The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph node and ultrasound questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymph node and ultrasound questions

Participant

Long story short, I am stage 4A (primary tumor on left elbow that spread to lymph nodes in armpit and into breast and sternum and 2nd primary in right leg/ lower calf that required a skin graft.) Just had my 3rd dose of ipi/nivo today. A PET scan in May found a new tumor (4mm) above the 2nd primary site in my leg and biopsy confirmed melanoma.

My most recent PET scan (July 30) showed the tumor in my leg is now 7mm and there is an enlarged lymph node in my left groin. I will be having the tumor in my right leg removed soon but I have a question about the left groin.

First, can melanoma appear in the left groin with the closest primary tumor being in the left elbow? My doctor doesn't think it can be melanoma because there is no primary tumor near my left groin. We are doing an ultrasound and posstible biopsy just to be safe. 

Next, how does the ultrasound determine if a biopsy is needed? 

I am not stressing about these procedures, but I cannot find any information on if the lymph node that lit up in my left groin on the PET scan could be melanoma. I realize it could just be inflamed, but I just want to know if it is even possible it could be melanoma that far from the 2 primary sites. 

Also – does anyone know what the radiologist needs to see in an ultrasound to suspect cancer and go ahead with the biopsy? I just like to know what he/she will be looking for. 

Thank you for any info you all may be able to provide. I tried looking for info but I am tired and my  brain is not sharp right now and I just need some help. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MoiraM
        Participant

When an expert used ultrasound on a lump behind my ear, he was quickly able to say it was a normally enlarged lymph node, probably due to some low level infection, and not a tumour. Ultrasound is really goos at showing structure – think ultrasound of uborm babies – so the expert will be looking for a absence of the normal lymph node structure.

MoiraM
          Participant

When an expert used ultrasound on a lump behind my ear, he was quickly able to say it was a normally enlarged lymph node, probably due to some low level infection, and not a tumour. Ultrasound is really goos at showing structure – think ultrasound of uborm babies – so the expert will be looking for a absence of the normal lymph node structure.

MoiraM
            Participant

Shaneswife
              Participant
                My husband just had an ultrasound and FNA and the radiologist said melanoma looks marbled when viewed by an ultrasound so they can tell pretty much if it is melanoma.
                  Christine.P
                  Participant

Thank you both for your answers. This is very helpful!

Christine.P
                    Participant

Can anyone provide insight on this part of my question? 

First, can melanoma appear in the left groin with the closest primary tumor being in the left elbow? My doctor doesn't think it can be melanoma because there is no primary tumor near my left groin. We are doing an ultrasound and posstible biopsy just to be safe. 

Just wondering about the chances this could even be melanoma due to the location of both my primary tumors and this lymph node. 

Thank you! 

Christine.P
                      Participant

Just wondering about the chances this could even be melanoma due to the location of both my primary tumors and this lymph node. 

Thank you! 

Christine.P
                        Participant

Thank you! 

jennunicorn
                          Participant

From what I have read and understand that would be really unlikely. Just doesn't really work that way as far as how the lymphs drain. Would make more sense for it to be an armpit lymph node. Pretty sure it doesn't flow down, it flows up, if you get what I mean.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

From what I have read and understand that would be really unlikely. Just doesn't really work that way as far as how the lymphs drain. Would make more sense for it to be an armpit lymph node. Pretty sure it doesn't flow down, it flows up, if you get what I mean.

Christine.P
                              Participant

Thanks, Jenn!

Christine.P
                                Participant

Thanks, Jenn!

Christine.P
                                  Participant

Thanks, Jenn!

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Christine.P
                                      Participant

Christine.P
                                        Participant

Shaneswife
                                        Participant
                                          My husband just had an ultrasound and FNA and the radiologist said melanoma looks marbled when viewed by an ultrasound so they can tell pretty much if it is melanoma.
                                          Shaneswife
                                          Participant
                                        Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics