The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My husband lost his battle

Forums General Melanoma Community My husband lost his battle

Participant

I haven't posted in a while, but wanted to thank everyone that has responded to my posts over the years and for the support I received here.

This was the first websie and bulletin board I found when researching melanoma for my husband almost 10 years ago.  It has been very helpful to me.

He lost his battle on Saturday, 5/19 after a courageous journey.  He was a true fighter and never gave up hope.  I know he's in a better place now — free of pain of this terrible disease.

I pray for all of you battling the disease.  Stay strong!

I haven't posted in a while, but wanted to thank everyone that has responded to my posts over the years and for the support I received here.

This was the first websie and bulletin board I found when researching melanoma for my husband almost 10 years ago.  It has been very helpful to me.

He lost his battle on Saturday, 5/19 after a courageous journey.  He was a true fighter and never gave up hope.  I know he's in a better place now — free of pain of this terrible disease.

I pray for all of you battling the disease.  Stay strong!

God Bless

Rea Hix

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        kristine
        Participant

I' m sorry for your loss Rea.  God Bless you and comfort you and your family during this time. 

kristine
          Participant

I' m sorry for your loss Rea.  God Bless you and comfort you and your family during this time. 

kristine
            Participant

zaccarin
              Participant

I have to post this anonymously, as my husband too lost his battle 21 days ago and could not bring myself to write. I honestly do not know how to handle the recurring thoughts of the suffering that my gentle, sweet, compassionate and strong husband endured. I cannot help but ponder the "what ifs," the lost chances, and blame myself self-destructively every day. for not having been able to keep him alive beyond the nine years that he had this disease, which had penetrated his lymphatic system immediately upon diagnosis due to failure to diagnose immediately. I had spent 24 hours seven days a week with him for the past six months, going to doctor's offices, trying new treatments, and now I have to ask myself who I am because I lost myself in this process.  I walk around in such intense pain that nothing – no medications – can alleviate. There has been an eery stillness to the earth since he has departed in physical form, and the quiet — without his beautiful voice – hurts beyond belief. Melanoma is so much more violent than any other cancer  yet people think it's just a superficial skin disease.  Please tell me caregivers of melanoma loved ones – how do you do it? How do you continue to live? I have children and love them, but I am in such pain that I selfishly look forward to the end.

audgator
                  Participant

First, Rea, my sympathy for your loss and my thanks for your good wishes and encouragement. Second, Anonymous, I am struggling to find the words I want to say to you. I am two years past my diagnosis and on my fifth form of treatment. It has been a fairly easy if unsuccessful journey for me so far, but probably not for my wife of 37+years. If I lose this battle, I don't want her worrying about "what ifs" or feeling like she is lost. I want her to live out a long and happy life. I want her to be strong for my son and I want her to tell my unborn grandchildren about me. Take a message from Rea: Be strong. I hope my inadequate words can be a bit of a hug for you.   Dan

audgator
                    Participant

First, Rea, my sympathy for your loss and my thanks for your good wishes and encouragement. Second, Anonymous, I am struggling to find the words I want to say to you. I am two years past my diagnosis and on my fifth form of treatment. It has been a fairly easy if unsuccessful journey for me so far, but probably not for my wife of 37+years. If I lose this battle, I don't want her worrying about "what ifs" or feeling like she is lost. I want her to live out a long and happy life. I want her to be strong for my son and I want her to tell my unborn grandchildren about me. Take a message from Rea: Be strong. I hope my inadequate words can be a bit of a hug for you.   Dan

audgator
                      Participant

I am so sorry to hear the pain from those being left behind. I have been fighting this disease for four years now. My biggest fear was trying to explain to my family how serious this disease is, I actually sent tme to websites like this one to get the best from the best. Having lost my 9 year old sister to am leukemia when I was only 15 myself I remember how hard it was on the care givers side. I actually cried more for what my poor children and husband was going to be exposed to than anything I myself must endure. One of the first things I said to my family wa
                        Please don,t be afraid of me because you don ,t know what to say I am sure your husband would be so sadden to how you suffer I doubt there is anything you did while you loved and took care of him he wishes you had not I feel for you but others in his life, you mentioned children are also hurting. Try and support one and other as you work through this time of grief. I am praying for you all.
                        Kathy
                        I am so sorry to hear the pain from those being left behind. I have been fighting this disease for four years now. My biggest fear was trying to explain to my family how serious this disease is, I actually sent tme to websites like this one to get the best from the best. Having lost my 9 year old sister to am leukemia when I was only 15 myself I remember how hard it was on the care givers side. I actually cried more for what my poor children and husband was going to be exposed to than anything I myself must endure. One of the first things I said to my family wa
                        Please don,t be afraid of me because you don ,t know what to say I am sure your husband would be so sadden to how you suffer I doubt there is anything you did while you loved and took care of him he wishes you had not I feel for you but others in his life, you mentioned children are also hurting. Try and support one and other as you work through this time of grief. I am praying for you all.
                        Kathy
                        Kathy
                        Sherron
                        Participant

record his voice off of his phone and then hae someone or you may can do it….I listen to my husbands voice daily, and touch the screen and I hear him speak, and all the beautiful colors and designs and his voice help me.  I usually cry, but still gives me pleasure just hearing his strong voice.

So sorry for your loss….It will be 18 months for me on the 30th that my Jim passed.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                          Participant

record his voice off of his phone and then hae someone or you may can do it….I listen to my husbands voice daily, and touch the screen and I hear him speak, and all the beautiful colors and designs and his voice help me.  I usually cry, but still gives me pleasure just hearing his strong voice.

So sorry for your loss….It will be 18 months for me on the 30th that my Jim passed.

Take Care,

Sherron
                            Participant

Take Care,

Rea
                              Participant

I know it's hard, but your husband would have wanted you to go on and live and be there for your children.   I had been with my husband for 31 years.  I lost my best friend.  The person I spent everyday with and I know how you feel, but he would have wanted me to continue to live.  I'ts not easy but I've got to do it.  I'm going to join a grief counseling class this week.  I think  it will help me to talk with others that have experienced a loss.  You should look into something similar.  I'll pray for you.  We need to just take one day at time.

God Bless.

Rea 

Rea
                                Participant

I know it's hard, but your husband would have wanted you to go on and live and be there for your children.   I had been with my husband for 31 years.  I lost my best friend.  The person I spent everyday with and I know how you feel, but he would have wanted me to continue to live.  I'ts not easy but I've got to do it.  I'm going to join a grief counseling class this week.  I think  it will help me to talk with others that have experienced a loss.  You should look into something similar.  I'll pray for you.  We need to just take one day at time.

God Bless.

Rea 

Rea
                                  Participant

God Bless.

Rea 

zaccarin
                                  Participant

I have to post this anonymously, as my husband too lost his battle 21 days ago and could not bring myself to write. I honestly do not know how to handle the recurring thoughts of the suffering that my gentle, sweet, compassionate and strong husband endured. I cannot help but ponder the "what ifs," the lost chances, and blame myself self-destructively every day. for not having been able to keep him alive beyond the nine years that he had this disease, which had penetrated his lymphatic system immediately upon diagnosis due to failure to diagnose immediately. I had spent 24 hours seven days a week with him for the past six months, going to doctor's offices, trying new treatments, and now I have to ask myself who I am because I lost myself in this process.  I walk around in such intense pain that nothing – no medications – can alleviate. There has been an eery stillness to the earth since he has departed in physical form, and the quiet — without his beautiful voice – hurts beyond belief. Melanoma is so much more violent than any other cancer  yet people think it's just a superficial skin disease.  Please tell me caregivers of melanoma loved ones – how do you do it? How do you continue to live? I have children and love them, but I am in such pain that I selfishly look forward to the end.

zaccarin
                                    Participant

yoopergirl
                                      Participant

I am so sorry for your loss.

yoopergirl
                                        Participant

yoopergirl
                                          Participant

zaccarin
                                            Participant

I am so so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel.

zaccarin
                                              Participant

zaccarin
                                                Participant

Phil S
                                                  Participant
                                                    Rea, I am so sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing part of his journey with us, I always go back and read people’s profiles, your husband sure gave it a good fight! Now, you need to take care of yourself, and allow the good memories to flood your mind! May your husband rest in peace, and may you feel his presence in your life forever. God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                    Phil S
                                                    Participant
                                                      Rea, I am so sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing part of his journey with us, I always go back and read people’s profiles, your husband sure gave it a good fight! Now, you need to take care of yourself, and allow the good memories to flood your mind! May your husband rest in peace, and may you feel his presence in your life forever. God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                      Phil S
                                                      Participant
                                                        blairashley
                                                        Participant

I am deeply sorry for your loss!

blairashley
                                                          Participant

blairashley
                                                            Participant

aldakota22
                                                              Participant

So sorry for your loss.No one can feel the pain you have.Know that he had the best most loving partner in his fight with "C". My prayers go out to you and family.Cherish all the good memories.  Al

aldakota22
                                                                Participant

So sorry for your loss.No one can feel the pain you have.Know that he had the best most loving partner in his fight with "C". My prayers go out to you and family.Cherish all the good memories.  Al

aldakota22
                                                                  Participant

deardad
                                                                      Participant

I am thinking of you at the very difficult time. I cannot even imagine what you and others are going through when it comes to loosing the love of your life. Without hope I don't think I would cope knowing that I'm going to loose my dad in the near future.

My sincere condolences

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                        Participant

I am thinking of you at the very difficult time. I cannot even imagine what you and others are going through when it comes to loosing the love of your life. Without hope I don't think I would cope knowing that I'm going to loose my dad in the near future.

My sincere condolences

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                          Participant

My sincere condolences

Nahmi from Melbourne

FormerCaregiver
                                                                          Participant

Rea, I am so sorry to read that your husband has passed away. Please accept my sincere condolences.

You are in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                            Participant

Rea, I am so sorry to read that your husband has passed away. Please accept my sincere condolences.

You are in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                              Participant

You are in my prayers.

Frank from Australia

justlittleoleme
                                                                                Participant

Sorry for your loss Rea.  May the Lord comfort you during this season of grief.

justlittleoleme
                                                                                  Participant

justlittleoleme
                                                                                    Participant

susanr
                                                                                      Participant

Rea,

Very Sorry.  He is in peace and you will be together again someday.

susanr
                                                                                        Participant

Rea,

susanr
                                                                                          Participant

Rea,

KRob
                                                                                            Participant

May you find strength in the days ahead and receive comfort for the support you gave.

KRob
                                                                                              Participant

May you find strength in the days ahead and receive comfort for the support you gave.

KRob
                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics