The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post Op Recovery_Superficial Node Dissection Left Leg

Forums General Melanoma Community Post Op Recovery_Superficial Node Dissection Left Leg

Participant

Hello Everyone,

I recently had a node dissection (with muscle moved) on May 18th and I and looking for feedback on recovery process.

Hello Everyone,

I recently had a node dissection (with muscle moved) on May 18th and I and looking for feedback on recovery process.

I currently have all sutures still in place as well as 2 drains. The drains and sutures are schedules to be removed on June 10th. My drains are still producing between 75-100cc per day. I do not have any lower leg edema at this time but I do have some swelling and tightness in my upper thigh on the lateral portion.  I have no problem walking but the tightness is noticeable and my stride is guarded (by choice) to protect my incision site and sutures.

In your experience…

What is a normal average time for the fluid output to drastically decrease and or stop?

Will the tightness and swelling in my upper thigh decrease over time?

What are some techniques I can do once the drains are removed to assist in moving the fluid?

Thank you,

Allen

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        gabsound
        Participant

Hi Allen,

I had LND in groin as well. I did not have stitches (glue perhaps) and had 2 drains in. One was lower and one higher. One of the drains came out at about 3 weeks. The second came out at 4 weeks although it was still draining about 50cc/day ( I think DR wanted it below 30). At 4 weeks post op I think he was worried about infection if it stayed in longer. I have read on this BB about some who had them longer. Don't be in a rush to have them out.

That tightness in thigh started for me about 2 days after surgery. I wish I could say it's gone, but it;s not. I did go to a lymphedema clinic after about 6 weeks of healing and they taught me about leg. If you have something like that-definitely take advantage. I still get some weird shooting pains across the top of my thigh that I think are related to nerves healing. That was more frequent earlier in my recovery. I went back to work part time after 3 weeks-then full time after 4 weeks ( I am mostly sitting)

The most helpful thing for me though has been compression hose. I wear them during the day and take off at night. That helps a lot along with light massage  to help the fluid move.

Hope that helps,

Julie

awg
            Participant

Julie,

Thank you for the info.

Allen

Stage IIIa

Lisa13
              Participant

I'm 3 months out from my LND and have complete mobility of my leg, except for some numbness around the inner thigh.  I only had 1 drain in and drained 225ccs a day for a couple of weeks. It tapered off, but took a month to come out.  My surgical oncologist said the amount of fluid is normal – especially for the location of the dissection.  I've had no lymphema other than some swelling around my groin area for a couple of days.  The key is to keep moving around and to sit on a 45 degree angle for 2 weeks (prevents lymphedema). You'll recover in no time!

Lisa

awg
                Participant

Thank You Lisa.

Allen

awg
                  Participant

Thank You Lisa.

Allen

Lisa13
                    Participant

I'm 3 months out from my LND and have complete mobility of my leg, except for some numbness around the inner thigh.  I only had 1 drain in and drained 225ccs a day for a couple of weeks. It tapered off, but took a month to come out.  My surgical oncologist said the amount of fluid is normal – especially for the location of the dissection.  I've had no lymphema other than some swelling around my groin area for a couple of days.  The key is to keep moving around and to sit on a 45 degree angle for 2 weeks (prevents lymphedema). You'll recover in no time!

Lisa

awg
                      Participant

Julie,

Thank you for the info.

Allen

Stage IIIa

gabsound
                      Participant

Hi Allen,

I had LND in groin as well. I did not have stitches (glue perhaps) and had 2 drains in. One was lower and one higher. One of the drains came out at about 3 weeks. The second came out at 4 weeks although it was still draining about 50cc/day ( I think DR wanted it below 30). At 4 weeks post op I think he was worried about infection if it stayed in longer. I have read on this BB about some who had them longer. Don't be in a rush to have them out.

That tightness in thigh started for me about 2 days after surgery. I wish I could say it's gone, but it;s not. I did go to a lymphedema clinic after about 6 weeks of healing and they taught me about leg. If you have something like that-definitely take advantage. I still get some weird shooting pains across the top of my thigh that I think are related to nerves healing. That was more frequent earlier in my recovery. I went back to work part time after 3 weeks-then full time after 4 weeks ( I am mostly sitting)

The most helpful thing for me though has been compression hose. I wear them during the day and take off at night. That helps a lot along with light massage  to help the fluid move.

Hope that helps,

Julie

jimjoeb
                        Participant

My procedure is scheduled for June 10. This is helpful advance info for me. I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow where I will receive some info, I hope.

Two questions for you experienced folks:

1) How long were you in the hospital?

2) Did you have home care of any kind or did you look after yourselves with your personal support team?

Rick Bellinger
                            Participant

hi jim,

my wife is taking her 2nd treatment and is on her second week of that. she has had 3 bags of IL2 so far this week. 2 weeks ago she got 10 bags before i told them no more. she was nonresponsive and it scared the hell out of me. she couldnt open her eyes, open her mouth to let them take her temp. couldnt move her arms or legs. i cryed it scared me so bad. after 2 hours she came to but couldn;t hardly talk nd didnt know where she was or who i was. shes 44 years old and im 51 but she thought she was 26 lol.

she was trying to smoke her oxygen sencor thinking it was a ciggerett and tryed to suck on her IV lines thinking it was a straw. she thought the dr was madisgasgar lol, and thought the nurse was her sister-in-law., the first round i had help from my sister-in-law but this time im here by myself. i would advise anyone to have 2 people there with ya to help ya out.

im not trying to scare ya but want you to expect any kind of side effect with your treatments. my wife saw fairys come out of the computer and turn into a butterfly the first week of treatment with interleukin2, and everything was pink and pretty for the first few days after she got home. but this 3rd week of IL2 she saw different things and thought she was 26 years old, saw her brother and his 2 kids sitting by her bed, told the nurse she didnt need to talk to the dr;s because we were gonna have a big shingdig with them later and would talk to them then lol. so be prepaired for anything. and her BP keeps dropping real low also.

im self employed elect/plumber so im fortunate enough to beable to take off as long as i need to be with my wife and help her out so we dont need home health care as of yet. the first treatment of this treatment made 6 tummers completly disapear, and the large one under her arm shrank to the size of a golfball, but after 2 months it grew back even larger so were here again at vanderbuilt doing round 2.

all i can really say is stay as strong as ya can, drink lots of water. i mean lots. as much as you can drink. it will help you recover alot faster and keep you from pealing and dehydrating. also keeps ya from itching too.

good luck and GOD bless, RICK BELLINGER  from Adamsville Tn.

Rick Bellinger
                              Participant

hi jim,

my wife is taking her 2nd treatment and is on her second week of that. she has had 3 bags of IL2 so far this week. 2 weeks ago she got 10 bags before i told them no more. she was nonresponsive and it scared the hell out of me. she couldnt open her eyes, open her mouth to let them take her temp. couldnt move her arms or legs. i cryed it scared me so bad. after 2 hours she came to but couldn;t hardly talk nd didnt know where she was or who i was. shes 44 years old and im 51 but she thought she was 26 lol.

she was trying to smoke her oxygen sencor thinking it was a ciggerett and tryed to suck on her IV lines thinking it was a straw. she thought the dr was madisgasgar lol, and thought the nurse was her sister-in-law., the first round i had help from my sister-in-law but this time im here by myself. i would advise anyone to have 2 people there with ya to help ya out.

im not trying to scare ya but want you to expect any kind of side effect with your treatments. my wife saw fairys come out of the computer and turn into a butterfly the first week of treatment with interleukin2, and everything was pink and pretty for the first few days after she got home. but this 3rd week of IL2 she saw different things and thought she was 26 years old, saw her brother and his 2 kids sitting by her bed, told the nurse she didnt need to talk to the dr;s because we were gonna have a big shingdig with them later and would talk to them then lol. so be prepaired for anything. and her BP keeps dropping real low also.

im self employed elect/plumber so im fortunate enough to beable to take off as long as i need to be with my wife and help her out so we dont need home health care as of yet. the first treatment of this treatment made 6 tummers completly disapear, and the large one under her arm shrank to the size of a golfball, but after 2 months it grew back even larger so were here again at vanderbuilt doing round 2.

all i can really say is stay as strong as ya can, drink lots of water. i mean lots. as much as you can drink. it will help you recover alot faster and keep you from pealing and dehydrating. also keeps ya from itching too.

good luck and GOD bless, RICK BELLINGER  from Adamsville Tn.

awg
                                Participant

I was in the Hospital 2 full days. I was up walking the day after the operation with very minimal discomfort. My upper thigh was tight, not really painful just a completely new and different feeling. No pain meds needed but I think I was lucky on that one.

I came home with my wife and spent several days in a recliner but was able to move on my own as needed. Getting in a supine position at first was slow but got better each day. Looking back I wish I had moved a little more than I did in my first 3-4 days at home.  I was taught how  I

I was taught how to empty my drains, measure and record the amount of output. I will offer this advice, be sure to "milk" your drain line several times a day to prevent clotting in the lines. You will notice them doing this in the hospital during your stay. Be aggressive with this process to keep you drain working at its best.

I have numbness on the upper part of my thigh, again a new and very odd feeling but I am adjusting to it each day and it is less noticeable.

I wish you the best with your operation.

Allen

awg
                                  Participant

I was in the Hospital 2 full days. I was up walking the day after the operation with very minimal discomfort. My upper thigh was tight, not really painful just a completely new and different feeling. No pain meds needed but I think I was lucky on that one.

I came home with my wife and spent several days in a recliner but was able to move on my own as needed. Getting in a supine position at first was slow but got better each day. Looking back I wish I had moved a little more than I did in my first 3-4 days at home.  I was taught how  I

I was taught how to empty my drains, measure and record the amount of output. I will offer this advice, be sure to "milk" your drain line several times a day to prevent clotting in the lines. You will notice them doing this in the hospital during your stay. Be aggressive with this process to keep you drain working at its best.

I have numbness on the upper part of my thigh, again a new and very odd feeling but I am adjusting to it each day and it is less noticeable.

I wish you the best with your operation.

Allen

jimjoeb
                                  Participant

My procedure is scheduled for June 10. This is helpful advance info for me. I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow where I will receive some info, I hope.

Two questions for you experienced folks:

1) How long were you in the hospital?

2) Did you have home care of any kind or did you look after yourselves with your personal support team?

awg
                                    Participant

As a side question I would like to ask about incisions and suture removal if the incision (groin dissection) still has a section that is not completely closed. I am somewhat nervous about having all my sutures removed at 3 weeks if the site is still healing. I do not want to have the incision reopen.

I know the location of the incision make it a difficult area to heal but hearing from other who have gone through this give me some comfort.

Has anyone else had a incision healing process like this?

Thanks,

Allen

awg
                                      Participant

As a side question I would like to ask about incisions and suture removal if the incision (groin dissection) still has a section that is not completely closed. I am somewhat nervous about having all my sutures removed at 3 weeks if the site is still healing. I do not want to have the incision reopen.

I know the location of the incision make it a difficult area to heal but hearing from other who have gone through this give me some comfort.

Has anyone else had a incision healing process like this?

Thanks,

Allen

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics