The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scan and treatment update

Forums General Melanoma Community Scan and treatment update

Participant

This Thursday I went for my normal nivolumab treatment, and mentioned to my doc that I wasn't feeling great lately, but especially this week. Told doc of stomach discomfort and slight nausea, just like I used to have right before my diagnosis last year. Doc noticed my blood sugar has skyrocketed to over 300, and that my LDH has been on the rise just a bit… Nothing too high, but let's scan to see if something is going on. I took another blood test, and started on prednisone pre meds before having the CT yesterday. 

As you may recall, my last scan was in December, and I was told I was NED, as all nodules either disappeared all together or were transparent. Yesterday's scan shows that everything is completely gone from lymph nodes and intestines, but there are two new nodules in my right middle lung lobe, about 5-6 mm. The report says they are indeterminate between metastasis versus mild infection. So at this point, we can't tell if these nodules are mets, and the plan is to wait and see, as they can very commonly be from infection, and may not show on next scans. 

However, my doc says that the treatment has induced diabetes in me, and we now have to stop treatments until we can get the blood sugar under control. I said maybe it's my fault and not the treatment, but he insisted its actually due to the treatment, but that I will have to monitor my carb and sugar intake, in hopes we may start up treatments again soon, or if at all. I guess right now, everything is up in the air, which is unsettling, to say the least. I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous about two new lung nodules AND stopping treatment at the same time!

To top it all off, despite the prednisone premeds before my scan, I still had one of my good ol reactions, and had fever, chills, shortness of breath, and vomiting. I called the on-call doc and he gave me a choice between  going to the ER last night, or starting on prednisone last night and this morning. And if I wasn't feeling any better by morning, I would have to go to the ER today. So I did 60 mg of prednisone at 11pm, 40 this morning, and 20 this afternoon, and I didn't have to go to the ER! I still had a slight fever this morning, but that was it. I slept most of today, and am now feeling mostly normal! I guess now we just have to figure out how to scan me without these nasty reactions!

So I don't know if this mean sim still NED or not. I guess I just have to wait and see! Any input you all may have is greatly appreciated… The support I receive daily from this board is incredible! Thank you!

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi,

I am sorry you are not feeling too good at moment, let's pray it's an infection nothing eles. Sorry your treatment has given you more issues to deal with but hope you get sorted and back on top of things soon.

take care

Scooby123

Scooby123
          Participant

Hi,

I am sorry you are not feeling too good at moment, let's pray it's an infection nothing eles. Sorry your treatment has given you more issues to deal with but hope you get sorted and back on top of things soon.

take care

Scooby123

Scooby123
            Participant

Hi,

take care

Scooby123

jennunicorn
              Participant

Sorry you have felt crappy lately and I will keep positive thoughts about your lungs in hopes it's just from an infection. All the best to you!

jennunicorn
                Participant

Sorry you have felt crappy lately and I will keep positive thoughts about your lungs in hopes it's just from an infection. All the best to you!

jennunicorn
                  Participant

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      Oh how awful! What a roller coaster – hoping you get back to feeling normal soon!!

The steroids could be raising your blood sugar. Are you monitoring your sugar daily? If you’d like to get your blood sugar back to normal (and get back onto treatment!) definitely cut out sugar and carbs like rice and bread. Fruit has fiber, which helps to slow digestion, so that’s ok as long as you don’t go crazy. You could try to go on an atkins-like diet for a few days, monitor your sugar, and see how it responds. I’m sure it’s stressful to have to worry about diabetes while going through this! Even if you’re not well enough to go back on Nivo, its so worth it to get your blood sugar back to normal and get to feeling better!

I’ve had lots of family members with diabetes, and they never feel right when their sugar is off. If you suddenly feel light headed, your breath gets fruity, you have vision changes, or extreme thirst and/or having to pee, call your doc!

Hope you get to feeling better soon and hope you’re still NED!

WithinMySkin
                      Participant
                        Oh how awful! What a roller coaster – hoping you get back to feeling normal soon!!

The steroids could be raising your blood sugar. Are you monitoring your sugar daily? If you’d like to get your blood sugar back to normal (and get back onto treatment!) definitely cut out sugar and carbs like rice and bread. Fruit has fiber, which helps to slow digestion, so that’s ok as long as you don’t go crazy. You could try to go on an atkins-like diet for a few days, monitor your sugar, and see how it responds. I’m sure it’s stressful to have to worry about diabetes while going through this! Even if you’re not well enough to go back on Nivo, its so worth it to get your blood sugar back to normal and get to feeling better!

I’ve had lots of family members with diabetes, and they never feel right when their sugar is off. If you suddenly feel light headed, your breath gets fruity, you have vision changes, or extreme thirst and/or having to pee, call your doc!

WithinMySkin
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hi Eileen,

Sorry you are having reactions to something at the time of your scans.  My husband has the same problem with one of the contrast that they administer at scan time which causes him to not feel well and he was projectile vomiting on the way home in the car.  We told the oncologist and they use something different for the contrast for him.

You might want to ask you oncologist if they can use something different.

Check into benfotiamine(derived from Vitamin B1) and how it helps with diabetes and also Cinnamon.  Most doctors won't tell you about these things because they push scripts but if you talk with a naturopath they might would or just research it on the internet.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 3 years)

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hi Eileen,

Sorry you are having reactions to something at the time of your scans.  My husband has the same problem with one of the contrast that they administer at scan time which causes him to not feel well and he was projectile vomiting on the way home in the car.  We told the oncologist and they use something different for the contrast for him.

Check into benfotiamine(derived from Vitamin B1) and how it helps with diabetes and also Cinnamon.  Most doctors won't tell you about these things because they push scripts but if you talk with a naturopath they might would or just research it on the internet.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hi Eileen,

AshleyS
                                Participant

Hi friend,

BOO!!!!!!!! (Followed by lots of swear words!)

I feel so badly that I found out about this on here. I'm sorry! I'm continuing to pray for you. 

I hope I don't follow in your footsteps – we've had so much in common. I also have some indescrpancies on my lungs showing up on scans. My doc thought maybe it was mild pneumonitis. However, my cough finally cleared up after 10 weeks so I doubt that theory. I try not to think of it, and that's what I'd like to tell you, but it's so tough. 

So, for now, focus on getting those side effects under control. Best of luck, my friend. I'm sorry you're going through all this. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                  Participant

Hi friend,

I feel so badly that I found out about this on here. I'm sorry! I'm continuing to pray for you. 

I hope I don't follow in your footsteps – we've had so much in common. I also have some indescrpancies on my lungs showing up on scans. My doc thought maybe it was mild pneumonitis. However, my cough finally cleared up after 10 weeks so I doubt that theory. I try not to think of it, and that's what I'd like to tell you, but it's so tough. 

So, for now, focus on getting those side effects under control. Best of luck, my friend. I'm sorry you're going through all this. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                    Participant

Hi friend,

Ashley

RaquelP
                                      Participant

So sorry you are going through this. I am of the belief you are NED until otherwise proven so. There are many reasons for lung nodules. Keep your head up, and have faith!

RaquelP
                                        Participant

So sorry you are going through this. I am of the belief you are NED until otherwise proven so. There are many reasons for lung nodules. Keep your head up, and have faith!

RaquelP
                                          Participant

_Paul_
                                            Participant

Hi Eileen,

Sorry you are experiencing more side effects. I hope you are still NED and that those little nodules are just inflammations. My doctor warned me that one of the things about a PET is that there are false positives.

I also wanted to relate about the treatment induced diabetes. I was a type 2 diabetic before ipi. But as I received treatments it became harder and harder to control my diabetes with diet and oral medication. I finally decided to seek out a doctor specializing in diabetes. It turned out that the ipi caused my immune system to attack my pancreas and turn me into a type 1.

I realize you are on anti-PD1, not ipi, but still its an immunotherapy so it seems like its something to keep an eye out for. At first my onc was dismissive of my increasing blood sugar issues, chalking them up to my pre-existing condition. But once my endocrinologist confirmed I was type 1 from a blood test that looks for specific antibodies indicating an immune system attack of the pancreas, my oncologist came around to accepting that it was an unlisted side effect of immunotherapy. Since then others have had the same issue so hopefully it will get listed as a side effect of ipi, and perhaps nivo and pembro too.

Bottom line is I would seek out an endocrinologist if I were in your shoes.

Wishing you all the best – Paul

_Paul_
                                              Participant

Hi Eileen,

Sorry you are experiencing more side effects. I hope you are still NED and that those little nodules are just inflammations. My doctor warned me that one of the things about a PET is that there are false positives.

I also wanted to relate about the treatment induced diabetes. I was a type 2 diabetic before ipi. But as I received treatments it became harder and harder to control my diabetes with diet and oral medication. I finally decided to seek out a doctor specializing in diabetes. It turned out that the ipi caused my immune system to attack my pancreas and turn me into a type 1.

I realize you are on anti-PD1, not ipi, but still its an immunotherapy so it seems like its something to keep an eye out for. At first my onc was dismissive of my increasing blood sugar issues, chalking them up to my pre-existing condition. But once my endocrinologist confirmed I was type 1 from a blood test that looks for specific antibodies indicating an immune system attack of the pancreas, my oncologist came around to accepting that it was an unlisted side effect of immunotherapy. Since then others have had the same issue so hopefully it will get listed as a side effect of ipi, and perhaps nivo and pembro too.

Eileensulliv
                                                  Participant

Thank you all for your responses! I'm trying my best to watch my carb and sugar intake, and hopefully my glucose will be better on tomorrow's test. I remember they updated the side effects for Opdivo recently, so I checked, and sure enough, diabetes is listed as a side effect. Hopefully it is something that can be easily maintained. I am hoping to speak to my doc tomorrow and come up with a game plan! I really don't want to stop Opdivo, and not sure what my options will be if those nodules do turn out to be mets, and if the diabetes is also a factor in treatment. The waiting is surely the hardest part right now! ๐Ÿ™‚

Eileensulliv
                                                    Participant

Thank you all for your responses! I'm trying my best to watch my carb and sugar intake, and hopefully my glucose will be better on tomorrow's test. I remember they updated the side effects for Opdivo recently, so I checked, and sure enough, diabetes is listed as a side effect. Hopefully it is something that can be easily maintained. I am hoping to speak to my doc tomorrow and come up with a game plan! I really don't want to stop Opdivo, and not sure what my options will be if those nodules do turn out to be mets, and if the diabetes is also a factor in treatment. The waiting is surely the hardest part right now! ๐Ÿ™‚

Eileensulliv
                                                      Participant

_Paul_
                                                      Participant

Hi Eileen,

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics