The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Patient Needs Help – Liver Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Patient Needs Help – Liver Mets

Participant

Hi all,

I has been some time since I have posted on this website that was so helpful in supporting me through my last round of this disease.  I have since been up to my elbows working to get our Canadian organization off the ground.  I would say we have made great progress http://www.melanomanetwork.ca

Hi all,

I has been some time since I have posted on this website that was so helpful in supporting me through my last round of this disease.  I have since been up to my elbows working to get our Canadian organization off the ground.  I would say we have made great progress http://www.melanomanetwork.ca

There is a patient who is looking for help.  She is in her 40's, has spread of the disease widely with high concentration in the liver.  Was wondering what any of you might suggest for clinical trials that have been effective on liver mets.  Is anyone still doing hepatic infusion with any success?  Have any of you had successful treatment or regression in the liver?  I believe she has failed Zelboraf (vemurafenib) and is starting Yervoy tomorrow – but Yervoy may be too slow to respond in light of her rapid progression.  Any thoughts are very welcome.  Wishing you all a bright tomorrow.

Annette IIIB

Melanoma Network of Canada

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

I have heard adoptive cell therapy has shown promise with liver mets…

also surgery http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11485537

and also liver profusion

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110923194730.htm

LynnLuc
          Participant

and also liver profusion

acyr
              Participant

Thanks so much Lynn.  I know they had some trials by Delcath a couple of years ago and it seemed patients were having some good responses, but don't know if the results are out there yet or if the drug has been submitted to FDA for approval.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome those too!  Thanks again Lynn.  I will pass this on.

acyr
                Participant

Thanks so much Lynn.  I know they had some trials by Delcath a couple of years ago and it seemed patients were having some good responses, but don't know if the results are out there yet or if the drug has been submitted to FDA for approval.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome those too!  Thanks again Lynn.  I will pass this on.

acyr
                  Participant

LynnLuc
                  Participant

and also liver profusion

Gene_S
                    Participant

Annette, Will she be on a clinical trial or the now standard ippi treatment?

Best wishes,

Gene

acyr
                        Participant

Hi Gene,

She is starting Ipi, but both her and husband are worried because of the tumour load that it may be too slow to act.  They were hoping there would be a clinical trial in the US or Canada that would control or irradicate the tumours in her liver, which are a big concern at the moment.  Any thoughts?

Annette IIIB

MNC

acyr
                          Participant

Hi Gene,

She is starting Ipi, but both her and husband are worried because of the tumour load that it may be too slow to act.  They were hoping there would be a clinical trial in the US or Canada that would control or irradicate the tumours in her liver, which are a big concern at the moment.  Any thoughts?

Annette IIIB

MNC

acyr
                            Participant

Hi Gene,

Annette IIIB

MNC

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hi Annette,

The following article was recently posted by Jimmy B under a different thread, it may be of some help to you

Released: 4/27/2012 1:00 PM EDT
                                Source: Moffitt Cancer Center

Newswise — TAMPA, Fla. (April 27, 2012) – At Moffitt Cancer Center, patients with stage III and IV unrespectable melanoma are now routinely genetically profiled for several gene mutations, including the BRAF gene, a known driver oncogene for melanoma. Research has shown that mutations in the BRAF gene determine sensitivity or resistance to a class of drugs that are BRAF inhibitors.

Moffitt Cancer Center Researchers Working at Frontiers of Melanoma Research  

——————————————————————————————

Possibly  Vemurafenib would be a better first choice since I believe that it works faster than ippi?

Hopefully others will add to this thread. If you are considering any other treatments outside the USA

my first choice would be to contact Ralph Moss. Do a search on "Ralph Moss and melanoma".

I would also suggest that she be tested for a vitamin D-3 deficiency.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                Participant

Hi Annette,

The following article was recently posted by Jimmy B under a different thread, it may be of some help to you

Newswise — TAMPA, Fla. (April 27, 2012) – At Moffitt Cancer Center, patients with stage III and IV unrespectable melanoma are now routinely genetically profiled for several gene mutations, including the BRAF gene, a known driver oncogene for melanoma. Research has shown that mutations in the BRAF gene determine sensitivity or resistance to a class of drugs that are BRAF inhibitors.

Possibly  Vemurafenib would be a better first choice since I believe that it works faster than ippi?

Hopefully others will add to this thread. If you are considering any other treatments outside the USA

my first choice would be to contact Ralph Moss. Do a search on "Ralph Moss and melanoma".

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Hi Annette,

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Annette, the big problem with liver mets is that action needs to be taken quickly. I
                                        feel that surgery, if possible, is the best option. However, if melanoma is widespread
                                        the surgical oncologist may be reluctant to operate.

If the patient has already tried Zelboraf, then BRAF inhibitor resistance and its
                                        consequences raise another problem. Therefore, drugs such as MEK/PI3K or HSP90
                                        inhibitors (XL888) may be beneficial. See:
                                        http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/18/1078-0432.CCR-11-2612

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Annette, the big problem with liver mets is that action needs to be taken quickly. I
                                          feel that surgery, if possible, is the best option. However, if melanoma is widespread

If the patient has already tried Zelboraf, then BRAF inhibitor resistance and its
                                          http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/18/1078-0432.CCR-11-2612

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics