The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3C – NED 11 years today

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3C – NED 11 years today

Participant

I'm posting this to maybe give some hope to those who are recently diagnosed. 

I'm posting this to maybe give some hope to those who are recently diagnosed. 

11+ years ago I found that the tiny stage 1 "lucky to have caught it so early" melanoma had returned to my lymphnodes and I was now stage 3C.  I wasn't hearing much hope from my doctors or where I went for a second opinion.  They were wheeling me into surgery at Univ. of Michigan right after the second tower was falling in NYC so I missed most of what happened that day.  When I woke up I was told I had 3 positive nodes and one had matted and had extracapsular extensions going into a muscle in my back so that was also removed.  My surgeon said he just kept going until he didn't see any more black.  I wanted to do a clinical trial but a brain mri showed "something" there so I didn't qualify and so I did interferon and got through 9 months before I had to quit.  U of M won't do scans (at least not then, not sure if that changed) after stage 3 unless you have symptoms so I had no scanxiety and I think it was easier for me to get on with my life once the side effects of the interferon were gone.  By the way, while it was no picnic, I found it doable and I'm glad I did. 

In the past 11 years I've had 4 more grandchildren, acquired two more by our daughter's marriage, our daughter got married and is very happy and life is very good. 11 years ago I would never have imagined this.  There are plenty more like me on this bulletin board and if you were recently diagnoised, NEVER FORGET THIS.  I don't know what I would have done without this place and I thank the Pattersons for having the wisdom and compassion to begin this bulletin board in their sister's memory.  Never give up, never think of yourself as the number they all drill into us with their statistics.  Good luck to us all.

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 11 years today after interferon and no scans 

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

WooHoo!  Love hearing this, Deb.  I know you and I joined this board about the same time and it's had it's ups and downs… but glad we're both here kicking 11 years later! 

HAPPY NEDversary!

Janner

Janner
          Participant

WooHoo!  Love hearing this, Deb.  I know you and I joined this board about the same time and it's had it's ups and downs… but glad we're both here kicking 11 years later! 

HAPPY NEDversary!

Janner

Janner
            Participant

HAPPY NEDversary!

Janner

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Thanks DEbbie, love to hear that story.  Ain't those grndkids that weren't supposed to get to know us LUCKY?  I don't spoil my Graandkids, THEY SPOIL ME!

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Thanks DEbbie, love to hear that story.  Ain't those grndkids that weren't supposed to get to know us LUCKY?  I don't spoil my Graandkids, THEY SPOIL ME!

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Ali
                    Participant

Love this!  Congrats!!

Ali
                      Participant

Love this!  Congrats!!

Ali
                        Participant

Love this!  Congrats!!

akls
                          Participant

Deb,

This is the best news!  11 years is awesome.  You are the one I always think of when I'm getting down and worrying.  Thanks for the update.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                            Participant

Deb,

This is the best news!  11 years is awesome.  You are the one I always think of when I'm getting down and worrying.  Thanks for the update.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                              Participant

Deb,

Amy S. in Michigan

Linny
                                Participant

Loved reading this! Congratulations!!!!!

Linny
                                  Participant

Linny
                                    Participant

mom3girlsFL
                                      Participant

Hi Debbie,

I HAD to post after reading…I too had a small stage 1 WLE all clear back in 2002 only to have it reappear in my groin nodes affecting about 15 of them almost 2 years ago.  Been "okay" since – won't say "great" b/c we have had some scares!  I am so encouraged to read your post, 3c is a hard place to live…really nothing to do but "watch and wait"…keep looking for the floor to fall out from under us again though.

Thanks for taking the time to post your news and congratulations!

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                                        Participant

Hi Debbie,

I HAD to post after reading…I too had a small stage 1 WLE all clear back in 2002 only to have it reappear in my groin nodes affecting about 15 of them almost 2 years ago.  Been "okay" since – won't say "great" b/c we have had some scares!  I am so encouraged to read your post, 3c is a hard place to live…really nothing to do but "watch and wait"…keep looking for the floor to fall out from under us again though.

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                                          Participant

Hi Debbie,

Laurie

frankMill
                                            Participant

Congrats Debbie!  You've been through hell and I'm happy you are NED for all these years.  You give me hope.

Thanks!

Frank

frankMill
                                              Participant

Congrats Debbie!  You've been through hell and I'm happy you are NED for all these years.  You give me hope.

Thanks!

Frank

frankMill
                                                Participant

Thanks!

Frank

King
                                                  Participant

Debbie,

Yours is a great story of inspiration and hope.  You were such a support to me especially in the early years of my journey.  Tim and I are happy that we met you in person and hope that our paths just might cross again some day.

Live life to the fullest and enjoy those grandchildren.  Congratulations!

Stay Strong
                                                    Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                                                    Participant

Debbie,

Yours is a great story of inspiration and hope.  You were such a support to me especially in the early years of my journey.  Tim and I are happy that we met you in person and hope that our paths just might cross again some day.

Stay Strong
                                                      Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

NYKaren
                                                        Participant

Thanks so much for your post, Debbie.

Enjoy those grandkids!

karen

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

Enjoy those grandkids!

karen

NYKaren
                                                            Participant

oops, forgot CONGRATULATIONS!!!

NYKaren
                                                              Participant

NYKaren
                                                                Participant

NYKaren
                                                                  Participant

Enjoy those grandkids!

karen

King
                                                                  Participant

Debbie,

Stay Strong
                                                                    Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics