The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to Tafinlar/ side effects?

Forums General Melanoma Community New to Tafinlar/ side effects?

Participant
      I have been on Tafinlar for4 1/2 days. Experiencing headaches and severe pain on bottoms of my feet. I do have neuropathy but this feels different. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so what helped? Thanks for all the previous help.
      Judy
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Sorry to hear of your side affects while on "T".I am on it for just over 5 weeks now and did not experience anything like you have.For the first week I only needed tylenol for a minor headache.Do have minor joint pain in the hands and shoulder.Nothing too serious.Hopefully your pain will lessen in time.Maybe some others may add their input on "T". Beat the Beast.     Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Sorry to hear of your side affects while on "T".I am on it for just over 5 weeks now and did not experience anything like you have.For the first week I only needed tylenol for a minor headache.Do have minor joint pain in the hands and shoulder.Nothing too serious.Hopefully your pain will lessen in time.Maybe some others may add their input on "T". Beat the Beast.     Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Mat
              Participant
                I’ve been on the GSK combo for 9 weeks. Side effects have been relatively minor. When I have had pain–and I do occasionally get it on the bottom of my feet as you describe–it usually resolves on its own within a day or two. Consider asking your doctor to add the Mekinist.
                  Judy D
                  Participant
                    Thanks for the info what is Mekinist?
                    Judy D
                    Participant
                      POW
                      Participant

Judy, for a discussion of Mekinist read the thread that Josh started a couple of weeks ago titled "BRAF Mutation". It's at:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/braf-mutation

POW
                        Participant

Judy, for a discussion of Mekinist read the thread that Josh started a couple of weeks ago titled "BRAF Mutation". It's at:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/braf-mutation

POW
                          Participant

NYKaren
                            Participant
                              Darafinib and Menkist are the 2 drugs that make Tafinlar. Sometimes some doctors will add them one at a time,(not sure why) but if your label says “Tafinlar” you are already on both. Yes, the foot pain is a known side-effect, I don’t know what to do about it; I only had it mildly and it’s almost gone; what does your doctor say?
                              NYKaren
                              Participant
                                Darafinib and Menkist are the 2 drugs that make Tafinlar. Sometimes some doctors will add them one at a time,(not sure why) but if your label says “Tafinlar” you are already on both. Yes, the foot pain is a known side-effect, I don’t know what to do about it; I only had it mildly and it’s almost gone; what does your doctor say?
                                POW
                                Participant

Karen, where did you get the idea that Tafinlar is a combination of two drugs? It's not.

According to a GSK press release: "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved two new drugs, Tafinlar (dabrafenib) and Mekinist (trametinib), for patients with advanced (metastatic) or unresectable (cannot be removed by surgery) melanoma, the most dangerous type of skin cancer."

Right now, the FDA has only approved Tafinlar and Mekinist to be prescribed and used seperately– one or the other. The combination of the two has been fast-tracked for FDA approval, but that hasn't happened yet. 

It's true that physicians can prescribe both drugs together if they want to go "off label" but most insurance companies will not pay for both drugs at once unless and until the combination gets FDA approval.

POW
                                  Participant

Karen, where did you get the idea that Tafinlar is a combination of two drugs? It's not.

According to a GSK press release: "The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved two new drugs, Tafinlar (dabrafenib) and Mekinist (trametinib), for patients with advanced (metastatic) or unresectable (cannot be removed by surgery) melanoma, the most dangerous type of skin cancer."

Right now, the FDA has only approved Tafinlar and Mekinist to be prescribed and used seperately– one or the other. The combination of the two has been fast-tracked for FDA approval, but that hasn't happened yet. 

It's true that physicians can prescribe both drugs together if they want to go "off label" but most insurance companies will not pay for both drugs at once unless and until the combination gets FDA approval.

Mat
                                    Participant
                                      POW is absolutely correct. These are 2 different drugs. Tafinlar does not “include” Mekinist.
                                      Mat
                                      Participant
                                        POW is absolutely correct. These are 2 different drugs. Tafinlar does not “include” Mekinist.
                                        Mat
                                        Participant
                                          POW
                                          Participant

NYKaren
                                            Participant
                                              bkinman
                                              Participant
                                                I have beenon “T” since 8/22. Headaches have been my biggest problem until I got to full dose then i startedhaving chills and fevers. Backed me down for a couple weeks went back to full dose and added MEK and am in hospital now for fever chills and passing out. They want to rule out sepsis. Take lortab 10 for headaches. They are not as severe as the first time on full dose. 2 II
                                                bkinman
                                                Participant
                                                  I have beenon “T” since 8/22. Headaches have been my biggest problem until I got to full dose then i startedhaving chills and fevers. Backed me down for a couple weeks went back to full dose and added MEK and am in hospital now for fever chills and passing out. They want to rule out sepsis. Take lortab 10 for headaches. They are not as severe as the first time on full dose. 2 II
                                                  bkinman
                                                  Participant
                                                    NYKaren
                                                    Participant
                                                      Yes, you are absolutely right. I am sorry. I was way too tired last night.
                                                      Karen

NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        Karen

NYKaren
                                                        Participant
                                                          Does somebody know that most insurances won’t pay? Mine does, and my onc says every specialty pharmacy she’s seen does too.
                                                          NYKaren
                                                          Participant
                                                            Does somebody know that most insurances won’t pay? Mine does, and my onc says every specialty pharmacy she’s seen does too.
                                                            NYKaren
                                                            Participant
                                                              POW
                                                              Participant

What is a "specialty pharmacy"? Do you mean a compounding pharmacy? And what does the pharmacy have to do with whether or not an insurance company will cover the drug? I guess I'm just not understanding the situation.

NYKaren
                                                                Participant
                                                                  pharmacy that specializes in drugs for rare or chronic conditions. Medco, CVS Caremark, OptumRx, etc.
                                                                  On my insurance, Zel and Tafinlar are both delivered that way.
                                                                  NYKaren
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    pharmacy that specializes in drugs for rare or chronic conditions. Medco, CVS Caremark, OptumRx, etc.
                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      POW
                                                                      Participant

What is a "specialty pharmacy"? Do you mean a compounding pharmacy? And what does the pharmacy have to do with whether or not an insurance company will cover the drug? I guess I'm just not understanding the situation.

POW
                                                                        Participant

bkinman
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            I have BCBS of AL. I have to go through speciality pharmacy, but Zelboraf, tafinlar and MEK have all been covered. I do know my employer is self insured. Don’t know if makes a difference.
                                                                            bkinman
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              I have BCBS of AL. I have to go through speciality pharmacy, but Zelboraf, tafinlar and MEK have all been covered. I do know my employer is self insured. Don’t know if makes a difference.
                                                                              bkinman
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                NYKaren
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  Karen

Judy D
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    Sorry to hear you are having these issues hoping they will be resolved soon for you. Keep fighting, we can beat this beast. I will lift you up in prayer
                                                                                    Judy D
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      Sorry to hear you are having these issues hoping they will be resolved soon for you. Keep fighting, we can beat this beast. I will lift you up in prayer
                                                                                      Judy D
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        bkinman
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Wanted to update, Dr decided chills and fever this time were due to cdiff return. Headaches are better as well as painful rash.
                                                                                          bkinman
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Wanted to update, Dr decided chills and fever this time were due to cdiff return. Headaches are better as well as painful rash.
                                                                                            bkinman
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Judy D
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                              Mat
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                I’ve been on the GSK combo for 9 weeks. Side effects have been relatively minor. When I have had pain–and I do occasionally get it on the bottom of my feet as you describe–it usually resolves on its own within a day or two. Consider asking your doctor to add the Mekinist.
                                                                                                Mat
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                              Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics