The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Severity of Zelboraf joint pain?

Forums General Melanoma Community Severity of Zelboraf joint pain?

Participant

I see on here where many people are dealing with joint pain from the Zelboraf.  I just started it 2/21/13 and started 3 pills twice a day on 2/28/13. Within 3 days of the increased dose I had a terible rash all over and terrible joint pain.  I could hardly walk. I am still working and need to as long as I can.  Are you guys living with severe joint pain that keeps you from walking, grasping a pen, pouring a glass drinkg from a bottle/pitcher? THe onc.

I see on here where many people are dealing with joint pain from the Zelboraf.  I just started it 2/21/13 and started 3 pills twice a day on 2/28/13. Within 3 days of the increased dose I had a terible rash all over and terrible joint pain.  I could hardly walk. I am still working and need to as long as I can.  Are you guys living with severe joint pain that keeps you from walking, grasping a pen, pouring a glass drinkg from a bottle/pitcher? THe onc. took me off z yesterday for a few days.  He said if I was better enough Friday (3 days off) I could start back on the z otherwise come to see him Monday and we will asses and start back on the low dose. I can put up with the itching even though it is terrible, but I cant function with the severtiy of joint pain I had the last 2 days.  It is getting better today and is tolerable.  I am back at work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Becky

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Becky,

I have certainly been in your shoes with Zel. I currently take 2 Aleve twice a day, plus prednisone, and I’m on an intermittent dosing schedule of 2 wks on/ 1 wk off – 3 tabs twice a day, all because I have such a hard time tolerating it. Been hospitalized twice.

My dr is very knowledgeable and has insisted from the beginning that he would not put me on 2×2, he feels it isnt effective.

There are options! Some studies in mice showed that the intermittent dosing can delay resistance and although there are no human studies I know of, some people are having success with it.

Good luck!

awillett1991
          Participant
            Becky,

I have certainly been in your shoes with Zel. I currently take 2 Aleve twice a day, plus prednisone, and I’m on an intermittent dosing schedule of 2 wks on/ 1 wk off – 3 tabs twice a day, all because I have such a hard time tolerating it. Been hospitalized twice.

My dr is very knowledgeable and has insisted from the beginning that he would not put me on 2×2, he feels it isnt effective.

There are options! Some studies in mice showed that the intermittent dosing can delay resistance and although there are no human studies I know of, some people are having success with it.

Good luck!

awillett1991
            Participant
              Becky,

Good luck!

jP85
              Participant
                I had similar trouble. I was hospitalised with little/no use of most joints after about 5 days on 4 tabs twice a day. I had a week off and then tried 3 tabs twice a day and had a reduced reaction but still after 7 days it again became severely restrictive and I have a crawling 8 month old baby so really need to be able to grab things. No painkillers or anti inflammatories seemed to have any effect with me but now I am currently taking 2 tabs twice a day and managing to get to about 3 weeks before it becomes too bad.

I haven’t had scans yet since starting the lower dose but scans after about 3 weeks on and off 3/4 tabs suggested it may be working on some. My doctor suggested reviewing options for taking once it’s clearer at my next set of scans.

jP85
                Participant
                  I had similar trouble. I was hospitalised with little/no use of most joints after about 5 days on 4 tabs twice a day. I had a week off and then tried 3 tabs twice a day and had a reduced reaction but still after 7 days it again became severely restrictive and I have a crawling 8 month old baby so really need to be able to grab things. No painkillers or anti inflammatories seemed to have any effect with me but now I am currently taking 2 tabs twice a day and managing to get to about 3 weeks before it becomes too bad.

I haven’t had scans yet since starting the lower dose but scans after about 3 weeks on and off 3/4 tabs suggested it may be working on some. My doctor suggested reviewing options for taking once it’s clearer at my next set of scans.

jP85
                  Participant

jP85
                    Participant

bkinman
                        Participant

Thanks for sharing. It helps to know you are not the only one in the boat. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have been off z since Mon. night, today is Thursday, and am still having joint pain.  Not debilitating, but somewhat limiting.

Thanks again, Becky

bkinman
                          Participant

Thanks for sharing. It helps to know you are not the only one in the boat. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have been off z since Mon. night, today is Thursday, and am still having joint pain.  Not debilitating, but somewhat limiting.

Thanks again, Becky

bkinman
                            Participant

Thanks again, Becky

jP85
                            Participant

jP85
                              Participant

jP85
                                Participant
                                  When I came off the first time it took about 5 days for me to be able to pick things up again like cups etc. On the lower dose it doesn’t take as long to return to normal, although I think there may be some damage to my hands and wrists now as I have general weakness even when the pain subsides whilst off the z.
                                  jP85
                                  Participant
                                    When I came off the first time it took about 5 days for me to be able to pick things up again like cups etc. On the lower dose it doesn’t take as long to return to normal, although I think there may be some damage to my hands and wrists now as I have general weakness even when the pain subsides whilst off the z.
                                    jP85
                                    Participant
                                      fraymes
                                      Participant

Becky, had similar side effects  rash,joint pain, and more. Original dose was reduced from 4 (am) + 4 (pm) to 2 & 2 most side effects have subsided except I keep breaking out with cancerous growth on various parts of my skin, primairily legs.

FR

fraymes
                                        Participant

Becky, had similar side effects  rash,joint pain, and more. Original dose was reduced from 4 (am) + 4 (pm) to 2 & 2 most side effects have subsided except I keep breaking out with cancerous growth on various parts of my skin, primairily legs.

FR

bkinman
                                            Participant

Wanted to update on my status.  Today is 4/11/13.  I went off Z for a week in March then started back at the low dose (2am 2pm) then 2am, 3pm and worked my way up to 4am and 4pm this monday, 4/8/13.  I still have the joint pain, but it is not debilitating and goes from joint to joint.  I mostly take Lortab for pain when it gets bad.  He put me on celebrex 200 mg twice daily.  The rash (I guess you still call it that) is still there, but does not itch.  Just looks like bumps on each of my pores.  Skin on my face stays pretty red but finally sloughed off some of the roughness this am, maybe it will get softer.  My hair has begun to come out some. I can see more of my scalp.  Eyebrows are leaving me, but can still pull them off with some brow powder stuff I got at Sally's Beauty supply.  I go for my follow-up scans in TX Monday.  I have lots of people praying for me, so I am believing for good results. 

Best,

Becky

bkinman
                                              Participant

Wanted to update on my status.  Today is 4/11/13.  I went off Z for a week in March then started back at the low dose (2am 2pm) then 2am, 3pm and worked my way up to 4am and 4pm this monday, 4/8/13.  I still have the joint pain, but it is not debilitating and goes from joint to joint.  I mostly take Lortab for pain when it gets bad.  He put me on celebrex 200 mg twice daily.  The rash (I guess you still call it that) is still there, but does not itch.  Just looks like bumps on each of my pores.  Skin on my face stays pretty red but finally sloughed off some of the roughness this am, maybe it will get softer.  My hair has begun to come out some. I can see more of my scalp.  Eyebrows are leaving me, but can still pull them off with some brow powder stuff I got at Sally's Beauty supply.  I go for my follow-up scans in TX Monday.  I have lots of people praying for me, so I am believing for good results. 

Best,

Becky

bkinman
                                                Participant

Best,

Becky

fraymes
                                                Participant

FR

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics