The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Since I’m already freaking out about everything else….

Forums General Melanoma Community Since I’m already freaking out about everything else….

Participant

When Shane was in for his brain MRI last night he was in there for a very long time. Longer than any other brain scan. I'm hoping that doesn't mean something negative. It was 25 mins. Anybody else know if that a normal amount of time?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        iskitwo
        Participant

I know when I have done them they always take about 25 to 35 minutes. I have had two and each of them have taken that long and both came back clear. Hope he gets a good report!!

jennunicorn
          Participant

Mine have always taken 30 minutes or more, so I wouldn't worry too much, you've got enough worry on your plate. 

Best,

Jahendry12
            Participant

When my husband has had them, he is usually taken back and I don't see him again for about 45 min. 

Hope these replies helps ease your mind.  I know how excruciatingly difficult this journey is.

Don't worry.  All my MRIs have been at least 30 minutes.  Try to breathe.

Mat
              Participant

Totally normal time.  I also freak out when the technician says "good luck" after I'm done.  What does he know that he's not telling me???

Mat
                  Participant

I should add that this was my (poor) attempt at melanoma humor.  Not a comment on your situation, which I see is challenging at the moment.  

Mark_DC
                  Participant

Dear Janis,

I know you are going throught a lot (too much) but 25 minutes is fine, I think mine takes 35 minutes. If i move my head (i have not!) then it will take longer if they have to rescan bits. so please try not to read too much into it. I was freaking out waiting for an ultrasound for a possible dvt, the technician took so long, but just because the doctor was busy with something else and could not look at my image. Best not to over worry (know its difficult / impossible)

good luck and am wishing / praying for good news

Mark

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics