The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Multiple Primaries

Forums General Melanoma Community Multiple Primaries

Participant

Has anyone here had more than one primary lesion? Was the treatment WLE? Unfortunately, I found another primary lesion today on the border of my scalp WLE for the first primary. Of course, my discoveries seem to always come on Fridays–literally, every single one–and I have calls into my Onc and Mel Derm. Any other Multiples out there, what was your experience?

Thanks,

Lisa

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelanomaMike
        Participant
          Hi Lisa! Oh jeez-lah-weez! Thats it, quit scheduling your visits for Fridays, make em’ Mondays, Mondays suck anyways….
          Now, im not the smartest here but, you mean 2 or more Primaries of melanoma tumors/lesions that are “NOT” related DNA wise to eachother correct? If so, im also a client! My last biopsy/WLE on my left leg last year (2017) came back as 99.9% NOT the Father of last 5 tumors babies they WLE’d in my past since my first dig/primary of 2008.
          So, if all them other 5 tumors never popped up in my left leg from 2008 to 2017, then 2017 would have been my actual Primary date, i thought that was interesting when they told me this..now its in my lungs, my newest “strain” of Melanoma is much more aggresive and doesnt care for a leg, a thigh a foot, it wants my SOUL! haha..please tell me im understanding you??!!…
            lkb
            Participant

Thanks, Mike! You are understanding me, but since I always find these darilings (1 lesion, several bumps) with my hand/eye (not at an appointment) on a Friday, it takes days to learn what they mean. For example, I don't yet know if this one was sired by its WLE'd neighbor, an inch away. I had already arranged a 2nd opinion appt at Dana Farber in Boston for Tuesday, so I'll see what happens there. (You and your soul are going Monday in LA, right?) Oh, and my weekly calendar is, from today forward, proceeding directly from Thursday to Saturday, non-stop.

Lisa

MelanomaMike
              Participant
                Atta girl Lisa! Mondays have ALWAYS been “the” day of termoil, back to school/work and a fab day for bad news, come Friday,Ha! Yer already over it! But we digress…
                Hopefully, HOPEFULLY you dont have a 2nd primary, now Bubbles or Ed W. Or Jen & the rest of the crew may need to chime in to say DONT worry (or worry) but, i dont know if it makes our situation worse? However, my first Primary tumor & the 4 after ONLY enjoyed my left legs “Meatiness” if you will, and Did not want to migrate into any other parts of my body. Now, Primary #2 (2017) did not enjoy my leg & hit my Lymphatic Hwy 101 & landed in both lungs, so, is a 2nd primary not so good news? For me it wasnt 🙁
                Yes! We see an Onco Monday ill keep ya posted! Im pressed for time!! Somethings gotta give!…
                lkb
                Participant

Standing by to hear how it goes!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I'm also treated at Dana Farber in Boston.  I'll be in there on Monday afternoon so I might see you around the 5th floor.  My original melanoma was 10 years prior to my stage IV diagnosis so we don't know if it was the original primary or if there was another.  I have a suspect but we didn't bother to look for a primary for the stage IV but just started treatment as soon as we got the positive biopsy.  

Good wishes to you 

Jennifer

lkb
                  Participant

Thanks, Jenn, for your reply and good wishes. Wow, ten years. That must have come as quite a shock. Should I assume your primary (or another) was visible?  I will be at DFCI Tuesday, so missing you by a day. One of the many reasons I chose Dr. Buchbinder for a 2nd opinion is her thyroid research–particularly pertinent to us on immunotherapy. Thanks again.

Lisa

It was visible and it was a shock after 10 years.  Dr. Buchbinder is definitely wonderful.  She and my team really saved me.  Hoping Tuesday goes well.

aramat
                  Participant

Just wanted to wish you the best…the waiting is one of the hardest things, I think. Hope it turns out to be an easy WLE that takes care of it…

lkb
                      Participant

Thanks, aramat. Waiting–oh yes, the hardest. I'm getting some help with Headspace guided meditations and the practice of looking AT thoughts and not THROUGH them. Not easy, but big reward in those few times I can actually do it. Hope to get better at it.

Lisa

AMcReader
                      Participant

I have 4 primaries, the first in 1994 I was 8 years old at the time it was removed), the second in 2010, the third in 2012 and the fourth in 2014. The first one was Clark’s level 4, the additional primaries were all Breslow depth of 0/1. I moved straight to Stage 4 in February of this year and I have to say now I’m just curious which primary was the original cause. It seems unlikely it was the one from 1994…but all the others were so thin and removed easily. I have nothing to offer in terms of advice but wanted to show solidarity. Wishing you good health and happiness!

lkb
                          Participant

Thanks, Amanda. Solidarity's keen–we'll take it! Glad for the shrinking. Sounds like you're about to hit your half-way point with Nivo. Cheering you on.

Lisa

WithinMySkin
                          Participant

Hi Lisa! I've never been to Dana Farber, but I've heard amazing things. My team is through Mass General, and if you ever need another opinion, I can't say enough about them. Super responsive and my doc is superb. I've heard a few people on this board talk about multiple primaries, including the amazing Janner, a top contibutor on Stage 0-II melanoma. It's rare but it does happen, and I think the treatment is similar to a first primary. Hopefully Janner can comment with her wisdom.

Lauren

lkb
                              Participant

Thanks, Lauren. I'm eager to find out if visible lesions ever respond to Nivo or if it's only mets below the skin. Trying to use the waiting period to generate questions. Glad you have a great team through U Mass. I have every confidence in my UCSF team as well.

Lisa

Janner
                              Participant

Since this is on the border of a previous WLE, are you sure this isn't a local recurrence of that primary?

I've had 3.  WLE and/or SNB depending on depth is the standard for any primary.  SNB may be debatable if on systemic treatment but that would be a discussion topic. As for whether or not Nivo will affect a new primary, the jury is out I'm sure.  Since only around 10% of the melanoma population ever have more than one primary, it's a smaller subset.  And you never know for sure it's a primary without a biopsy.  Despite being on systemic treatment, I'd opt for the surgical removal.  No need to add another variable and hope the Nivo takes care of it.

lkb
                                  Participant

Thank you, Janner! My onc says to give the Nivo a chance to work (I've only had two infusions). I have a 2nd opinion appt tomorrow and will ask if it could be a local recurrence of the original primary and how that answer affects a treatment plan. If they do surgery, it would be my third in one year. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics