The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Moving to hospice

Forums General Melanoma Community Moving to hospice

Participant

To the valiant warriors I have met here..

Your courage and strength is amazing. Your help to your fellow sufferers is so comforting. 

Vince's disease is too aggressive. Failed BRAF inhibitors after three weeks new sub -q met, new bowel mets and progression of lung and brain met. Did craniotomy after intracerebral bleed and swelling did not respond to steroids. Had 700 cc tapped from pleural effusions and shortness of breath was better for a few days. Was walking in the halls with a cane and able to do a few steps.Went home and 48 hours later readmitted for renal failure , LDH 3000 and increasing abdominal distiention, worsenng shortness of breath and inability to ambulate due to shortness of breath and pain. Was hopeful distension was from ascites and could be drained but is just tumor. Got keytruda but no time for it to work. His oncologist as well as the two other melanoma oncologist say this degree of aggression is rare.

Diganosed Stage 4 on November 12,2016. Now moving to hospice. He is still sweet and polite and still coherent. I am broken.

Judy

Viewing 71 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof4boys
        Participant
          I just wanted you to know I am so sorry to hear how things have progressed and I will certainly be praying for you and your husband. I dont have much in terms of wisdom here, just wanted you to know someone is listening!
          momof4boys
          Participant
            I just wanted you to know I am so sorry to hear how things have progressed and I will certainly be praying for you and your husband. I dont have much in terms of wisdom here, just wanted you to know someone is listening!
            momof4boys
            Participant
              debwray
              Participant

I am so very sorry to hear your latest news. Hospice care maybe where they can keep Vince the most comfortable but I am wondering if it would be possible for him to receive further doses of keytruda there and give it a little bit more time to work. 

I am struggling to find words for you as I have watched the pain and hurt my disease has brought to my family and husband since my stage four diagnosis in Oct 2016. Vince is still coherent..so. maybe now is the time to say those important things. It is painful but part of the cost of loving. The other thing besides a revised will was giving permission for my husband to give decisionbs on my behalf as to further treatment…this carries legal power.

You will both be in my thoughts and prayers tonight . You are not on your own walking this path.

Hoping that the turn of the year will bring better news,

Deb

debwray
                Participant

I am so very sorry to hear your latest news. Hospice care maybe where they can keep Vince the most comfortable but I am wondering if it would be possible for him to receive further doses of keytruda there and give it a little bit more time to work. 

I am struggling to find words for you as I have watched the pain and hurt my disease has brought to my family and husband since my stage four diagnosis in Oct 2016. Vince is still coherent..so. maybe now is the time to say those important things. It is painful but part of the cost of loving. The other thing besides a revised will was giving permission for my husband to give decisionbs on my behalf as to further treatment…this carries legal power.

You will both be in my thoughts and prayers tonight . You are not on your own walking this path.

Deb

debwray
                  Participant

Deb

debwray
                    Participant

Deb

debwray
                      Participant

Deb

debwray
                        Participant

Deb

debwray
                          Participant

Deb

debwray
                            Participant

Deb

debwray
                              Participant

Deb

debwray
                                Participant

Deb

debwray
                                  Participant

Deb

debwray
                                    Participant

Deb

_Paul_
                                      Participant

Oh Judy,

I wish there was something I could say that would in some tiny way help, but I know there is not. I will be praying for you and your husband. Whenever you need to cry, vent your anguish or anything, there are a great number of people here to support you or even simply listen.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                        Participant

Oh Judy,

I wish there was something I could say that would in some tiny way help, but I know there is not. I will be praying for you and your husband. Whenever you need to cry, vent your anguish or anything, there are a great number of people here to support you or even simply listen.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                          Participant

Oh Judy,

– Paul

casagrayson
                                            Participant

Judy,

I am so sorry that things have progressed so rapidly.  You and Vince have hardly had time to digest the Stage IV diagnosis.  No words that I have will take away the fear and pain you are feeling, but please know that you are deeply cared for here.  

casagrayson
                                              Participant

Judy,

I am so sorry that things have progressed so rapidly.  You and Vince have hardly had time to digest the Stage IV diagnosis.  No words that I have will take away the fear and pain you are feeling, but please know that you are deeply cared for here.  

casagrayson
                                                Participant

Judy,

triciad
                                                  Participant

Judy,

I am so sorry to hear about Vince's rapid progression.  You will be in my prayers for a miracle.  President Carter did well on Keytruda.  I pray that it will work for Vince,  Sending positive thoughts your way!

Blessings,

Tricia

triciad
                                                    Participant

Judy,

I am so sorry to hear about Vince's rapid progression.  You will be in my prayers for a miracle.  President Carter did well on Keytruda.  I pray that it will work for Vince,  Sending positive thoughts your way!

Blessings,

Tricia

triciad
                                                      Participant

Judy,

Blessings,

Tricia

Bubbles
                                                        Participant

Oh, Judy.  I am so sorry for all you and your husband have been going through.  Have been following your story.  Have not commented as others have given good suggestions, docs have seemed on point, and you have been an amazing support to your husband…learning so much in such a short and difficult period of time. You have been a real gift to your husband, through this horrible ordeal, and I suspect for all your years together.  That is a real gift indeed. Hang in there.  Yell here all you want.  I will still be hoping keytruda will work faster than expected. Yours, celeste

Bubbles
                                                          Participant

Oh, Judy.  I am so sorry for all you and your husband have been going through.  Have been following your story.  Have not commented as others have given good suggestions, docs have seemed on point, and you have been an amazing support to your husband…learning so much in such a short and difficult period of time. You have been a real gift to your husband, through this horrible ordeal, and I suspect for all your years together.  That is a real gift indeed. Hang in there.  Yell here all you want.  I will still be hoping keytruda will work faster than expected. Yours, celeste

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

jbronicki
                                                              Participant

Hey Judy,

Just offering more words of support.  Being the caregiver and the partner/spouse/soulmate of someone going through this is a huge deal and you are a wonderful gift to your husband.  I know it must be brutal watching your husband go through this.  Many of us out here on the board will be thinking about both of you and hoping for Keytruda to kick in.  My heartfelt hugs to you.  will light a candle for y'all tonight.

-Jackie

jbronicki
                                                                Participant

Hey Judy,

Just offering more words of support.  Being the caregiver and the partner/spouse/soulmate of someone going through this is a huge deal and you are a wonderful gift to your husband.  I know it must be brutal watching your husband go through this.  Many of us out here on the board will be thinking about both of you and hoping for Keytruda to kick in.  My heartfelt hugs to you.  will light a candle for y'all tonight.

-Jackie

jbronicki
                                                                  Participant

Hey Judy,

-Jackie

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

There really are no words to express how deeply sorry I am you and your husband have had to go on this awful ride and have it go downhill so quickly. It is absolutely hardest on the caregivers; your husband is so very lucky to have you by his side. Sending love and prayers your way.

Mark_DC
                                                                        Participant

Am with Jenn and the many others writing here. I hope the keytruda will have time to work. Will be thinking of and praying for both of you

Mark_DC
                                                                          Participant

Am with Jenn and the many others writing here. I hope the keytruda will have time to work. Will be thinking of and praying for both of you

Mark_DC
                                                                            Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                            Participant

There really are no words to express how deeply sorry I am you and your husband have had to go on this awful ride and have it go downhill so quickly. It is absolutely hardest on the caregivers; your husband is so very lucky to have you by his side. Sending love and prayers your way.

jennunicorn
                                                                              Participant

Patrisa
                                                                                Participant

Dear Judy,

my only new years wish is for all our warriors to get better, Vince too of course…

Have no words to make it better, just know that we all pray for all you brave guys and ladies going through this….

Believing and hoping for keytruda will give you a miracle…

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                  Participant

Dear Judy,

my only new years wish is for all our warriors to get better, Vince too of course…

Have no words to make it better, just know that we all pray for all you brave guys and ladies going through this….

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                    Participant

Dear Judy,

Love,

Patrisa

maperny
                                                                                      Participant

So sorry, Judy, to read about the nightmare you and your beloved husband are going through.  I am sure you must feel numb with the shock of all this happening so quickly.

I am sure that even through all this, Vince can feel your love and that you give him a reason to continue to fight on every day.  You sound like the most wonderful care-giver anyone could have.

As others have said, I hope that while he receives hospice care to make him as comfortable as possible, the Drs will agree to continue with Keytruda, it definitely can take time to work and although time is not on your side I know, it could still give you the miracle you need.

lots of prayers and hope for you both

Maria 

maperny
                                                                                        Participant

So sorry, Judy, to read about the nightmare you and your beloved husband are going through.  I am sure you must feel numb with the shock of all this happening so quickly.

I am sure that even through all this, Vince can feel your love and that you give him a reason to continue to fight on every day.  You sound like the most wonderful care-giver anyone could have.

As others have said, I hope that while he receives hospice care to make him as comfortable as possible, the Drs will agree to continue with Keytruda, it definitely can take time to work and although time is not on your side I know, it could still give you the miracle you need.

Maria 

maperny
                                                                                          Participant

Maria 

Lhawkins
                                                                                            Participant

Judy,

I just read some of your story and feel your pain as I was in your shoes a few short months ago. If you are a praying type please ask God to give you and your precious and amazing husband the comfort, strength, and peace you require right now.

My husband had many of the same symptoms you describe, he had stage IV leptomeningeal melanoma. Please let hospice take over and just love your husband and hold him and tell him he's all you've ever needed and more! I lost my Bryan on Oct 14, he was just 49 years old. I want you to know there are people praying for you, I truly understand what it feels like. 

You can do this.

Lee Ann

Lhawkins
                                                                                              Participant

Judy,

I just read some of your story and feel your pain as I was in your shoes a few short months ago. If you are a praying type please ask God to give you and your precious and amazing husband the comfort, strength, and peace you require right now.

My husband had many of the same symptoms you describe, he had stage IV leptomeningeal melanoma. Please let hospice take over and just love your husband and hold him and tell him he's all you've ever needed and more! I lost my Bryan on Oct 14, he was just 49 years old. I want you to know there are people praying for you, I truly understand what it feels like. 

You can do this.

Lee Ann

Lhawkins
                                                                                                Participant

Judy,

You can do this.

Lee Ann

Shaneswife
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Judy I have no words for the pain you must be going through. You and your husband are in my thoughts.
                                                                                                    Shaneswife
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      Judy I have no words for the pain you must be going through. You and your husband are in my thoughts.
                                                                                                      Shaneswife
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        adriana cooper
                                                                                                        Participant

Judy, I am sorry to read how fast this has progressed for the two of you. Stay strong for each other and the love you have will get you two through what ever the future brings. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Rob and Adriana.

adriana cooper
                                                                                                          Participant

Judy, I am sorry to read how fast this has progressed for the two of you. Stay strong for each other and the love you have will get you two through what ever the future brings. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Rob and Adriana.

adriana cooper
                                                                                                            Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                Judy, I am so heartbroken reading about this latest development. I will pray that Ketruda will still be able to kick in and do some damage. Know that we are here for you to help you through this. Do you have family close?

Big hugs to you.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  Judy, I am so heartbroken reading about this latest development. I will pray that Ketruda will still be able to kick in and do some damage. Know that we are here for you to help you through this. Do you have family close?

Big hugs to you.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                  Participant

Big hugs to you.

Annie

Maria C
                                                                                                                    Participant

Judy, I am so sorry and sad to hear this news about your husband. I join the others in praying for the miracle of keytruda to kick in. Please know this virtual community is very real for both patients and caregivers. We are here for you and send all the positive energy we can your way.

Maria C
                                                                                                                      Participant

Judy, I am so sorry and sad to hear this news about your husband. I join the others in praying for the miracle of keytruda to kick in. Please know this virtual community is very real for both patients and caregivers. We are here for you and send all the positive energy we can your way.

Maria C
                                                                                                                        Participant

Maria C
                                                                                                                          Participant

Maria C
                                                                                                                            Participant

Maria C
                                                                                                                              Participant

Terrified
                                                                                                                                Participant

At 2:25 pm, my love lost his fight with this beast and is now at peace. Surrounded by love, laughter and memories, I swear he waited until friends had arrive to surround me before he was willing to go. 

All of you are so strong, those with Mel and those who support. I will still check in on you from time to time. Thank you

Judy

vivian
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Judy, I am so sorry to read this, but I am glad you were comforted by friends and family and by the love surrounding you both at the end.  I send you thoughts of peace and light.

Lear

vivian
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Judy, I am so sorry to read this, but I am glad you were comforted by friends and family and by the love surrounding you both at the end.  I send you thoughts of peace and light.

Lear

vivian
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Lear

casagrayson
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Dear Judy,

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Corinne
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Judy,

i am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.

Corinne

Corinne
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Judy,

Corinne

Corinne
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Judy,

Corinne

casagrayson
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Judy,

casagrayson
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Dear Judy,

Mamapegela
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I am so sorry.  Your husband surely felt your love and support- may you have peace that passeth understanding.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I am so sorry.  Your husband surely felt your love and support- may you have peace that passeth understanding.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Peggy

Patrisa
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Judy,

I am so sorry for your loss… You and your family will be in my prayers…

Take care,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Dear Judy,

Take care,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Dear Judy,

Take care,

Patrisa

debwray
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Judy,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. May you find comfort with friends and loved ones in the dark and difficult days to come. You too are strong and will find a pathway through the grief as Vince would have wanted.Cherish the love laughter and memories they are food for our souls.

Thank you for keeping us updated . 

Wishing you all the best,

Deb

debwray
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Dear Judy,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. May you find comfort with friends and loved ones in the dark and difficult days to come. You too are strong and will find a pathway through the grief as Vince would have wanted.Cherish the love laughter and memories they are food for our souls.

Deb

debwray
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Dear Judy,

Deb

Shaneswife
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                          Judy I’m so sorry for your loss.
                                                                                                                                                                          Shaneswife
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                                                            Shaneswife
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                                                              Patina
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Judy,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost your love. We all share your grief and ache for your loss. If we could we would each be there to give you a shoulder to cry on.

Patina
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Judy,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost your love. We all share your grief and ache for your loss. If we could we would each be there to give you a shoulder to cry on.

Patina
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Judy,

Terrified
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

At 2:25 pm, my love lost his fight with this beast and is now at peace. Surrounded by love, laughter and memories, I swear he waited until friends had arrive to surround me before he was willing to go. 

All of you are so strong, those with Mel and those who support. I will still check in on you from time to time. Thank you

Judy

Terrified
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Judy

snow white
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Oh Judy, I am so very sorry that you lost your precious Vince today.  You were such a great support and loving wife, I am sure when he passed he was filled with your love and you will be in his memory forever.

Please take care and check in from time to time.

Jen

maperny
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Very sad and sorry to read this.  Thoughts and prayers for you, Judy, and all your family. May God bless you all.

Maria

Mark_DC
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Judy am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for all your posts, must have been painful. Am praying for you and Vince. Take care, Mark

Mark_DC
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Dear Judy am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for all your posts, must have been painful. Am praying for you and Vince. Take care, Mark

Mark_DC
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

maperny
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Very sad and sorry to read this.  Thoughts and prayers for you, Judy, and all your family. May God bless you all.

Maria

maperny
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Maria

snow white
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Oh Judy, I am so very sorry that you lost your precious Vince today.  You were such a great support and loving wife, I am sure when he passed he was filled with your love and you will be in his memory forever.

Jen

snow white
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Jen

Cathy M
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Judy I am so sorry for the loss of your brave Vince. Sending comforting thoughts your way.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Cathy M
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Judy I am so sorry for the loss of your brave Vince. Sending comforting thoughts your way.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Cathy M
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                              marta010
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Judy- I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  Sending prayers for you and your family.  

Ann

marta010
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Judy- I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  Sending prayers for you and your family.  

Ann

marta010
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Ann

tschmith
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Judy,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.  My sympathy to you and your family as you deal with this sadness.  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Judy,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.  My sympathy to you and your family as you deal with this sadness.  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Judy,

Terrie

Viewing 71 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics