The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET scan results GSK combo

Forums General Melanoma Community PET scan results GSK combo

Participant

Just want to share my good news!

I hope to lift the spirits of some fellow melanoma warriors by informing you that my 3 month scan results after being on GSK Braf/Mek combo showed all tumours have gone & there are no  new sites of disease! I had my dabrafenib dosage reduced to 200 mg a day after unpleasant side-effects around the 6- 8 week mark.

I am feeling really well at the moment & doing all the things I used to do before beginning treatment. The only side- effect at the moment is mild joint pain in ankles & tightness in calf muscles during exercise- all very bearable! Hopefully this will give encouragement to anyone else starting this treatment- My oncology pharmacist informs me that they hope having melanoma will become like having a chronic disease where it is managed in the same way as ,for example , diabetes is. There are so many new treatments on the horizon so hang in there everyone!

best wishes to all

Lyn

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Outstanding Lyn!  Thanks for sharing.  Enjoy your NED status.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

Harry in Fair Oaks
              Participant

Fabulous!  I have been on this drug combo for 2-1/2 years as part of the GSK clinical trial, and it's still keeping things at bay.  I hope your experience will be similar to mine.  I also had joint pains at the beginning, also fevers and chills/shakes.  The side-effects diminished with time. 

One question:  You say the Dabrafenib was cut to 200 mg.  What was it originally?  I have been on 150mg/day since the beginning, together with 2 mg/day of the MEK.  My understanding is that what I am getting are the max amounts administered under the clinical trial protocol for the combo, so it's hard for me to understand why you are being prescribed at a dosage higher than was tested (for the combo).

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                Participant

Fabulous!  I have been on this drug combo for 2-1/2 years as part of the GSK clinical trial, and it's still keeping things at bay.  I hope your experience will be similar to mine.  I also had joint pains at the beginning, also fevers and chills/shakes.  The side-effects diminished with time. 

One question:  You say the Dabrafenib was cut to 200 mg.  What was it originally?  I have been on 150mg/day since the beginning, together with 2 mg/day of the MEK.  My understanding is that what I am getting are the max amounts administered under the clinical trial protocol for the combo, so it's hard for me to understand why you are being prescribed at a dosage higher than was tested (for the combo).

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                    Participant

OOPS! (never mind).  I just turned 60 and I guess my mind fog is accelarating.  I am taking a total of 300mg/day (150mg twice a day).  So were you reduced to 200 from 300?

Harry in Fair Oaks
                      Participant

OOPS! (never mind).  I just turned 60 and I guess my mind fog is accelarating.  I am taking a total of 300mg/day (150mg twice a day).  So were you reduced to 200 from 300?

Aussielyn
                        Participant

Yes, Harry , that's right. I lasted on 150mg twice a day for a little over 6 weeks then the temperatures, dehydration & foot & leg  pain kicked in- so after a break off meds we tried the lesser dose of dabrafenib & so far so good. I'm now taking 50 mg tabs instead of 75 mg tabs & being weaned off low dosage of prednisone. My oncologist says the reduced dose shouldn't affect the efficacy of the treatment – I hope she's right on that score! How often do you have scans? I'm not on a trial – have compassionate access so probably won't be scanned as frequently as trial patients. 

It's so great to know you're still going so well – keep it up & be an inspiration to us all! 

I fully understand the mind lapse -I have them too & won't turn 60 till next year!

regards, Lyn

Aussielyn
                          Participant

Yes, Harry , that's right. I lasted on 150mg twice a day for a little over 6 weeks then the temperatures, dehydration & foot & leg  pain kicked in- so after a break off meds we tried the lesser dose of dabrafenib & so far so good. I'm now taking 50 mg tabs instead of 75 mg tabs & being weaned off low dosage of prednisone. My oncologist says the reduced dose shouldn't affect the efficacy of the treatment – I hope she's right on that score! How often do you have scans? I'm not on a trial – have compassionate access so probably won't be scanned as frequently as trial patients. 

It's so great to know you're still going so well – keep it up & be an inspiration to us all! 

I fully understand the mind lapse -I have them too & won't turn 60 till next year!

regards, Lyn

Harry in Fair Oaks
                            Participant

I get scanned every 12 weeks now.  At the beginning of the trial, the scans were every 8 weeks, but after the 2-year mark GSK gratefully relaxed this.  In addition to the CT/MRI scans, I also get ECHO cardiograms.  And every 8 weeks I have a dermatologist exam.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                              Participant

I get scanned every 12 weeks now.  At the beginning of the trial, the scans were every 8 weeks, but after the 2-year mark GSK gratefully relaxed this.  In addition to the CT/MRI scans, I also get ECHO cardiograms.  And every 8 weeks I have a dermatologist exam.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                Participant

Best regards,

Harry

Aussielyn
                                  Participant

regards, Lyn

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                    Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Mat
                                      Participant

Lyn, I'm so glad to hear your news.  These are miracle drugs.  I'm in my 4th month–also getting great results.  There is a conference this week in Philadelphia.  The agenda suggests that GSK will be reporting updated data from one of its trials.

Mat
                                        Participant

Lyn, I'm so glad to hear your news.  These are miracle drugs.  I'm in my 4th month–also getting great results.  There is a conference this week in Philadelphia.  The agenda suggests that GSK will be reporting updated data from one of its trials.

Mat
                                          Participant

Maureen038
                                              Participant

Excellent news Lyn!! You give hope to many stage 4 warriors!! 

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                Participant

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                  Participant

Maureen

Aussielyn
                                                    Participant

Thanks guys for your input. 

It will be really good to hear what GSK has to say about their melanoma drugs – we are so lucky to have access to them. 

Mat , you must have started around the same time I did. –  beginning of august – it must be good having close contact with people on the same drugs – I feel like I'm on my own here – it's a coastal paradise but a long way from Sydney where there would be a support group . I don't know of anyone else on melanoma treatment let alone the Dabrafenib / Mek combo . I'm a real guinea pig up here ! I would love if either of you , Harry  & mat, have anything to share about your experiences with our GSK treatment to let me know  . Many thanks

Best wishes,

Lyn

Aussielyn
                                                      Participant

It will be really good to hear what GSK has to say about their melanoma drugs – we are so lucky to have access to them. 

Mat , you must have started around the same time I did. –  beginning of august – it must be good having close contact with people on the same drugs – I feel like I'm on my own here – it's a coastal paradise but a long way from Sydney where there would be a support group . I don't know of anyone else on melanoma treatment let alone the Dabrafenib / Mek combo . I'm a real guinea pig up here ! I would love if either of you , Harry  & mat, have anything to share about your experiences with our GSK treatment to let me know  . Many thanks

Best wishes,

Lyn

Aussielyn
                                                        Participant

Best wishes,

Lyn

Aussielyn
                                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Lyn

Aussielyn
                                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Lyn

Mat
                                                              Participant

Lyn, yes, I started on August 2nd.  I had great results at my 8 week scans (50-70% reduction in tumor size with some lung nodules resolving).  I started with a heavy and aggressive tumor burden, particularly in my liver.  I'll report when I have my 16 week scans within the next few weeks.  Thankfully, not much else to report–I've had minimal side effects from the outset.

Mat
                                                                Participant

Lyn, yes, I started on August 2nd.  I had great results at my 8 week scans (50-70% reduction in tumor size with some lung nodules resolving).  I started with a heavy and aggressive tumor burden, particularly in my liver.  I'll report when I have my 16 week scans within the next few weeks.  Thankfully, not much else to report–I've had minimal side effects from the outset.

lilecare
                                                                  Participant

I'm new to this website, but we have been offered the combo for my husband's stage IV. We have been doing Cannabis Oil and the MRI showed three tumor gone and the rest have shrunk, just trying to make a decision on whether we should continue with the C.O. or try the combo with the C.O. or just do the combo? 

Any advise would be wonderful…

Thanks!

Lisa

lilecare
                                                                    Participant

I'm new to this website, but we have been offered the combo for my husband's stage IV. We have been doing Cannabis Oil and the MRI showed three tumor gone and the rest have shrunk, just trying to make a decision on whether we should continue with the C.O. or try the combo with the C.O. or just do the combo? 

Thanks!

Lisa

lilecare
                                                                      Participant

Thanks!

Lisa

Mat
                                                                        Participant

Aussielyn
                                                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Lyn

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics