The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET Confirms… Now Stage IV

Forums General Melanoma Community PET Confirms… Now Stage IV

Participant

Well, I had my PET scan this morning as a follow up to a CT right before Christmas that indicated a mass in my bowels. PET scan confirms that the mass is indeed cancer which makes me stage IV – "small bowel metastatic melanoma" per my oncologist. At least I was mentally prepared to hear this.

The good news, if there is any, is that the spread was very localized… just a single bright spot in the small bowel (it did seem pretty large to me though). Nothing else lit up on the scan.

Next step is surgery on February 4. At least I can enjoy normal food and some good adult beverages during the Superbowl :). The surgery will be a pain, but I am confident I will bounce back quickly. After surgery, I will definitely getting involved in some adjuvant therapy… which one I still need to decide. At least there seem to be a few good options for us now. 

Kevin

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry, Kevin. I know you were wishing for a very different result.  But, I agree.  You seem to be well prepared to deal with what you must and have several viable treatement options out there. Hang in there and enjoy the Superbowl!!!  Best of luck on the 4th. C

Bubbles
          Participant

Sorry, Kevin. I know you were wishing for a very different result.  But, I agree.  You seem to be well prepared to deal with what you must and have several viable treatement options out there. Hang in there and enjoy the Superbowl!!!  Best of luck on the 4th. C

Bubbles
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Sorry about the news Kevin.  I had about a foot of my small intestines taken out in May.  I was dreading the surgery but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be and I have no after effects.  Feel free to message me if you like.  It sounds like you have a surgeon lined up but I will say if you have any doubts Dr. Tyler at Duke is outstanding.

Brian

mwcollins
                  Participant
                    Knowing all the treatment options out there now, I know that we will get through it, Kevin! As we said about the big test that you couldn’t prepare for, we got a solid ‘C’. Yes it’s back, yes that puts us in a different place, but with all the different treatments out there, there is bound to be something that will work for you & keep you around for many years to come.
                    mwcollins
                    Participant
                      Knowing all the treatment options out there now, I know that we will get through it, Kevin! As we said about the big test that you couldn’t prepare for, we got a solid ‘C’. Yes it’s back, yes that puts us in a different place, but with all the different treatments out there, there is bound to be something that will work for you & keep you around for many years to come.
                      POW
                      Participant

That's the spirit, Megan! Yes, the recurrence is a downer. But somehow the uncertainty is harder to take than the certainty. Now that you know what you and Kevin are dealing with, you will do your research, get your ducks in a row, and kick melanoma's ass! As you say, you both have many more years to come. 

POW
                        Participant

That's the spirit, Megan! Yes, the recurrence is a downer. But somehow the uncertainty is harder to take than the certainty. Now that you know what you and Kevin are dealing with, you will do your research, get your ducks in a row, and kick melanoma's ass! As you say, you both have many more years to come. 

POW
                          Participant

mwcollins
                            Participant
                            BrianP
                            Participant

Sorry about the news Kevin.  I had about a foot of my small intestines taken out in May.  I was dreading the surgery but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be and I have no after effects.  Feel free to message me if you like.  It sounds like you have a surgeon lined up but I will say if you have any doubts Dr. Tyler at Duke is outstanding.

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Brian

hbecker
                                Participant

Kevin, sorry to hear your news. Will be thinking of you Feb. 4 and sending healing vibes your way.

hbecker
                                  Participant

Kevin, sorry to hear your news. Will be thinking of you Feb. 4 and sending healing vibes your way.

hbecker
                                    Participant

POW
                                      Participant

Oh, darn! Not the news you hoped to hear. But your PMA sounds strong and your wife is in the foxhole with you. You'll be OK.

I'm glad that the lesion is small and can be surgically removed. Excellent! Go ahead and enjoy the Superbowl (who wants to watch the Superbowl if the '49ers aren't playing? Stupid officials!) and then go get that wayward tumor yanked out. Take THAT, Mr. Melanoma!!

POW
                                        Participant

Oh, darn! Not the news you hoped to hear. But your PMA sounds strong and your wife is in the foxhole with you. You'll be OK.

I'm glad that the lesion is small and can be surgically removed. Excellent! Go ahead and enjoy the Superbowl (who wants to watch the Superbowl if the '49ers aren't playing? Stupid officials!) and then go get that wayward tumor yanked out. Take THAT, Mr. Melanoma!!

Maureen038
                                            Participant

I'm sorry Kevin about your news, but I'm glad it can be surgically removed. Please keep us updated and I will keep you and your wife in my prayers.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                              Participant

I'm sorry Kevin about your news, but I'm glad it can be surgically removed. Please keep us updated and I will keep you and your wife in my prayers.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                Participant

Maureen

POW
                                                Participant

Tina D
                                                  Participant

well, crud. Wish that was not the case. It is good news that there is an isolated met, like you said.There are others on the board who have had similar surgeries and done very well, as I'm sure you will!

Hopefully you are cheering for Denver cool

Tina

Tina D
                                                    Participant

well, crud. Wish that was not the case. It is good news that there is an isolated met, like you said.There are others on the board who have had similar surgeries and done very well, as I'm sure you will!

Tina

kpcollins31
                                                        Participant

Yes I will be cheering for Denver :). I am not a Denver fan per se, but I have tremendous respect for Peyton Manning so I am hoping he gets that ring.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                          Participant

Yes I will be cheering for Denver :). I am not a Denver fan per se, but I have tremendous respect for Peyton Manning so I am hoping he gets that ring.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                            Participant

Kevin

Tina D
                                                              Participant

Yes, yes… me, too. We are in Indiana and have grown to just really like and respect Peyton Manning! I am a Fins fan first, and like the Colts… but cheer for Denver because of Manning ๐Ÿ™‚  

Tina

tschmith
                                                                Participant

Sorry to hear this news, Kevin but glad it can be surgically removed and that nothing else has shown up.  Stay strong!  We can beat this!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                  Participant

Sorry to hear this news, Kevin but glad it can be surgically removed and that nothing else has shown up.  Stay strong!  We can beat this!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                    Participant

Good wishes times 2!!!!  smiley

tschmith
                                                                      Participant

tschmith
                                                                        Participant

tschmith
                                                                          Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                            Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                              Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                Participant

Terrie

Tina D
                                                                                  Participant

Yes, yes… me, too. We are in Indiana and have grown to just really like and respect Peyton Manning! I am a Fins fan first, and like the Colts… but cheer for Denver because of Manning ๐Ÿ™‚  

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                    Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                    Participant

Tina

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics