The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Should I take Prednisone or tough out the joint pain?

Forums General Melanoma Community Should I take Prednisone or tough out the joint pain?

Participant

I've been taking Zelboraf and in February it will be the 1-year anniversary of taking the drug. I'm NED since May and hope to stay that way.  I'm on 6 pills per day and I can say for the most part the side effects have been tolerable. For every reaction there has been something availabe to combat it. The joint pain comes and goes however my knees and shoulders seem to get the brunt of it. I've taken the steriod dose pack only twice and unfortunately advil, and aleve don't help. My onc has prescribed 10mg daily of prednisone. I've yet to fill it.

I've been taking Zelboraf and in February it will be the 1-year anniversary of taking the drug. I'm NED since May and hope to stay that way.  I'm on 6 pills per day and I can say for the most part the side effects have been tolerable. For every reaction there has been something availabe to combat it. The joint pain comes and goes however my knees and shoulders seem to get the brunt of it. I've taken the steriod dose pack only twice and unfortunately advil, and aleve don't help. My onc has prescribed 10mg daily of prednisone. I've yet to fill it. I have a pretty high pain tolerance so of course I'm toughing it out. I was wondering if anyone else is taking the daily steriod and do you have any side effects from it? I'm very leary of taking even more pills. She also told me to take Prilosec with it because it can cause stomach issues. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hi Kellie,

I can't speak from experience but I have a nurse friend that has arthritis and she says that Curcurmin (Tumeric) 1000 mg in the morning and 675 mg at night relieve it and it might help you.

This is just a suggestion.

NYKaren
            Participant
              Hi Kellie,
              From my experience w/Ipi-induced colitis, 10 mg is not a very high dose. Maybe you can try it & see how you feel? If u don’t like it, you can take 5 mg for a few days and then stop.

After 10 days on Zel, I have a rash on my face adjacent to several mets; who knows if and where it will spread.
              All the best,
              karen

NYKaren
              Participant
                Hi Kellie,
                From my experience w/Ipi-induced colitis, 10 mg is not a very high dose. Maybe you can try it & see how you feel? If u don’t like it, you can take 5 mg for a few days and then stop.

After 10 days on Zel, I have a rash on my face adjacent to several mets; who knows if and where it will spread.
                All the best,
                karen

NYKaren
                Participant
                  Hi Kellie,

All the best,
                  karen

Gene_S
                Participant

Hi Kellie,

I can't speak from experience but I have a nurse friend that has arthritis and she says that Curcurmin (Tumeric) 1000 mg in the morning and 675 mg at night relieve it and it might help you.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hi Kellie,

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Kellie – I emailed you. TMI for a post. I have been round and round with Zel and Prednisone.

Amy

awillett1991
                      Participant
                        Kellie – I emailed you. TMI for a post. I have been round and round with Zel and Prednisone.

Amy

awillett1991
                        Participant

Amy

dellriol
                          Participant

I take prednisone with zelboraf because I got to the point my right shoulder was almost frozen and I couldn't use the hand without pain. I took 10 mg a day for 3 months, and am now taking 5 mg a day. I had borderline high bp and the prednisone raised it just enough that i started taking meds for that, so that's why we dropped the dose.  I have had to take prilosec pretty much since I started on Zel, but only take it about 2-3 times a week.  Seems to be enough to keep the heartburn away. Dr. is hoping that by dropping the dose of prednisone I'll be able to drop the BP meds too.

If you get the big red knots that feel like a boil, the pred seems to prvent them too. 

Gene_S
                              Participant

Instead of Prilosec try drinking Aloe Vera Juice and it will kill the heartburn with no prescription drugs.  I think about 2 ounces in whatever you like a day is enough to work.  

Gene_S
                                Participant

Instead of Prilosec try drinking Aloe Vera Juice and it will kill the heartburn with no prescription drugs.  I think about 2 ounces in whatever you like a day is enough to work.  

Gene_S
                                  Participant

dellriol
                                  Participant

I take prednisone with zelboraf because I got to the point my right shoulder was almost frozen and I couldn't use the hand without pain. I took 10 mg a day for 3 months, and am now taking 5 mg a day. I had borderline high bp and the prednisone raised it just enough that i started taking meds for that, so that's why we dropped the dose.  I have had to take prilosec pretty much since I started on Zel, but only take it about 2-3 times a week.  Seems to be enough to keep the heartburn away. Dr. is hoping that by dropping the dose of prednisone I'll be able to drop the BP meds too.

If you get the big red knots that feel like a boil, the pred seems to prvent them too. 

dellriol
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics