The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sorry, it’s not the update I was hoping to give.

Forums General Melanoma Community Sorry, it’s not the update I was hoping to give.

Participant

Well this morning marks two years since being/knowing I was stage IV. A long journey it's been, and this mornings brain MRI has me feeling a little like I did two years ago. The images show some new tumors, there were a few tiny areas that were left untreated when I started Zelboraf. So maybe those, maybe a couple more? Radiation oncologist is going to get all the details out of the scans to have all the info possible come Wednesday morning, when I see her again, to discuss the options and treatment. I'm guessing more SRS or trying WBR for the first time, I don't know.

Well this morning marks two years since being/knowing I was stage IV. A long journey it's been, and this mornings brain MRI has me feeling a little like I did two years ago. The images show some new tumors, there were a few tiny areas that were left untreated when I started Zelboraf. So maybe those, maybe a couple more? Radiation oncologist is going to get all the details out of the scans to have all the info possible come Wednesday morning, when I see her again, to discuss the options and treatment. I'm guessing more SRS or trying WBR for the first time, I don't know. She said they were small though, none over a cm. And told me not to lose sleep over it. I won't, I'm experencing a sense of calm, not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, I should have PETCT soon, not sure the protocol from here, if they're just going to take me off Zelboraf or if there are any options left. I may be out of the loop, I know most trials won't accept someone with brain mets. Despite the status of my head, I feel close to normal, no noticible strange neurological symptoms. If anyone knows something new I'm unaware of, I'd like to know. I've done IL-2, Adoptive Cell Therapy with young TIL and IL-2, a few rounds of SRS, Yervoy, and Zelboraf. Thanks in advance.

Warmly, -Kevin

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Kevin,

I'm sorry to hear about this temporary setback…key word…temporary.  You have a great attitude and a fighting spirit, so don't stop now!  Hopefully, the brain mets are the old ones and will be zapped very soon.  Lynn L. on this board is always talking about her Anti-PD1 trial that she is on at Moffitt in Tampa, FL.  I don't know if they are still recruiting, but hopefully, she will respond to you.  It sounds like a great trial.  Please don't lose hope.  We are all praying for you!!!

Tricia

triciad
          Participant

Kevin,

I'm sorry to hear about this temporary setback…key word…temporary.  You have a great attitude and a fighting spirit, so don't stop now!  Hopefully, the brain mets are the old ones and will be zapped very soon.  Lynn L. on this board is always talking about her Anti-PD1 trial that she is on at Moffitt in Tampa, FL.  I don't know if they are still recruiting, but hopefully, she will respond to you.  It sounds like a great trial.  Please don't lose hope.  We are all praying for you!!!

Tricia

triciad
            Participant

Kevin,

Tricia

hope4cure1
              Participant

Kevin, I'm sorry the scan results weren't what you hoped.  It sounds like your doctor is optimistic and looking forward to a good treatment plan.  We are all pulling for you!

Hope

killmel
                  Participant

Kevin,

My heart goes out to you. Having brain issues is not easy so you are entitled to feel concerned.

I am praying that these brain mets are old mets & no news ones!!! I think that I read somewhere that if patients get new brain  mets while on a trial, the trial sponsor may kick off patients

Are you still being treated by Dr. Danies at UCSD??? If so, he is the best doctor available so you are in good hands.

When will you have PET/CT??? I am praying that you continue to show shrinkage to your mets.

God Bless You,

MaryBeth

killmel
                    Participant

Kevin,

My heart goes out to you. Having brain issues is not easy so you are entitled to feel concerned.

I am praying that these brain mets are old mets & no news ones!!! I think that I read somewhere that if patients get new brain  mets while on a trial, the trial sponsor may kick off patients

Are you still being treated by Dr. Danies at UCSD??? If so, he is the best doctor available so you are in good hands.

When will you have PET/CT??? I am praying that you continue to show shrinkage to your mets.

God Bless You,

MaryBeth

killmel
                      Participant

Kevin,

God Bless You,

MaryBeth

hope4cure1
                      Participant

Kevin, I'm sorry the scan results weren't what you hoped.  It sounds like your doctor is optimistic and looking forward to a good treatment plan.  We are all pulling for you!

Hope

hope4cure1
                        Participant

Hope

aldakota22
                          Participant

Kevin stay calm.Too many people praying and pulling for you.Keep us posted.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

Kevin stay calm.Too many people praying and pulling for you.Keep us posted.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

s Mom
                                Participant

I bet they'll zap those tiny tumors and you'll be back on Zel in no time.  Praying for you Kevin…Keep fighting the beast.  God Bless and keep us updated.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                  Participant

I bet they'll zap those tiny tumors and you'll be back on Zel in no time.  Praying for you Kevin…Keep fighting the beast.  God Bless and keep us updated.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

bikerwife
                                      Participant
                                        Kevin we are sitting in the same boat you are in. Lynn has been on z for four weeks. We are not on a clinical trial that I know of they never told us that we were. Anyway we have 2 small new brain mets the size of pin heads. like you they don’t know if they are new are some that were to little to show up first time. Lynn will be having gamma knife on aug 13 for them. Our dr also didn’t seem to upset. They told us not to worry they got them before and will get them again. I know it hard not to worry like you I kinda have a peace. About it to. Good luck and God bless we will fight together.
                                        bikerwife
                                        Participant
                                          Kevin we are sitting in the same boat you are in. Lynn has been on z for four weeks. We are not on a clinical trial that I know of they never told us that we were. Anyway we have 2 small new brain mets the size of pin heads. like you they don’t know if they are new are some that were to little to show up first time. Lynn will be having gamma knife on aug 13 for them. Our dr also didn’t seem to upset. They told us not to worry they got them before and will get them again. I know it hard not to worry like you I kinda have a peace. About it to. Good luck and God bless we will fight together.
                                          bikerwife
                                          Participant
                                          s Mom
                                          Participant

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

gabsound
                                            Participant
                                              Kevin,
                                              I think the good news is they are very small and can be “zapped” again. Let’s hope the Z is working on any other disease you may have.
                                              Your “calmness” comes thru in your posts. I think we can all feel your energy.

You are an inspiration to many on this board and we are all rooting for you. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

It seems I’ve read somewhere you can only do whole brain radiation once. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                              Participant
                                                Kevin,
                                                I think the good news is they are very small and can be “zapped” again. Let’s hope the Z is working on any other disease you may have.

You are an inspiration to many on this board and we are all rooting for you. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

It seems I’ve read somewhere you can only do whole brain radiation once. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                Participant
                                                  Kevin,

Julie in Las Vegas

King
                                                  Participant

Kevin,

Thanks for giving us an update.  You have been in one long, continuous battle.  Hang onto hope…stay calm and positive.

Your MPIP family is here for you.  One day at a time.

Stay Strong
                                                    King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                    Participant

Kevin,

Thanks for giving us an update.  You have been in one long, continuous battle.  Hang onto hope…stay calm and positive.

Stay Strong
                                                      King

King
                                                      Participant

Kevin,

Stay Strong
                                                        King

susanr
                                                        Participant

Kevin,

You are young……..Keep strong and fight !!!!!!!   I know it stinks hearing that news about the brain…but your doctor seems to not be worried which means they can deal with this issue.  Keep us posted.

Susan NY

susanr
                                                          Participant

Kevin,

You are young……..Keep strong and fight !!!!!!!   I know it stinks hearing that news about the brain…but your doctor seems to not be worried which means they can deal with this issue.  Keep us posted.

Susan NY

Erinmay22
                                                              Participant

Hey Kevin –

Thoughts and prayers your way!  Hang in there!  Can they do a Zelboraf/Ipi combo?  I know they are starting to trial those to help with brain mets?  Hate this disease…  

Erinmay22
                                                                Participant

Hey Kevin –

Thoughts and prayers your way!  Hang in there!  Can they do a Zelboraf/Ipi combo?  I know they are starting to trial those to help with brain mets?  Hate this disease…  

Erinmay22
                                                                  Participant

Hey Kevin –

susanr
                                                                  Participant

Kevin,

Susan NY

BethA in VA
                                                                    Participant

Keep on living!  Don't give MM ALL of your time.  Enjoy every moment of every day.  I wish this wasn't happening to you, and will pray for a good outcome.  Sending good wishes.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                                                                      Participant

Keep on living!  Don't give MM ALL of your time.  Enjoy every moment of every day.  I wish this wasn't happening to you, and will pray for a good outcome.  Sending good wishes.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics