The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SCANXIETY

Forums General Melanoma Community SCANXIETY

• Replies
      Linny
      Participant

That was timely. I have my scan tomorrow.

All I keep thinking is that by this time tomorrow I will know the results. And, keep praying that they will be good.

Linny
        Participant

All I keep thinking is that by this time tomorrow I will know the results. And, keep praying that they will be good.

Jahendry12
            Participant

Linny – Saying a prayer for you today.  Hoping for good results tomorrow.

Linny
              Participant

Thank you for the prayer. It must have worked because I am still NED.

Hope all is well with you.

Linny
                Participant

Jahendry12
                  Participant

Awesome!!!!  Great news!  So happy for you.  Go out and celebrate ๐Ÿ™‚

Jahendry12
                    Participant

Jahendry12
                      Participant

Linny
                        Participant

Jahendry12
                          Participant

Jahendry12
                            Participant

Linny
                            Participant

LibbyinVA
                              Participant

Thanks for sharing this article, Julie. It was a good read and "scanxiety" is something we know too well. I am approaching my 8th year of being NED, which my insurance company decided is too far out to continue paying for scans.

Frankly, I know some of us with melanoma feel like ticking time bombs…I certainly did. But now there is a certain freedom I feel from no longer having to live my life from scan to scan. Initially I was most unhappy with the decision. As time passed, I found myself living and enjoying life again instead of counting down the time for my next set of scans. 

Please know that I do not mean we should ever take melanoma lightly. Scanxiety was so stressful for both me and my family. So, I completely understand how you feel.

I hope clean scans become the norm for your husband and that one day he will be NED for so long that you can stop living your lives in monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc. segments. In the meantime, this site is the place to come for support and perhaps some hope from survivors like me, and there are many of us. This site, actually the wonderful people who use it, were my lifeline for a long time. I needed lots of support and now I hope I can give some.

All the best to you and your husband!

-Libby (IIIb since 2006)

LibbyinVA
                                Participant

Thanks for sharing this article, Julie. It was a good read and "scanxiety" is something we know too well. I am approaching my 8th year of being NED, which my insurance company decided is too far out to continue paying for scans.

Frankly, I know some of us with melanoma feel like ticking time bombs…I certainly did. But now there is a certain freedom I feel from no longer having to live my life from scan to scan. Initially I was most unhappy with the decision. As time passed, I found myself living and enjoying life again instead of counting down the time for my next set of scans. 

Please know that I do not mean we should ever take melanoma lightly. Scanxiety was so stressful for both me and my family. So, I completely understand how you feel.

I hope clean scans become the norm for your husband and that one day he will be NED for so long that you can stop living your lives in monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc. segments. In the meantime, this site is the place to come for support and perhaps some hope from survivors like me, and there are many of us. This site, actually the wonderful people who use it, were my lifeline for a long time. I needed lots of support and now I hope I can give some.

-Libby (IIIb since 2006)

LibbyinVA
                                  Participant

-Libby (IIIb since 2006)

Jahendry12
                                      Participant

Thanks for the response Libby.  So glad you are so far out and still NED – gives the rest of us alot of hope!

I have found this site to be very helpful and have learned alot over the past couple of months.

Here's the many many more years NED ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie

Jahendry12
                                        Participant

Thanks for the response Libby.  So glad you are so far out and still NED – gives the rest of us alot of hope!

I have found this site to be very helpful and have learned alot over the past couple of months.

Julie

Jahendry12
                                          Participant

Julie

LibbyinVA
                                            Participant

Thanks, Julie…wishing you the same!

Libby

LibbyinVA
                                              Participant

Libby

LibbyinVA
                                                Participant

Libby

kpcollins31
                                                Participant
                                                  I will be in this 3 month cycle shortly after my surgery next week and it will not be fun. Living life on a 3-month cycle will be tough… I never worried about scans previously, but now that I am stage 4 they will have broader implications. I guess it is the new “normal.”

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                  Participant
                                                    I will be in this 3 month cycle shortly after my surgery next week and it will not be fun. Living life on a 3-month cycle will be tough… I never worried about scans previously, but now that I am stage 4 they will have broader implications. I guess it is the new “normal.”

Kevin

Jahendry12
                                                      Participant

Kevin – I totally understand.  After a scan, the next scan is never far from our minds but we manage to live lives as normal as possible and go through our day to day activities.  About a week before the scan is when we both start thinking about it more.  On our way to the scan we usually don't talk much.  We both know what the other is thinking.  It's not easy living this way, but I guess I would be worse if we didn't have the scans…always wondering if/when symptoms would start.  Like you said above, it's a new normal.

I'll be thinking about you next week and hope your surgery goes well. 

Julie

Jahendry12
                                                        Participant

Kevin – I totally understand.  After a scan, the next scan is never far from our minds but we manage to live lives as normal as possible and go through our day to day activities.  About a week before the scan is when we both start thinking about it more.  On our way to the scan we usually don't talk much.  We both know what the other is thinking.  It's not easy living this way, but I guess I would be worse if we didn't have the scans…always wondering if/when symptoms would start.  Like you said above, it's a new normal.

Julie

Jahendry12
                                                          Participant

Julie

kpcollins31
                                                          Participant

Kevin

hbecker
                                                            Participant

Julie,

I write about scanxiety on my blog every few months!! I read this article by Bruce Feiler before my first blog post about it.

But not, unfortunately, every three months – the scans my husband just had were 5 long months after the previous ones.The next ones will be May 1, back on our four-month schedule.

Results were good – NED!!! So, I am sleeping again. And we will cram as much life as we can into the next four months!!

Please let us know the results. And that goes for you, too, Linny! I'll be thinking of you both.

~Hazel

hbecker
                                                              Participant

Julie,

I write about scanxiety on my blog every few months!! I read this article by Bruce Feiler before my first blog post about it.

But not, unfortunately, every three months – the scans my husband just had were 5 long months after the previous ones.The next ones will be May 1, back on our four-month schedule.

Results were good – NED!!! So, I am sleeping again. And we will cram as much life as we can into the next four months!!

Please let us know the results. And that goes for you, too, Linny! I'll be thinking of you both.

~Hazel

hbecker
                                                                Participant

Julie,

~Hazel

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics