The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My 1st Interferon Treatment with Symptoms

Forums General Melanoma Community My 1st Interferon Treatment with Symptoms

Participant

Today was my first Interferon treatment. The day started at 8am with Oral Compazine for nausea, ibuprofen, 25mg IV Benadryl, 1000mL or normal saline for hydration, IV Zofran for nausea and finally the Interferon. The entire first day process took about 4 hours but should now go a little faster since I have one in the books.

Today was my first Interferon treatment. The day started at 8am with Oral Compazine for nausea, ibuprofen, 25mg IV Benadryl, 1000mL or normal saline for hydration, IV Zofran for nausea and finally the Interferon. The entire first day process took about 4 hours but should now go a little faster since I have one in the books.

I felt pretty good until about 4 hours after the treatment ended. I experienced all the FLU like sysmpoms, have a low grade fever. I did expel my lunch but I really think that was my fault for eating the wrong lunch. I will not make that mistake again. The worst part was the joint pain, chills and very mild shaking while felling hot. The worst of the symptoms (I hope) went away or deminshed in about 2 hrs and 30 min. 

I know everyone feels different during Interferon but I wanted to share my 1st experience since I have noticed many recent post about Interferon.

It is a very personal choice and I spent alot of time researching the subject to make a decision I was comfortable with.

I want to thank my family for all the worderful support and everyone on this board for all the information and your willingness to share your experiences.

Allen

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Allen,

I hope all goes well for you as you continue Interferon, that the side effects do, indeed, diminish, that you can finish what they've booked you for, and that it does its job and does it well.

Lord, in Your mercy, please make it so. Thank You. Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
          Participant

Allen,

I hope all goes well for you as you continue Interferon, that the side effects do, indeed, diminish, that you can finish what they've booked you for, and that it does its job and does it well.

Lord, in Your mercy, please make it so. Thank You. Amen!

Grace and peace,

Carol

gossteach
            Participant

Allen- I am praying for you! You described what I experienced seven months ago when I started interferon. It seems like just yesterday. I will keep you in my thoughts as you complete the first month….one day at a time! Try to drink lots of fluids….it will help with the headaches and body aches. Hang in there!

Michelle

awg
                Participant

Michelle,

How have you tolerated the M/W/F injections vs the high dose infusions? Are the side effects of flu like symptoms?

Thank you for your response.

Allen

awg
                  Participant

Michelle,

How have you tolerated the M/W/F injections vs the high dose infusions? Are the side effects of flu like symptoms?

Thank you for your response.

Allen

gossteach
                  Participant

Allen- I am praying for you! You described what I experienced seven months ago when I started interferon. It seems like just yesterday. I will keep you in my thoughts as you complete the first month….one day at a time! Try to drink lots of fluids….it will help with the headaches and body aches. Hang in there!

Michelle

DebbieH
                    Participant

Your first experience sounds a lot like mine.  After the first time I never lost my dinner again – I think it was my nerves, worrying how it would all go.

A lot of people, including me, arranged to have the infusions late in the day.  My daily appointment was for 4:00 and took about 5 hours each time but this way I was home sleeping for most of the worst side effects. 

Good luck to you.  It's not an easy treatment but I found it doable and knew I could quit if things got too bad. 

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED nearly 10 years after interferon

Mavbus
                        Participant

Dear DebbieH,

thank you for the info. I'm going today to get a PICC line put in. Then bloodwork and my first interferon treatment.  I am also stage IIIC. 

Mavbus
                          Participant

I am IIC. NOT IIIC

Mavbus
                            Participant

I am IIC. NOT IIIC

Mavbus
                              Participant

I am IIC. NOT IIIC

Mavbus
                                Participant

Dear DebbieH,

thank you for the info. I'm going today to get a PICC line put in. Then bloodwork and my first interferon treatment.  I am also stage IIIC. 

Mavbus
                                  Participant

Dear DebbieH,

DebbieH
                                  Participant

Your first experience sounds a lot like mine.  After the first time I never lost my dinner again – I think it was my nerves, worrying how it would all go.

A lot of people, including me, arranged to have the infusions late in the day.  My daily appointment was for 4:00 and took about 5 hours each time but this way I was home sleeping for most of the worst side effects. 

Good luck to you.  It's not an easy treatment but I found it doable and knew I could quit if things got too bad. 

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED nearly 10 years after interferon

triciad
                                    Participant

Allen,

I remember it all too well.  I agree with the above poster about trying to get your infusions as late as possible.  I, too, got mine at 4:00.  Then, I went home, ate, and went to bed.  The first few days of high dose are the roughest.  I took benadryl and 2 extra strength tylenol.  I finished the whole year, so there is hope!  I broke it down by week and said, "Okay, one down and four to go."  It helped me.  Best of luck to you.  Please let us know if you need any help.

Tricia

triciad
                                      Participant

Allen,

I remember it all too well.  I agree with the above poster about trying to get your infusions as late as possible.  I, too, got mine at 4:00.  Then, I went home, ate, and went to bed.  The first few days of high dose are the roughest.  I took benadryl and 2 extra strength tylenol.  I finished the whole year, so there is hope!  I broke it down by week and said, "Okay, one down and four to go."  It helped me.  Best of luck to you.  Please let us know if you need any help.

Tricia

ockelly
                                        Participant

Allen

The first 2 nights were the worst for my husband TJ… fever chills etc but after that as long as he had tylenol and advil in his system he was much better. For the first week he did take both on schedule alternating every 4 hours, the remaining weeks he took it as needed but always before his infusion.  His onset of side effects was 5 hours after the infusion.  I highly recommend a late in the day infusion.  Have a meal ready to heat when you walk in the door so you can eat and go to bed.  After a few week he started having insomnia and nighttime anxiety (very strange for him) and needed to add a nightly dose of ativan.  He is still taking that 6 months in and it is helping.  There are so many different possible side effects and no one knows which they will experience but there does seem to be a way to manage each.  Keep a log so you can track and report your side effects for better management.

Good luck to you.  Its a long road but manageable with support and a positive attitude.

Kelly

ockelly
                                          Participant

Allen

The first 2 nights were the worst for my husband TJ… fever chills etc but after that as long as he had tylenol and advil in his system he was much better. For the first week he did take both on schedule alternating every 4 hours, the remaining weeks he took it as needed but always before his infusion.  His onset of side effects was 5 hours after the infusion.  I highly recommend a late in the day infusion.  Have a meal ready to heat when you walk in the door so you can eat and go to bed.  After a few week he started having insomnia and nighttime anxiety (very strange for him) and needed to add a nightly dose of ativan.  He is still taking that 6 months in and it is helping.  There are so many different possible side effects and no one knows which they will experience but there does seem to be a way to manage each.  Keep a log so you can track and report your side effects for better management.

Good luck to you.  Its a long road but manageable with support and a positive attitude.

Kelly

James from Sydney
                                            Participant

our son seemed to get through it with mild flu symptoms, he also had his infusion later in the afternoon and went home to sleep it off. The nurses advised drinking lots of fluids and eating bananas.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                                              Participant

our son seemed to get through it with mild flu symptoms, he also had his infusion later in the afternoon and went home to sleep it off. The nurses advised drinking lots of fluids and eating bananas.

best wishes

James

jcraigdawson
                                                Participant

Allen,

The best of luck in this. I have to agree with everything above especially the Tylenol. I finished the full year, and the only other point I'd like to make not mentioned above is that the doctors started me off with 1,000ml of fluids but quickly doubled that to 2,000ml a day. The extra fluids really help, and having it dropped right into the system is alot easier than trying to drink enough to stay hydrated.

jcraigdawson
                                                  Participant

Allen,

The best of luck in this. I have to agree with everything above especially the Tylenol. I finished the full year, and the only other point I'd like to make not mentioned above is that the doctors started me off with 1,000ml of fluids but quickly doubled that to 2,000ml a day. The extra fluids really help, and having it dropped right into the system is alot easier than trying to drink enough to stay hydrated.

slpinion
                                                    Participant

Allen,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your first Interferon treatment.  I have an appointment with my oncologist this afternoon to begin my own treatment cycle, so reading about your 1st treatment experience was insightful.

Best of luck to you as you continue in your treatment.

Sharon

slpinion
                                                      Participant

Allen,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your first Interferon treatment.  I have an appointment with my oncologist this afternoon to begin my own treatment cycle, so reading about your 1st treatment experience was insightful.

Best of luck to you as you continue in your treatment.

Sharon

DeniseK
                                                        Participant

Hi Allen,

Thank you so much for posting this!  I'm scared to death about starting Interferon but it doesn't sound that bad.  I mean feeling sick isn't good but I thought from reading other posts that I would feel deathly ill!!  Can you drive?  How did you sleep?  Keep on posting or messaging me with you journey.  I should start my treatments August 1st so we'll be right there with each other!!  Thank you again for posting!!

Denise

awg
                                                            Participant

Denise,

Day 2 has been much better, I have had basically no bone or joint pain today. I have had a mild headache. I did eat a much lighter lunch and had no problems with nausea but take the meds as prescribed, the really help.I can drive and slept well last night. The one thing to watch is how the IV Benadryl makes you feel if you are given any. I receive 25 per day IV and do fine with it. I also made certain I had Tylenol or ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hrs today and I have consumed almost 2 liters of water in addition the the 1000mL IV I receive daily. I am going to look at moving my infusion time to 1 or 2pm so the effects do not hit in mid-afternoon. Currently I start at 8am but may move to 1 or 2 and if I can do that I really believe I will be able to work until my infusion time but I will rest when my body tells me to.

The one thing nice about the early infusion time is that I do not have to wait on a chair and am usually one of the first ones to get started but I will weight that against my desire to work if possible.

Best of luck to you are you prepare to start Interferon. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Regards,

Allen

DeniseK
                                                              Participant

Hi Allen,

Ii'm so glad to hear your day 2 went better than day 1!  Yeah from what I read from everyone else doing the later day treatments sounds much better.  I've already prepared to take the first month off work.  I was concerned about being able to drive because it would be dificult to get someone to drive me everyday, so that's good news that you can drive.  I didn't realize it took 4 hours for the infusion.  I thought it was only 20 minutes.  I guess we all guess at what to expect and don't really know until we're there.  I really appreciate you sharing!!  🙂 

Thanks again, Denise

awg
                                                                Participant

Denise,

The Interferon infusion is only about 20-30 minutes, the fluid for hydration is 2 hrs for 1000mL and the Zofran infusion takes about 20-30 minutes. The IV fluids really help and I now have a goal of drinking an additional 2-3 liters of water daily after the infusion to help with the headaches.

Allen

awg
                                                                  Participant

Denise,

The Interferon infusion is only about 20-30 minutes, the fluid for hydration is 2 hrs for 1000mL and the Zofran infusion takes about 20-30 minutes. The IV fluids really help and I now have a goal of drinking an additional 2-3 liters of water daily after the infusion to help with the headaches.

Allen

DeniseK
                                                                    Participant

Hi Allen,

Ii'm so glad to hear your day 2 went better than day 1!  Yeah from what I read from everyone else doing the later day treatments sounds much better.  I've already prepared to take the first month off work.  I was concerned about being able to drive because it would be dificult to get someone to drive me everyday, so that's good news that you can drive.  I didn't realize it took 4 hours for the infusion.  I thought it was only 20 minutes.  I guess we all guess at what to expect and don't really know until we're there.  I really appreciate you sharing!!  🙂 

Thanks again, Denise

Mavbus
                                                                      Participant

Dear Allen, 

thank you for your posts. I start this afternoon. Getting PICC line first.  Your info is helpful. 

Mavbus
                                                                        Participant

Dear Allen, 

thank you for your posts. I start this afternoon. Getting PICC line first.  Your info is helpful. 

Mavbus
                                                                          Participant

Dear Allen, 

awg
                                                                            Participant

Denise,

Day 2 has been much better, I have had basically no bone or joint pain today. I have had a mild headache. I did eat a much lighter lunch and had no problems with nausea but take the meds as prescribed, the really help.I can drive and slept well last night. The one thing to watch is how the IV Benadryl makes you feel if you are given any. I receive 25 per day IV and do fine with it. I also made certain I had Tylenol or ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hrs today and I have consumed almost 2 liters of water in addition the the 1000mL IV I receive daily. I am going to look at moving my infusion time to 1 or 2pm so the effects do not hit in mid-afternoon. Currently I start at 8am but may move to 1 or 2 and if I can do that I really believe I will be able to work until my infusion time but I will rest when my body tells me to.

The one thing nice about the early infusion time is that I do not have to wait on a chair and am usually one of the first ones to get started but I will weight that against my desire to work if possible.

Best of luck to you are you prepare to start Interferon. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Regards,

Allen

DeniseK
                                                                            Participant

Hi Allen,

Thank you so much for posting this!  I'm scared to death about starting Interferon but it doesn't sound that bad.  I mean feeling sick isn't good but I thought from reading other posts that I would feel deathly ill!!  Can you drive?  How did you sleep?  Keep on posting or messaging me with you journey.  I should start my treatments August 1st so we'll be right there with each other!!  Thank you again for posting!!

Denise

awg
                                                                              Participant

Day 3 was about the same as day 2. I did not drink as much fluid as I did on day 2 and had more of a headache. I think I need between 2-3 liters of additional fluid to assist with minimizing the headaches.

Allen

awg
                                                                                Participant

Day 3 was about the same as day 2. I did not drink as much fluid as I did on day 2 and had more of a headache. I think I need between 2-3 liters of additional fluid to assist with minimizing the headaches.

Allen

djpayn
                                                                                  Participant

Hi. I got lost my lunch after my first IV dose of INF also, but thats the only time it happened. i felt all the flu-like symptoms all the way through the end of my INF experience, which was 1 month of high dose, and 9 months of self injections. I never noticed a change in the flu-like symptoms, they always came no matter what i did. Good luck to you! Also, alot of people ask for a low dose anti-depressant when staring INF as it does tend to make the brain a little "off" at times. If you havent discussed this with your medical provider, iw ould suggest it. It really can help so that you can do the full year of treatment. Good luck again!!

djpayn

djpayn
                                                                                    Participant

Hi. I got lost my lunch after my first IV dose of INF also, but thats the only time it happened. i felt all the flu-like symptoms all the way through the end of my INF experience, which was 1 month of high dose, and 9 months of self injections. I never noticed a change in the flu-like symptoms, they always came no matter what i did. Good luck to you! Also, alot of people ask for a low dose anti-depressant when staring INF as it does tend to make the brain a little "off" at times. If you havent discussed this with your medical provider, iw ould suggest it. It really can help so that you can do the full year of treatment. Good luck again!!

djpayn

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics