The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Some Good News to Share

Forums General Melanoma Community Some Good News to Share

Participant

Hi Everyone,

Just popping in because I think of all of you often, even though I've been out and about "living life" as they say. Wanted to share some good news & a bit of hope, as such posts were so helpful to me when I first joined these boards in 2015.

I am 6 months from an intense summer battling some stubborn brain mets – 5 altogether with 4 recurrences, 2 that bled and needed back-to-back crainiotimies in June/July, followed by partial (not whole) brain radiation in August. It was a real touch-and-go summer during which I prepared my will and everything else you do when you really don't think you're going to make it.

Well last week I got the results of my second follow-up brain MRI after the surgeries, and everything is stable and clear! A little necrosis surrounding one spot but nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected, and most importantly, NOTHING NEW! My body, too, has remained stable and clear for a year now (since last February).

I am feeling better and more hopeful than I have since I was first diagnosed with muscosal melanoma in spring of 2015. I am back to work full-time, and my energy level is nearly back to normal (except a day or two after my maintenance pembro every 3 weeks when I'm hit with fatigue, like today).

Healthwise, 2017 is off to a fabulous start after an extraordianarily rocky 2016 that, on top of the brain met scenario, included some of the most extreme side effects of the ipi/nivo protocol. Along the way, these boards taught and encouraged me to get second opinions for optimum care.

All this is to say….hang in there fellow warriors!! You are all in my heart daily and I do check in every now and then without posting, to both follow many of your stories as well as stay informed with the latest research and anecdotal tales. Whenever you're here, you're doing what you're supposed to be doing – connecting and educating yourself to be your own best advocate.

So be well, be aware, and believe 🙂

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

Such good news, Maria!  I am sorry you had a rough summer, but it sounds like you beat the beast down and you can look forward to a much better 2017!

casagrayson
          Participant

Such good news, Maria!  I am sorry you had a rough summer, but it sounds like you beat the beast down and you can look forward to a much better 2017!

casagrayson
            Participant

maperny
              Participant

Hi Maria

Great to read this!  Have a fantastic 2017!

Maria

maperny
                Participant

Hi Maria

Maria

maperny
                  Participant

Hi Maria

Maria

snow white
                    Participant

This is so fantastic!!!!  Congrats to you!

Jen

snow white
                      Participant

Jen

snow white
                        Participant

Jen

Bubbles
                          Participant

So glad things are now going better for you!  That is wonderful!!!  Enjoy!  Celeste

Bubbles
                            Participant

So glad things are now going better for you!  That is wonderful!!!  Enjoy!  Celeste

Bubbles
                              Participant

Scooby123
                                Participant

So nice to hear some good news stories. So sad at moment a lot of bad news latley. You have been through a lot and nice that you have gone back to work. Feel at times good to do normal things to take your mind off Mel once in a while.

scooby x

Scooby123
                                  Participant

So nice to hear some good news stories. So sad at moment a lot of bad news latley. You have been through a lot and nice that you have gone back to work. Feel at times good to do normal things to take your mind off Mel once in a while.

scooby x

Scooby123
                                    Participant

scooby x

Mark_DC
                                      Participant

Maria, it was great last night to read your news, helps all of us!

Mark

Mark_DC
                                        Participant

Mark

Mark_DC
                                          Participant

Mark

sister of patient
                                            Participant

Hi Maria – Such great news – we are absolutely 'over the top' for you!! Thanks so much for letting us know. Best thoughts always!

Barb

sister of patient
                                              Participant

Hi Maria – Such great news – we are absolutely 'over the top' for you!! Thanks so much for letting us know. Best thoughts always!

Barb

sister of patient
                                                Participant

Barb

Maria C
                                                  Participant

Many thanks to all for the kind words and wishes. I don't know what's ahead of me but I do know I'll never be alone because of these boards. You all mean the world to me!!

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics