The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage 4 now :(

Forums General Melanoma Community stage 4 now :(

Participant

hi,

hi,

I just came back from hospital where I had a tumor removed from intestines which was causing a blockage.  The tumor removed from intestine was melanoma and scans found tumor in my liver and left lung  Brain mri showed all clear there..  I also am having strong pain in my left shoulder pretty constant so they re thinking it is in my bones there.  Met with Dr Lawrence mass general yesterday.  My tumor is being tested for Braf and that is the option he suggests we go if I test positive.   We will discuss what we do if I am not Braf positive, I believe they were leaning to ippilumb(sp?).  My husband and I are trying to absorb all of this. 

I believe Dr Lawrence is one of the best as far as being up on reseach and trials and am feeling that he can help guide us thru this.

any thoughts? I know it is real basic info, my family is currently overwhelmed as my baby sister is in hospital today having double masectomy and we are all trying to surround her and help her thru this, so timing for my melanoma to resurface stinks.

laurie from maine

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        bs010kbb
        Participant

Laurie, I am thinking of you and your family at this time – surrounding you and your sister with prayer. I was recently diagnosed with Stage IV early June. I have had surgery to remove area of disease and I am currently viewing options for treatment. I am positive for BRAF and have appointmens set with Johns Hopkins and Sloan Kettering. I also found researching this site for Trials is a good tool. I found one that I might be a candidate for and had immediate response within 24hrs of additional information I was requesting. Perhaps you may wish to view the Trials on this site and discuss with Dr. Lawrence during your next visit. Thinking of you –

bs010kbb
          Participant

Laurie, I am thinking of you and your family at this time – surrounding you and your sister with prayer. I was recently diagnosed with Stage IV early June. I have had surgery to remove area of disease and I am currently viewing options for treatment. I am positive for BRAF and have appointmens set with Johns Hopkins and Sloan Kettering. I also found researching this site for Trials is a good tool. I found one that I might be a candidate for and had immediate response within 24hrs of additional information I was requesting. Perhaps you may wish to view the Trials on this site and discuss with Dr. Lawrence during your next visit. Thinking of you –

MariaH
            Participant

So sorry to hear this news Laurie.  We can relate to the "bad timing".  My 30 year old brother was diagnosed with terminal stage IV stomach cancer in May, and Dave's scans in June showed his mel has progressed to stage IV.  Then again, I can't think of a good time for cancer!?

It sounds to me as if your doctor is on the right track.  A friend of ours has been on the B-RAF drug since early spring and he had similar mets as yours, including one on his spine.  He felt better after a week and is now back to work.  He is hoping to be well enough (he's already gained back some weight) to do IL-2 at the end of summer.  IPI does take some time to work, and there are always chemo options in addition to trials at NIH which are successful for some people as well. 

Please keep us posted on your treatment options.  Wishing you all the best that you find the treatment that works for you.

Maria & Dave

MariaH
              Participant

So sorry to hear this news Laurie.  We can relate to the "bad timing".  My 30 year old brother was diagnosed with terminal stage IV stomach cancer in May, and Dave's scans in June showed his mel has progressed to stage IV.  Then again, I can't think of a good time for cancer!?

It sounds to me as if your doctor is on the right track.  A friend of ours has been on the B-RAF drug since early spring and he had similar mets as yours, including one on his spine.  He felt better after a week and is now back to work.  He is hoping to be well enough (he's already gained back some weight) to do IL-2 at the end of summer.  IPI does take some time to work, and there are always chemo options in addition to trials at NIH which are successful for some people as well. 

Please keep us posted on your treatment options.  Wishing you all the best that you find the treatment that works for you.

Maria & Dave

Carol Taylor
                Participant

I'm sorry, Laurie, for all this you're having to deal with and your sister's cancer also. "Overwhelmed" is putting it mildly! But remember, you need support too.

Thankfully, you're in good hands and you've also got a lot of prayers going up for you and positive thoughts going your way.

Hang tight, stay tough & fight.

Lord, in Your mercy, make a way for Laurie and for her sister. Hold them both and open the doors they each need opened. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

I'm sorry, Laurie, for all this you're having to deal with and your sister's cancer also. "Overwhelmed" is putting it mildly! But remember, you need support too.

Thankfully, you're in good hands and you've also got a lot of prayers going up for you and positive thoughts going your way.

Hang tight, stay tough & fight.

Lord, in Your mercy, make a way for Laurie and for her sister. Hold them both and open the doors they each need opened. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

glewis923
                    Participant

Hey Laurie-  I will be thinking of you and praying for all,

Love, Grady, Family.

glewis923
                      Participant

Hey Laurie-  I will be thinking of you and praying for all,

Love, Grady, Family.

alicia
                        Participant

Laurie, bless your heart!!!!!  I'm so sorry for you to get this news at such a difficult time for your family:-(  Many hugs and prayers sent your way.

Best wishes,

Alicia Stage 3 w/ 3 primaries

alicia
                          Participant

Laurie, bless your heart!!!!!  I'm so sorry for you to get this news at such a difficult time for your family:-(  Many hugs and prayers sent your way.

Best wishes,

Alicia Stage 3 w/ 3 primaries

shellebrownies
                            Participant

Awww, Laurie, I'm sorry to hear that. We certainly know how much this news royally bites. Is Dr. Lawrence talking to you about the Compassionate use PLX4032 trial (or have you not gotten that far yet?)? That is the one Don is signed up for when his chemo treatments are no longer effective.

I am going to pray really hard that you are BRAF positive. I agree that Dr. Lawrence has a really good handle on what's out there right now for treatments.

Sending positive thoughts your way and hoping that you will find a great durable treatment!

Michelle, wife of Don

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Dear Laurie,

I am so sorry that you are now stage 4, and so sorry for your sister with breast cancer. From all I have read over the years here at MPIP Dr Lawrence and Mass General have excellent reputations. I had my ILP at Mass General (different doctor tho). I was impressed with overall patient care and didnt feel like a number.

I will be thinking of you as you sort out treatments with your team and get started and also of your sister too.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

Dear Laurie,

I am so sorry that you are now stage 4, and so sorry for your sister with breast cancer. From all I have read over the years here at MPIP Dr Lawrence and Mass General have excellent reputations. I had my ILP at Mass General (different doctor tho). I was impressed with overall patient care and didnt feel like a number.

I will be thinking of you as you sort out treatments with your team and get started and also of your sister too.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

shellebrownies
                                  Participant

Awww, Laurie, I'm sorry to hear that. We certainly know how much this news royally bites. Is Dr. Lawrence talking to you about the Compassionate use PLX4032 trial (or have you not gotten that far yet?)? That is the one Don is signed up for when his chemo treatments are no longer effective.

I am going to pray really hard that you are BRAF positive. I agree that Dr. Lawrence has a really good handle on what's out there right now for treatments.

Sending positive thoughts your way and hoping that you will find a great durable treatment!

Michelle, wife of Don

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics