The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PHP

Participant

I am at a choice point, and am considering having PHP.  I would very much appreciate it if any of you who have had this procedure would share with me:

Where you had it, what you thought of the facility, the doc, the team.

What was your experience–pain, discmfort, how long to recover

Outcome–how long your liver mets remained stable, reduced, grew

Thanks so much

Esther

I am at a choice point, and am considering having PHP.  I would very much appreciate it if any of you who have had this procedure would share with me:

Where you had it, what you thought of the facility, the doc, the team.

What was your experience–pain, discmfort, how long to recover

Outcome–how long your liver mets remained stable, reduced, grew

Thanks so much

Esther

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        margaretrogers57
        Participant

Hey Esther,

I did some research on PHP and couldn't find anywhere in the us that is doing that at present.  Did you find somewhere.  Might be interested myself for Butch.  Sounds promising.  Right now we're investigating PD-1 a will  decide soon.  I feel like we're losing the battle right now.  Good luck to you, Margaret

edamaser
            Participant

Margaret,

Dr. Pingpank at Pittsburgh is doing it.  I just learned that they have the system at Ohio State University.  I'm certain there are other places (is Dr. Alexander still doing it in MD?).  Look on the Delcath site to see if you can find a list of places that bought/have the Delcath machine that is used in PHP.

Interestingly, I have not received a single response to my request for a contact from someone who has had PHP.  Has no one with OM had this procedure?

Everything seems such a crap shoot.

Good luck to you and Butch,

Esther

margaretrogers57
              Participant

Thanks, Esther,  I did research delcath machine but couldn't get anywhere with it.  Do you know if Moffitt does it?  Margaret

margaretrogers57
                Participant

Thanks, Esther,  I did research delcath machine but couldn't get anywhere with it.  Do you know if Moffitt does it?  Margaret

margaretrogers57
                  Participant

margaretrogers57
                    Participant

margaretrogers57
                      Participant

margaretrogers57
                        Participant

edamaser
                          Participant

I'm pretty sure they do (Moffitt).  You can ask Dr. Weber when you see him.

Esther

edamaser
                            Participant

Esther

edamaser
                              Participant

Esther

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                Participant

Two of us posted your request on Ocu-Mel.  I didn't see any responses either.  I know there is a guy on the list (a physician himself, I think), who had three rounds of PHP with Pingpank.  He hasn't posted lately.   Pingpank seems to be going around the country to help establish IHP at other sites.  Perhaps PHP will follow a similar course.  I'd just contanct Pittsburgh and see what they say about alternate locations.

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                  Participant

Two of us posted your request on Ocu-Mel.  I didn't see any responses either.  I know there is a guy on the list (a physician himself, I think), who had three rounds of PHP with Pingpank.  He hasn't posted lately.   Pingpank seems to be going around the country to help establish IHP at other sites.  Perhaps PHP will follow a similar course.  I'd just contanct Pittsburgh and see what they say about alternate locations.

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                    Participant

–Tom

cpopp
                                      Participant

This article seems to indicate that chemoembolization is just as effective, safer, and less expensive.  Is chemoebolization not an option for you?

Connie

http://www.clinicaloncology.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Solid+Tumors&d_id=148&i=January+2012&i_id=808&a_id=20060

cpopp
                                        Participant

This article seems to indicate that chemoembolization is just as effective, safer, and less expensive.  Is chemoebolization not an option for you?

Connie

http://www.clinicaloncology.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Solid+Tumors&d_id=148&i=January+2012&i_id=808&a_id=20060

cpopp
                                          Participant

Connie

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                            Participant

The article does not seem to take into account the new Stage II filter Delcath just released this spring.  It removes more than 90% of the melphalan, thus lowering systemic toxicity.   I'd check with Pingpank on that one.  Having had IHP, I can see why the article mentioned that this might be better suited to younger patients.  I was 46 at the time and in ok shape, had IHP really kicked my ass.

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                              Participant

The article does not seem to take into account the new Stage II filter Delcath just released this spring.  It removes more than 90% of the melphalan, thus lowering systemic toxicity.   I'd check with Pingpank on that one.  Having had IHP, I can see why the article mentioned that this might be better suited to younger patients.  I was 46 at the time and in ok shape, had IHP really kicked my ass.

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                Participant

–Tom

edamaser
                                                  Participant

Margaret,

Dr. Pingpank at Pittsburgh is doing it.  I just learned that they have the system at Ohio State University.  I'm certain there are other places (is Dr. Alexander still doing it in MD?).  Look on the Delcath site to see if you can find a list of places that bought/have the Delcath machine that is used in PHP.

Interestingly, I have not received a single response to my request for a contact from someone who has had PHP.  Has no one with OM had this procedure?

Esther

edamaser
                                                    Participant

Margaret,

Esther

margaretrogers57
                                                    Participant

Hey Esther,

I did some research on PHP and couldn't find anywhere in the us that is doing that at present.  Did you find somewhere.  Might be interested myself for Butch.  Sounds promising.  Right now we're investigating PD-1 a will  decide soon.  I feel like we're losing the battle right now.  Good luck to you, Margaret

margaretrogers57
                                                      Participant

Hey Esther,

edamaser
                                                        Participant

Hi All,

Well I found out that PHP is not readily available.  Apparently it has not yet been approved by the FDA, and Delcath has removed its application for approval (don't know why).  The only source for it is Dr. Pingpank in Pittsburgh who has a special dispensation for compassionate use.

One person with OM who has had it, was kind enough to describe in depth his experiences.  It was not easy for him.  He had 3 rounds of it. 

I met with a liver surgeon who was able to clarify for me just how "bad" my liver really is.  The verdict is "not that bad."  Many of my liver lesions are stable, some are shrinking, and only a few are growing.  Even though one of the growing ones is pretty big now (6.1 cm), he explained to me that it is not growing into anything that would compromise the functioning of the liver (e.g. a major blood vessle, or the bile duct).  The liver is hugely redundant–we have far more liver tissue than we need to get along, thus no need for me to panic about some growth.  My LFTs are quite good, indicating that my liver is, at the moment doing just fine.

As a result, and with a better understanding of the PHP procedure, I have decided against it, at least at this time.  I plan to have immuno-embos, followed by another round of ipi (if the insurance gods will allow).

I am so relieved just to have decided on a plan.

I wish all of you relief from anxiety, and good scan results.

Esther

edamaser
                                                          Participant

Hi All,

Well I found out that PHP is not readily available.  Apparently it has not yet been approved by the FDA, and Delcath has removed its application for approval (don't know why).  The only source for it is Dr. Pingpank in Pittsburgh who has a special dispensation for compassionate use.

One person with OM who has had it, was kind enough to describe in depth his experiences.  It was not easy for him.  He had 3 rounds of it. 

I met with a liver surgeon who was able to clarify for me just how "bad" my liver really is.  The verdict is "not that bad."  Many of my liver lesions are stable, some are shrinking, and only a few are growing.  Even though one of the growing ones is pretty big now (6.1 cm), he explained to me that it is not growing into anything that would compromise the functioning of the liver (e.g. a major blood vessle, or the bile duct).  The liver is hugely redundant–we have far more liver tissue than we need to get along, thus no need for me to panic about some growth.  My LFTs are quite good, indicating that my liver is, at the moment doing just fine.

As a result, and with a better understanding of the PHP procedure, I have decided against it, at least at this time.  I plan to have immuno-embos, followed by another round of ipi (if the insurance gods will allow).

Esther

edamaser
                                                            Participant

Hi All,

Esther

tommonoli
                                                                Participant

Wishing you well with it Esther, it is good to have a direction and plan.

tommonoli
                                                                  Participant

tommonoli
                                                                    Participant

Dennis
                                                                      Participant

Hi Esther,

I just wanted to let you know how glad I am to hear that your liver is in pretty good condition and you have a plan!

Wishing you the best,

-Dennis in CA

Dennis
                                                                        Participant

Hi Esther,

I just wanted to let you know how glad I am to hear that your liver is in pretty good condition and you have a plan!

Wishing you the best,

-Dennis in CA

Dennis
                                                                          Participant

Hi Esther,

Wishing you the best,

-Dennis in CA

cgranger
                                                                            Participant

Hi Esther,

"Not so bad" and stable sounds pretty good.

Thinking of you, Carol

BTW, re the PHP: I'm sure you remember Bill Darker – he had a pretty rough time of it with 2 or 3 of those treatments.  And I'm pretty sure Delcath pulled it off the mkt for quite a while.  Good luck with your other plan…

cgranger
                                                                              Participant

Hi Esther,

Thinking of you, Carol

BTW, re the PHP: I'm sure you remember Bill Darker – he had a pretty rough time of it with 2 or 3 of those treatments.  And I'm pretty sure Delcath pulled it off the mkt for quite a while.  Good luck with your other plan…

cgranger
                                                                                Participant

Hi Esther,

Thinking of you, Carol

edamaser
                                                                                Participant

Thanks Dennis & others,

One of my docs just told me that Delcath has (re)submitted its machine/procedure to the FDA, and that approval is expected soon.  If this is true, and it really happens, then PHP will probably be available in a lot of places.  There are so many more options for us now than there were when I first started to drag myself down this road.

Esther

edamaser
                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Dennis & others,

One of my docs just told me that Delcath has (re)submitted its machine/procedure to the FDA, and that approval is expected soon.  If this is true, and it really happens, then PHP will probably be available in a lot of places.  There are so many more options for us now than there were when I first started to drag myself down this road.

Esther

edamaser
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Dennis & others,

Esther

tommonoli
                                                                                        Participant

๐Ÿ™‚  for you Esther.

Richard

tommonoli
                                                                                          Participant

๐Ÿ™‚  for you Esther.

Richard

lukecruz
                                                                                            Participant

It would be Nice if you provide some more information about PHP.

learn English

lukecruz
                                                                                              Participant

learn English

lukecruz
                                                                                                Participant

learn English

tommonoli
                                                                                                  Participant

๐Ÿ™‚  for you Esther.

Richard

lak
                                                                                                  Participant

I have known 2 people who had PHP in Southampton England. The same interventionist who did my SIRT is doing it.

One compared it to other treatments and said it was harder than SIRT ( I would say that about ablation too) . The other patient was having their first treatment.

Dr Stedman is the radiologist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20270400

i will ask if one or both will post here.

Lesley

lak
                                                                                                      Participant

Dr Nutting has just posted on Ocumel that he too is now doing PHP on compassionate use prior to FDA aproval.

Of Sky ridge medical center Co.

Lesley

lak
                                                                                                        Participant

Dr Nutting has just posted on Ocumel that he too is now doing PHP on compassionate use prior to FDA aproval.

Lesley

lak
                                                                                                          Participant

Lesley

lak
                                                                                                          Participant

I have known 2 people who had PHP in Southampton England. The same interventionist who did my SIRT is doing it.

One compared it to other treatments and said it was harder than SIRT ( I would say that about ablation too) . The other patient was having their first treatment.

Lesley

lak
                                                                                                            Participant

Lesley

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics