The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Shoulder Pain post axillay LND

Forums General Melanoma Community Shoulder Pain post axillay LND

Participant

Hi everyone.

Hi everyone.

I just have a quick question for those who have had axillary node dissection.  I had my surgery more than 3 years ago and I've had some pain mostly in my arm pit area some nerve pain too.  I know this is common.  I have no signs of lymphadema.  About two months ago I started having should pain with lifting my arm.  Hurst when I wash my hair, when I'm sleeping on that side, pretty much any movement above my head.  I don't think I injured it recently.  If I did I don't remember it.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this pain.  Saw my onc. in May and chest x-ray and blood work was all good.  Thanks for any advice.

Amy S. in Michigan

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

It could be some minor lymphedema so you may want to get a script to see a lymphedema therapist who will give you tips on self massage and exercises. I had similar pain in my arm back in April and went to see a therapist. After she measured me she pointed out I had some very minor swelling and she recommended some self massage and exercise. As soon as I started the massage and exercises I had relief within days (kid you not!). If you don't have a sleeve, you may want to consider getting one because wearing it does help when your arm gets achy. Lymphedivas and Dreamsleeve make really pretty sleeves. A therapist will be able to measure you for one.

Linny
          Participant

It could be some minor lymphedema so you may want to get a script to see a lymphedema therapist who will give you tips on self massage and exercises. I had similar pain in my arm back in April and went to see a therapist. After she measured me she pointed out I had some very minor swelling and she recommended some self massage and exercise. As soon as I started the massage and exercises I had relief within days (kid you not!). If you don't have a sleeve, you may want to consider getting one because wearing it does help when your arm gets achy. Lymphedivas and Dreamsleeve make really pretty sleeves. A therapist will be able to measure you for one.

Linny
            Participant

gabsound
              Participant
                Amy,

Typically pain when raising your arm can be associated w rotator cuff. My other comment would be I’ve had pain in shoulder region and behind shoulder. I tried an online yoga routine that “cured” me. “Do yoga with me” the stroppy shoulder strap routine under beginners. It’s worth a try. Two to three times for me- complete cure. Just a thought.

Julie from Las Vegas

gabsound
                Participant
                  Amy,

Typically pain when raising your arm can be associated w rotator cuff. My other comment would be I’ve had pain in shoulder region and behind shoulder. I tried an online yoga routine that “cured” me. “Do yoga with me” the stroppy shoulder strap routine under beginners. It’s worth a try. Two to three times for me- complete cure. Just a thought.

Julie from Las Vegas

gabsound
                  Participant
                    Amy,

Julie from Las Vegas

ylkay
                    Participant

I have very similar pain in my shoulder but my LND was in my groin. After months of PT and pain meds, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed a torn rotator cuff. I wasn't able to have surgery because of various other medical problems but a shot of cortisone and ice packs keep the pain under control. MM doesn't exempt us from all the other problems our bodies can have. Darn! Get an accurate diagnosis.

Kay

IIIc

ylkay
                      Participant

I have very similar pain in my shoulder but my LND was in my groin. After months of PT and pain meds, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed a torn rotator cuff. I wasn't able to have surgery because of various other medical problems but a shot of cortisone and ice packs keep the pain under control. MM doesn't exempt us from all the other problems our bodies can have. Darn! Get an accurate diagnosis.

Kay

IIIc

ylkay
                        Participant

Kay

IIIc

washoegal
                          Participant

If this is a new pain I would think it has nothong to do with your LND.  I am two years post complete LND and I have pain under the arm, sometimes severe.  But it is obviously nerve damage.  and there has never been any new symptoms.  There has been lessen symptoms for about the first 16 months but now I think I am stable.  If it lasts more than a couple of weeks or gets worse you might want to see an orthopedist, 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                            Participant

If this is a new pain I would think it has nothong to do with your LND.  I am two years post complete LND and I have pain under the arm, sometimes severe.  But it is obviously nerve damage.  and there has never been any new symptoms.  There has been lessen symptoms for about the first 16 months but now I think I am stable.  If it lasts more than a couple of weeks or gets worse you might want to see an orthopedist, 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                              Participant

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics