The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Small Intestine Surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Small Intestine Surgery

Participant

Ok – I know this has been discussed some before.   I am set Oct 4th to have surgery done on my small intestine to remove a section that has been showing up on my scans since May as significantly inflammed bowel.  I tried Zelboraf since May.  July scans showed some shrinkage but Sept scans showed it 's back to the same size as it was in May.  

Was given an option to start Ipi and see what happens (since not having many symptoms) but I prefer to just have it cut out!  Can anyone give some details on what it's like, what to expect, etc? 

Ok – I know this has been discussed some before.   I am set Oct 4th to have surgery done on my small intestine to remove a section that has been showing up on my scans since May as significantly inflammed bowel.  I tried Zelboraf since May.  July scans showed some shrinkage but Sept scans showed it 's back to the same size as it was in May.  

Was given an option to start Ipi and see what happens (since not having many symptoms) but I prefer to just have it cut out!  Can anyone give some details on what it's like, what to expect, etc? 

Thanks,

Erin

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Randy437
        Participant

I had 10 inches of small intestine removed almost three years ago.  The only issue I had was that a hernia developed about a year later and they had to go back in and add a mesh.  Pay attention to your surgeon's instructions about lifting during the post surgical period. 

Erinmay22
            Participant

Thanks Randy.  How long did you spend in the hospital?  My surgeon was saying anywhere from 3-7 days.  Depends on pain management, making sure I'm all closed up properly, and passing things.  

She did mention to lifting restrictions because don't want to end up with hernia (as you mentioned!).  

Randy437
              Participant

I believe I was in for 5 days.  It was a little complicated as my intestines and shifted around quite a bit.  Pain management was not an issue for me.  They will give you all you need/ask for.  Good luck – looking back, it was nothing compared to the 2 lung surgeries I had.  Now that was some kind of fun.

Erinmay22
                Participant

Thanks – yeah they mentioned 3-5 days (or more) all depending…  As for pain management not too worried – my surgeon did suggest getting an epidural.  They gave me one when I had my VAT's procedure done on my left lung.  What type of lung surgery did you have?  It's amazing what we can go thru, right?  Thanks again for the info!

Erinmay22
                  Participant

Thanks – yeah they mentioned 3-5 days (or more) all depending…  As for pain management not too worried – my surgeon did suggest getting an epidural.  They gave me one when I had my VAT's procedure done on my left lung.  What type of lung surgery did you have?  It's amazing what we can go thru, right?  Thanks again for the info!

Erinmay22
                    Participant

Randy437
                      Participant

I believe I was in for 5 days.  It was a little complicated as my intestines and shifted around quite a bit.  Pain management was not an issue for me.  They will give you all you need/ask for.  Good luck – looking back, it was nothing compared to the 2 lung surgeries I had.  Now that was some kind of fun.

Randy437
                        Participant

Erinmay22
                          Participant

Thanks Randy.  How long did you spend in the hospital?  My surgeon was saying anywhere from 3-7 days.  Depends on pain management, making sure I'm all closed up properly, and passing things.  

She did mention to lifting restrictions because don't want to end up with hernia (as you mentioned!).  

Erinmay22
                            Participant

Randy437
                            Participant

I had 10 inches of small intestine removed almost three years ago.  The only issue I had was that a hernia developed about a year later and they had to go back in and add a mesh.  Pay attention to your surgeon's instructions about lifting during the post surgical period. 

Randy437
                              Participant

awillett1991
                                Participant
                                  Erin – So are not doing IPI now? Just curious. I’m likely to start next week, waiting on insurance and have to wean off 5 mg prednisone I’ve been on to keep th Zrash in check. I am all for cutting things out if they can!

Amy

awillett1991
                                  Participant
                                    Erin – So are not doing IPI now? Just curious. I’m likely to start next week, waiting on insurance and have to wean off 5 mg prednisone I’ve been on to keep th Zrash in check. I am all for cutting things out if they can!

Amy

awillett1991
                                    Participant

Amy

Erinmay22
                                        Participant

Amy – like you I am still waiting on my insurance to clear me for Ipi.  Was supposed to get it today but now Friday.  Still going to do surgery just to get the spot out of me.  My plan sounds like it was very similar to yours.  Do Z for 4-5 months and before it totally stops working start Ipi.  Although my last scans showed that Z wasn't being very effective which is why I asked for surgery and do the Ipi.  

Thougths and prayers your way!

Erin

Erinmay22
                                          Participant

Amy – like you I am still waiting on my insurance to clear me for Ipi.  Was supposed to get it today but now Friday.  Still going to do surgery just to get the spot out of me.  My plan sounds like it was very similar to yours.  Do Z for 4-5 months and before it totally stops working start Ipi.  Although my last scans showed that Z wasn't being very effective which is why I asked for surgery and do the Ipi.  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                            Participant

Erin

Rebecca and Bob
                                            Participant

Erin,

My husband went through small intestinal surgery. The CTSCAN did not pick up the mets, the pet did. There were 3, and they removed them completely. It took him 5 days in the hospital, it was not easy. My husband had lung mets first and IL-2 got rid of those you can read his profile. My husband had two parts of his small intestine resected so it was a rougher recovery. On the bright side, it's been 3 years – he needs to go in this month for his tests. So we are praying he will be 3 years  NED.

Good luck with your surgery!

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                              Participant

Erin,

My husband went through small intestinal surgery. The CTSCAN did not pick up the mets, the pet did. There were 3, and they removed them completely. It took him 5 days in the hospital, it was not easy. My husband had lung mets first and IL-2 got rid of those you can read his profile. My husband had two parts of his small intestine resected so it was a rougher recovery. On the bright side, it's been 3 years – he needs to go in this month for his tests. So we are praying he will be 3 years  NED.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                Participant

Erin,

Rebecca

Erinmay22
                                                    Participant

Hi Rebecca –

Thanks for the note!  I haven't had a PET scan done – just the CT.  So far it looks to be just one area.  In talking with the surgeon today she thinks she'll have to remove maybe 5-10 inches?  yikes.  Good thing we have so much, right?  Not looking forward to the recover time.  But like you said – hopefully this will keep me NED for awhile?  

How long was he out of work?  I know they said it would be 3-7 days in the hospital.  Guessing on pain meds so that will be 2-3 weeks without driving.  After my VATs lung procedure I only stayed home a week and then switched to tylnol and was back to work.  Although in looking back I shouldn't have pushed it!  Looks like a big restriction is watching how much weight you pick up.  

Positive thoughts and prayers your way for great scans this month!

Erin

Rebecca and Bob
                                                      Participant

Erin,

Your right sounds like a lot but I can't remember what they took out of my husband with his surgery. By the way, he also had VATS first one of his tumors in the lung was there a year after IL-2, they removed it and it was dead. The intestinal mets came a year after that. It sounds like you have a similiar history – lung then small intestine. Do you have anything going on anywhere else at all, because if not I wouldn't be hesitating on the surgery although it did take him at least two weeks to recover at home. I would plan for the 5 days in the hospital, two weeks at home after that. I hope you have someone who will take care of you for a bit.

I'm wishing you the best and pray whatever decision you make it works for you. You have been through a lot just like my husband but you can beat this because people do and why shouldn't it be you.

Let us know how you do.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                        Participant

Erin,

Your right sounds like a lot but I can't remember what they took out of my husband with his surgery. By the way, he also had VATS first one of his tumors in the lung was there a year after IL-2, they removed it and it was dead. The intestinal mets came a year after that. It sounds like you have a similiar history – lung then small intestine. Do you have anything going on anywhere else at all, because if not I wouldn't be hesitating on the surgery although it did take him at least two weeks to recover at home. I would plan for the 5 days in the hospital, two weeks at home after that. I hope you have someone who will take care of you for a bit.

I'm wishing you the best and pray whatever decision you make it works for you. You have been through a lot just like my husband but you can beat this because people do and why shouldn't it be you.

Let us know how you do.

Rebecca

Erinmay22
                                                          Participant

Rebecca –

Thanks for your note!  yes your husband's story sounds very simillar to mine!  I'm all for the surgery.  Just have to mentally prepare myself, right?  🙂  As it stands right now – this spot in my intestine (along with a node that is enlarged near it) are the only things showing up on my scans.  I asked for surgery in May but my team decided to wait since my hemoglobin was holding steady and I since this was the 2nd time having melanoma show up they thought a systematic approach might be worthwhile.  I figure if it's just 1 main spot – cut it out!  right?  

I do have help coming.   My sister is going to come stay with me for 7 days and then another family member will come stay for a week or 2.  I have a roommate who can help me with my dogs but I don't really want to ask too much of him.  

Thanks so much!  Will keep you posted.  I start Ipi tomorrow.  Might as well kick it with tx and surgery right?  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                            Participant

Rebecca –

Thanks for your note!  yes your husband's story sounds very simillar to mine!  I'm all for the surgery.  Just have to mentally prepare myself, right?  🙂  As it stands right now – this spot in my intestine (along with a node that is enlarged near it) are the only things showing up on my scans.  I asked for surgery in May but my team decided to wait since my hemoglobin was holding steady and I since this was the 2nd time having melanoma show up they thought a systematic approach might be worthwhile.  I figure if it's just 1 main spot – cut it out!  right?  

I do have help coming.   My sister is going to come stay with me for 7 days and then another family member will come stay for a week or 2.  I have a roommate who can help me with my dogs but I don't really want to ask too much of him.  

Thanks so much!  Will keep you posted.  I start Ipi tomorrow.  Might as well kick it with tx and surgery right?  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                              Participant

Rebecca –

Erin

Rebecca and Bob
                                                                Participant

Erin,

Let us know how you do.

Rebecca

Erinmay22
                                                                  Participant

Hi Rebecca –

Thanks for the note!  I haven't had a PET scan done – just the CT.  So far it looks to be just one area.  In talking with the surgeon today she thinks she'll have to remove maybe 5-10 inches?  yikes.  Good thing we have so much, right?  Not looking forward to the recover time.  But like you said – hopefully this will keep me NED for awhile?  

How long was he out of work?  I know they said it would be 3-7 days in the hospital.  Guessing on pain meds so that will be 2-3 weeks without driving.  After my VATs lung procedure I only stayed home a week and then switched to tylnol and was back to work.  Although in looking back I shouldn't have pushed it!  Looks like a big restriction is watching how much weight you pick up.  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                                    Participant

Hi Rebecca –

Erin

Sandy11
                                                                    Participant

Looking forward to good results from your upcoming procedure.

My husband had been undergoing Microwave ablations to remove lung mets (11 to date).  This strategy has been going well.  Recently, a scan came back showing activity in his small intestine.  He'll be undergoing one last lung ablation this week and then pursuing a more accurate diagnosis of the activity shown in his intestine.  Options seem scant on obtaining biopsies in this area.  Is this correct? 

If confirmed… it seems the resections have been very successful. This is good news indeed!

Sandy11
                                                                      Participant

My husband had been undergoing Microwave ablations to remove lung mets (11 to date).  This strategy has been going well.  Recently, a scan came back showing activity in his small intestine.  He'll be undergoing one last lung ablation this week and then pursuing a more accurate diagnosis of the activity shown in his intestine.  Options seem scant on obtaining biopsies in this area.  Is this correct? 

If confirmed… it seems the resections have been very successful. This is good news indeed!

Sandy11
                                                                        Participant

Erinmay22
                                                                            Participant

Sandy –

Sorry to hear your husband is going thru the same thing.  microwave abiations to remove lung mets?  Not sure I've heard of that before?  

My onc said (sadly) that it's fairly common to see Melanoma go from the lungs to the intestine.  I asked about biopsy also but the respone I got was – it's not an easy area to reach to biospy – so if we're going to biopsy we might as well just take the whole thing out.  

But yes, there are several cases I've heard from folks that had it removed and remained NED – so hoping that can be the case with me, right?  keep me posted on your husband!  thoughts and prayers your way.
                                                                              Erin

Erinmay22
                                                                              Participant

Sandy –

Sorry to hear your husband is going thru the same thing.  microwave abiations to remove lung mets?  Not sure I've heard of that before?  

My onc said (sadly) that it's fairly common to see Melanoma go from the lungs to the intestine.  I asked about biopsy also but the respone I got was – it's not an easy area to reach to biospy – so if we're going to biopsy we might as well just take the whole thing out.  

But yes, there are several cases I've heard from folks that had it removed and remained NED – so hoping that can be the case with me, right?  keep me posted on your husband!  thoughts and prayers your way.
                                                                                Erin

Sandy11
                                                                                Participant

Hello Erin, just wanted to check in with you before your upcoming surgery… I know it will go well.  Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery and awesome results.

Things changed a bit for my sweet husband.  He was being prepped for the latest ablation on his lung mets & the doc came in with tears in her eyes holding the scan results-9 more tumors for a total of 13. Time for Ipi.. they have already ablated about 10 other tumors so gotta try something else. He still has an appt to discuss the possible mass in his intestine.

take care, Sandy

Sandy11
                                                                                  Participant

Hello Erin, just wanted to check in with you before your upcoming surgery… I know it will go well.  Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery and awesome results.

Things changed a bit for my sweet husband.  He was being prepped for the latest ablation on his lung mets & the doc came in with tears in her eyes holding the scan results-9 more tumors for a total of 13. Time for Ipi.. they have already ablated about 10 other tumors so gotta try something else. He still has an appt to discuss the possible mass in his intestine.

take care, Sandy

Sandy11
                                                                                    Participant

take care, Sandy

Erinmay22
                                                                                      Participant

Sandy –

Erin

Tina D
                                                                                      Participant

Erin

You have been in my thoughts and prayers especially these last couple of days. Praying that you will have as easy a time of it as possible with your upcoming surgery and a smooth and speedy recovery.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                        Participant

Erin

You have been in my thoughts and prayers especially these last couple of days. Praying that you will have as easy a time of it as possible with your upcoming surgery and a smooth and speedy recovery.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                          Participant

Erin

Tina

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                            Participant

Erin, surgery does seem like the best option as it can quickly reduce the amount of melanoma cells that the immune system has to deal with.

A long time ago I had surgery for the complications of appendicitis. This resulted in me spending at least a couple weeks in hospital. I expect that surgical procedures have improved greatly since then.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                              Participant

Erin, surgery does seem like the best option as it can quickly reduce the amount of melanoma cells that the immune system has to deal with.

A long time ago I had surgery for the complications of appendicitis. This resulted in me spending at least a couple weeks in hospital. I expect that surgical procedures have improved greatly since then.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics