The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible brain met – need some perspective

Forums General Melanoma Community Possible brain met – need some perspective

Participant

Hi all, as much as I am thankful for you all being here, I sure wish I was NOT visiting tonight (and I know you all understand that!)  So here is the short, condensed story:

4/08 Dx Stage III on left foot, mets to left inguinals and surrounding tissue, removed via surgery 5/08.

Clear scans until 4/10 when nodules in lungs caught on PET/CT (6mm left/8mm right lung), monitored with scans for almost a year, then right nodule removed 2/11 (2.1 cm) and left nodule removed 4/11 (.9 cm)  

Hi all, as much as I am thankful for you all being here, I sure wish I was NOT visiting tonight (and I know you all understand that!)  So here is the short, condensed story:

4/08 Dx Stage III on left foot, mets to left inguinals and surrounding tissue, removed via surgery 5/08.

Clear scans until 4/10 when nodules in lungs caught on PET/CT (6mm left/8mm right lung), monitored with scans for almost a year, then right nodule removed 2/11 (2.1 cm) and left nodule removed 4/11 (.9 cm)  

PET/CT of 4/11 (post-op) showed all clear except signs of surgery.  PET scan of June 2011, still clear.  Brain MRI of 4/08 and 1/11 both were clear of any abnormalities.

Today, 9/12/11, I had a PET/CT and for the first time, had no contrast with the CT (long story).  I wasn't home 15 minutes and my oncologist called to tell me there was a 1.6 cm lesion in the right frontal lobe of my brain.  It showed no abnormal fdg uptake.  I don't know if having no contrast on the CT made any difference on the next step but she wanted me to get a brain MRI asap.  So that is in the works for this week hopefully.  Otherwise, everything is clear.

So, my question for those with brain mets is do they ever show up with no abnormal fdg uptake?                                    Can they appear so quickly (in just 3 months) and be to this size already? (My lung nodules were very slow growing) If I had had contrast with CT scan, could it have given any more definitive info (such as it being a vascular issue and lack of contrast would not show the vascular system)?

My husband reminded me that I hit my head pretty hard about 3 weeks ago getting something out of his car.  We are pretty sure it was on the right side and it was bad enough, I felt like I was going to pass out.  From what I read online tonight, head injuries are the most common cause of brain lesions in the frontal lobe.  So I am hopeful.

Any info, suggestions, questions to ask, etc. are welcome.  I just know that there will be people on here that have been down this road.  Thank you for taking the time to read this (and answer if you are able).

Blessings,

Shari (used to be Shari in Cal screen name but changed it because my teen son accidentally came across my posts while doing research on his computer.  So it is still me, just a new screen name to protect my identity a little and my son's concerns).

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Shari, I agree that a brain MRI is a good idea as your oncologist has advised. No fdg
          uptake will probably indicate a benign lesion, such as an injury. For more info on this
          see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron_emission_tomography#Oncology

Obviously, CT with a contrast will give a lot more detail when the scan results are
          looked at.

New areas of melanoma can appear quickly if the tumour burden is high. However, things can
          also remain stable for a long time in some people.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Shari, I agree that a brain MRI is a good idea as your oncologist has advised. No fdg
            uptake will probably indicate a benign lesion, such as an injury. For more info on this
            see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron_emission_tomography#Oncology

Obviously, CT with a contrast will give a lot more detail when the scan results are
            looked at.

New areas of melanoma can appear quickly if the tumour burden is high. However, things can
            also remain stable for a long time in some people.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

Shari, MRI's are the main thng used for brain checks.  I am not sure how muh difference the contrast would make in the brain because there is so much blood arlready in the brain.  I havaen't heard just what my brain looked like in the check Denver NICU did after my accident last year.  I hope to visit that NICU shortly and see if I can get some records.Figure my brain should look rather weird (my family thought so before the horse!)  Hopefully yours is just a badly bruised area with some blood collected.  .

Still say mel maakes us hope we havea thngs we never wanted otherwise!  Good  luck, Gal.

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Shari, MRI's are the main thng used for brain checks.  I am not sure how muh difference the contrast would make in the brain because there is so much blood arlready in the brain.  I havaen't heard just what my brain looked like in the check Denver NICU did after my accident last year.  I hope to visit that NICU shortly and see if I can get some records.Figure my brain should look rather weird (my family thought so before the horse!)  Hopefully yours is just a badly bruised area with some blood collected.  .

Still say mel maakes us hope we havea thngs we never wanted otherwise!  Good  luck, Gal.

MRFUser2011
                Participant

Thanks for the info.  I am posting an update soon.

EmilyandMike
                    Participant

Oh no Shari! I am so sorry you are dealing with this.  Please let me know what is happening when you find out.  Thinking of you.

Emily

EmilyandMike
                      Participant

Oh no Shari! I am so sorry you are dealing with this.  Please let me know what is happening when you find out.  Thinking of you.

Emily

MRFUser2011
                      Participant

Thanks for the info.  I am posting an update soon.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics