mentioned in the recent "ASCO Cancer Advances 2012" that might put biochemo back in favor: 

Two months of biochemotherapy provide significant survival advantage over 1 year of high dose interferon therapy. One year of high-dose interferon alfa-2b is a standard postoperative (adjuvant) treatment for high-risk melanoma. However, currently, it is estimated that fewer than one third of eligible patients receive adjuvant therapy for melanoma because of concerns about the adverse effects of interferon and its low benefit. Results of a phase III trial, released this year, point to a shorter and potentially more effective alternative treatment regimen for these patients.

That must be for stage 3 patients, right? It's from http://www.cancerprogress.net/pdf/CCA_2012.pdf, pg. 46. The trial they cited is "Flaherty LE, Moon J, Atkins MB, et al: Phase III trial of high-dose interferon alpha-2b versus cisplatin, vinblastine, DTIC plus IL-2 and interferon in patients with high-risk melanoma (SWOG S0008): An intergroup study of CALGB, COG, ECOG, and SWOG. J Clin Oncol 30:541s, 2012 (suppl; abstr 8504).

Nell
                                  Participant

Thank you..I will read about that trial. I really would rather stay away from interferon…!

Nell
                                    Participant

Thank you..I will read about that trial. I really would rather stay away from interferon…!

Nell
                                      Participant

kylez
                                        Participant

awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                          Just wanted to say I started 3c and it is very hard to know what to do. Sorry you are going through this. I wonder if Ipi is an option? It wasn’t available for me, I did biochemo but i know its fallen out of favor.

I don’t think anyone can say for sure if/when it recurs or why for some people it doesn’t. It is the beast.

awillett1991
                                          Participant

DeniseK
                                            Participant

Hi Nell,

It's hard to say how often stage 3c will recur,  There are some people that never recur without any further treatment but others will recur with or with out treatment.  A lot of the trials that I"m looking into as a stage 4 are also including stage 3c patients.  There is Ipi VS interferon and Braf inhibitor combined with Mek VS Braf alone.  They are accepting stage 3c patients as well.  Here is the link http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=693024&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=11148843#EntryCriteria_CDR0000693024

They are saying that they are trying to find a cure for melanoma before it progresses to stage 4 so your in a great position to frontier this research. 

Do some research on the clinical trials, research the drugs they're using, and make an informed decision based on what you decide is best for you. 

I was initially stage 2c and I recurred about a year later.  I did 2-1/2 weeks of the high dose interferon until my body couldn't take it anymore.  Having hind sight now I wish I would have gone into a trial that was showing progress.  Again, not everyone will recur but in my mind it's best to stack the odds in your favor.

Keep us posted and best wishes,

Denise

DeniseK
                                              Participant

Hi Nell,

It's hard to say how often stage 3c will recur,  There are some people that never recur without any further treatment but others will recur with or with out treatment.  A lot of the trials that I"m looking into as a stage 4 are also including stage 3c patients.  There is Ipi VS interferon and Braf inhibitor combined with Mek VS Braf alone.  They are accepting stage 3c patients as well.  Here is the link http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=693024&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=11148843#EntryCriteria_CDR0000693024

They are saying that they are trying to find a cure for melanoma before it progresses to stage 4 so your in a great position to frontier this research. 

Do some research on the clinical trials, research the drugs they're using, and make an informed decision based on what you decide is best for you. 

I was initially stage 2c and I recurred about a year later.  I did 2-1/2 weeks of the high dose interferon until my body couldn't take it anymore.  Having hind sight now I wish I would have gone into a trial that was showing progress.  Again, not everyone will recur but in my mind it's best to stack the odds in your favor.

Denise

Nell
                                                  Participant

Thanks for your advice, Denice.  I am BRAF negative, which closes a door….I am hoping to stay in the polynoma trial…if my oncologist thinks that it enough with  4  positive lymph node reoccurances…He may want the ipi trial. This stuff is so vicious. I wish you the best and hope and pray that you will be well!

Nell
                                                    Participant

Thanks for your advice, Denice.  I am BRAF negative, which closes a door….I am hoping to stay in the polynoma trial…if my oncologist thinks that it enough with  4  positive lymph node reoccurances…He may want the ipi trial. This stuff is so vicious. I wish you the best and hope and pray that you will be well!

Nell
                                                      Participant

DeniseK
                                                      Participant

Hi Nell,

Denise

RMcLegal
                                                        Participant

Nell, I was diagnosed stage IIIC back in 2003 with 14 malignant nodes, underwent biochemotherapy at the University of Colorado Cancer Center, and have yet to have a recurrence.  Some centers are still doing biochemo, rough stuff though it is.  I wish you all the best in your fight.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

RMcLegal
                                                          Participant

Nell, I was diagnosed stage IIIC back in 2003 with 14 malignant nodes, underwent biochemotherapy at the University of Colorado Cancer Center, and have yet to have a recurrence.  Some centers are still doing biochemo, rough stuff though it is.  I wish you all the best in your fight.

Rich

RMcLegal
                                                            Participant

Rich

Nell
                                                                Participant

Thank you for your reply.  I am glad that you are still NED.  That is so encouraging.  It is soon to be decision time for me..I see my Dr. in a week..still healing from surgery.  Don't know what he will suggest.  These answers from you and others give me some back-up information..thank you and may you continue to be cancer-free.

Nell
                                                                  Participant

Thank you for your reply.  I am glad that you are still NED.  That is so encouraging.  It is soon to be decision time for me..I see my Dr. in a week..still healing from surgery.  Don't know what he will suggest.  These answers from you and others give me some back-up information..thank you and may you continue to be cancer-free.

Nell
                                                                    Participant

Colleen66
                                                                    Participant

Hi Neil,  so sorry you are having to go through this.  I also just had groin nodes removed, still recovering too.  I just enrolled in a clinical trial at The James although the trial is nationwide.  3 Arms, Interferon vs high dose ipi vs low dose ipi.  My scans are the 12th and I start the 27th.  I'm stage 3b.  This may be something you can look into.  I hope for the best for you.  Keep your head in a good place as much as you can.  

Keep us posted.

Colleen 

Nell
                                                                        Participant

I hope things go very well for you, Colleen. I guess you don't know yet which medication you will receive.  This disease calls for lots of faith and partners to help us share the load! 

Nell
                                                                          Participant

I hope things go very well for you, Colleen. I guess you don't know yet which medication you will receive.  This disease calls for lots of faith and partners to help us share the load! 

Nell
                                                                            Participant

Colleen66
                                                                            Participant

Hi Neil,  so sorry you are having to go through this.  I also just had groin nodes removed, still recovering too.  I just enrolled in a clinical trial at The James although the trial is nationwide.  3 Arms, Interferon vs high dose ipi vs low dose ipi.  My scans are the 12th and I start the 27th.  I'm stage 3b.  This may be something you can look into.  I hope for the best for you.  Keep your head in a good place as much as you can.  

Keep us posted.

Colleen 

Colleen66
                                                                              Participant

Keep us posted.

Colleen 

kpcollins31
                                                                                Participant

I am 38 years old and became IIIc this past September. I did not qualify for the Polynoma vaccine trial because my primary was too "severe." My other option was a clinical trial involving ipi vs interferon. My oncologost did not push that trial because he recognized that quality of life is important and the effectiveness of ipi or interferon are far from conclusive.

That being said, I am not pursuing any treatment at this time. I take vitamins to try to boost the immune system (multivitamin, vitamin D3, vitamin C). I lift heavy weights at least three times a week and I feel great. Our different approaches are all personal decisions. My advice is live your life and try to stay positive. If the mel comes back, I am ready for the fight.

Kevin  

kpcollins31
                                                                                  Participant

I am 38 years old and became IIIc this past September. I did not qualify for the Polynoma vaccine trial because my primary was too "severe." My other option was a clinical trial involving ipi vs interferon. My oncologost did not push that trial because he recognized that quality of life is important and the effectiveness of ipi or interferon are far from conclusive.

That being said, I am not pursuing any treatment at this time. I take vitamins to try to boost the immune system (multivitamin, vitamin D3, vitamin C). I lift heavy weights at least three times a week and I feel great. Our different approaches are all personal decisions. My advice is live your life and try to stay positive. If the mel comes back, I am ready for the fight.

Kevin  

kpcollins31
                                                                                    Participant

Kevin  

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics