The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Forums General Melanoma Community log in test–attn kathy

Participant

okay…so, obviously things are not fixed yet if both jerry and linda are still having problems logging in.

I know that the 'regular' members are down, but I'd like you ALL to clock IN on this topic and telL us.

If you choose STAY LOGGED IN as an option, are you staying that way? or are you having to reintroduce your information each time you open the page?

There are consequences to this.

okay…so, obviously things are not fixed yet if both jerry and linda are still having problems logging in.

I know that the 'regular' members are down, but I'd like you ALL to clock IN on this topic and telL us.

If you choose STAY LOGGED IN as an option, are you staying that way? or are you having to reintroduce your information each time you open the page?

There are consequences to this.

you may read the board if you are not logged in, but if you try to post, you may only post as anonymous, unless you log in.. You can NOT get into chat if you are not logged in.

I think MANY people are just hopping on and reading the first few topics and not replying..

so fewer and fewer people reply because they don't want to go to the trouble of logging in

and of course no one comes to chat because you cannot get there without logging in.

please log in long enough to tell if this is an issue for you.

DO YOU HAVE TO LOG IN EVERY TIME YOU VISIT? OR IS THE SITE SAVING THAT AS A PREFERENCE FOR YOU?

Viewing 27 reply threads
    • Replies
        LV
        Participant

I choose to stay logged in, and it is now keeping me that way, although I did have trouble for a while.

Thanks for cracking the whip on us a bit. I think your assessment is right on target.

LV
          Participant

I choose to stay logged in, and it is now keeping me that way, although I did have trouble for a while.

Thanks for cracking the whip on us a bit. I think your assessment is right on target.

Bonnie Lea
            Participant

when I shut OFF my computer (like at the end of my day)  the next day I have to log on.  It holds my password but does not hold the little box where it is  'remember me aspect'  So I click the log in and get here.  I used to be able just to click on my own icon for mpip and voila I would be ready and able to go.

I have tried chat several times,  talked to myself or a few times I went there when I saw a name of someone I know, and to my amazement they were not truly there.  so I would hang around talk to myself, then leave.  Have not chatted like we used to in eons.

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
              Participant

when I shut OFF my computer (like at the end of my day)  the next day I have to log on.  It holds my password but does not hold the little box where it is  'remember me aspect'  So I click the log in and get here.  I used to be able just to click on my own icon for mpip and voila I would be ready and able to go.

I have tried chat several times,  talked to myself or a few times I went there when I saw a name of someone I know, and to my amazement they were not truly there.  so I would hang around talk to myself, then leave.  Have not chatted like we used to in eons.

Bonnie Lea

DonW
                Participant

I have a windows pc. If I use Internet Explorer and check the box, I stay logged in between sessions. If I use Firefox, I do not stay logged in once I close the browser and have to log in for each session. It would be good to get this fixed for good because it does effect the community in a negative way if members can't stay logged in.

DonW
                  Participant

I have a windows pc. If I use Internet Explorer and check the box, I stay logged in between sessions. If I use Firefox, I do not stay logged in once I close the browser and have to log in for each session. It would be good to get this fixed for good because it does effect the community in a negative way if members can't stay logged in.

jag
                    Participant

I use google chrome and have the same issue as Bonnie, I still think the new board is easier.  No more code to enter everytime you post.  Log in once and thats it.

Bonnie Lea
                        Participant

Oh that code…..  I rarely got it right the first second or third time.  Sometimes my earlid doesnt help me out with clarity.  So I def do not miss that aspect of logging in.  My system is IMAC and browser of choice is Firefox (but the same happens when I use Safari)

Bonnie Lea
                          Participant

Oh that code…..  I rarely got it right the first second or third time.  Sometimes my earlid doesnt help me out with clarity.  So I def do not miss that aspect of logging in.  My system is IMAC and browser of choice is Firefox (but the same happens when I use Safari)

jag
                          Participant

I use google chrome and have the same issue as Bonnie, I still think the new board is easier.  No more code to enter everytime you post.  Log in once and thats it.

W.
                            Participant

My browser is Opera (on Windows). For me, permanent login always works without problems.

W.
                              Participant

My browser is Opera (on Windows). For me, permanent login always works without problems.

Jackie W
                                Participant

Diane, this computer dummy stays logged in.  I can shut off my computer and when I turn it on again i'm logged in.  I'm on Internet Explorer.

Jackie W

Jackie W
                                  Participant

Diane, this computer dummy stays logged in.  I can shut off my computer and when I turn it on again i'm logged in.  I'm on Internet Explorer.

Jackie W

Janner
                                    Participant

Last week, I couldn't login at all.  Since then, I was able to login and have stayed logged in until this morning.  To reply here, I had to login again.

Janner

LizzM
                                        Participant

Sometimes I stay logged in and sometimes I don't. Really no rhyme or reason to it.

And I can't reply at all unless I am logged in….not even anonymously.

~~Liz

LizzM
                                          Participant

Sometimes I stay logged in and sometimes I don't. Really no rhyme or reason to it.

And I can't reply at all unless I am logged in….not even anonymously.

~~Liz

Janner
                                          Participant

Last week, I couldn't login at all.  Since then, I was able to login and have stayed logged in until this morning.  To reply here, I had to login again.

Janner

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                            Participant

I'm not sure about IE.  I'm trying it now.  The site looks different in IE.  No boxes/links for login/subscribe just text with no links (in message if not logged in first). It does not work correctly in Firefox.

I'm with the others on the effects this has had on the community,  it's splintered drastically.  While we don't have to put the code in the reply we can't easily see the new replies.  It's a very difficult system and a very poor implementation but it sure is pretty.

The chat is so cumbersome it might as well be taken off line.

It's my opinion that there is not much interest in maintaining the old community and users as the turnover will be replaced by new patients/caregivers.  I don't think the dedicated core will leave, but there are a number of folks who just don't come here anymore who were benefiting from the community.  A changing user community also brings a new group of potential donors.  I think I caught a bad case of cynical over these changes.

Just my humble opinion.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                              Participant

I'm not sure about IE.  I'm trying it now.  The site looks different in IE.  No boxes/links for login/subscribe just text with no links (in message if not logged in first). It does not work correctly in Firefox.

I'm with the others on the effects this has had on the community,  it's splintered drastically.  While we don't have to put the code in the reply we can't easily see the new replies.  It's a very difficult system and a very poor implementation but it sure is pretty.

The chat is so cumbersome it might as well be taken off line.

It's my opinion that there is not much interest in maintaining the old community and users as the turnover will be replaced by new patients/caregivers.  I don't think the dedicated core will leave, but there are a number of folks who just don't come here anymore who were benefiting from the community.  A changing user community also brings a new group of potential donors.  I think I caught a bad case of cynical over these changes.

Just my humble opinion.

Jerry from Cape Cod

molly
                                                Participant

I am staying logged in…..using Google Chrome. And I like the "fix" where the page is automatically coming up to the posts now.

molly

molly
                                                  Participant

I am staying logged in…..using Google Chrome. And I like the "fix" where the page is automatically coming up to the posts now.

molly

kwahlbin

I really appreciate everyone's feedback!  It seems like it is now working for almost everyone.  I continue to test this daily on a variety of platforms and it seems to be fixed.  I would appreciate it if you do have problems to let me know.  Please note what browser you are using and the version of that browser.  This will help us identify the problems easier.  You can email me by clicking on my username or if you submit feedback on the bulletin board using the contact form.

I am now working on trying to make chat a bit easier to use and to fix the main complaints that I have heard.  If you do have specific feedback on things you would like to see changed please let me know.  Our goal is to do as much as we can for the community so that you can easily communicate with others.

I appreciate everyone's patience and feedback while we work through issues.

Best,

Kathy

kwahlbin

I really appreciate everyone's feedback!  It seems like it is now working for almost everyone.  I continue to test this daily on a variety of platforms and it seems to be fixed.  I would appreciate it if you do have problems to let me know.  Please note what browser you are using and the version of that browser.  This will help us identify the problems easier.  You can email me by clicking on my username or if you submit feedback on the bulletin board using the contact form.

I am now working on trying to make chat a bit easier to use and to fix the main complaints that I have heard.  If you do have specific feedback on things you would like to see changed please let me know.  Our goal is to do as much as we can for the community so that you can easily communicate with others.

I appreciate everyone's patience and feedback while we work through issues.

Best,

Kathy

BethA in VA
                                                        Participant

I had to change my username from BethA to BethA in VA (when registering it said BethA was already taken – it was, by me!!)  Now I have to login each time I get on this site.  I haven't conquered this site yet, but I don't want to loose the connection to the people on this site, so I keep trying.   BethA in VA

BethA in VA
                                                          Participant

I had to change my username from BethA to BethA in VA (when registering it said BethA was already taken – it was, by me!!)  Now I have to login each time I get on this site.  I haven't conquered this site yet, but I don't want to loose the connection to the people on this site, so I keep trying.   BethA in VA

DonW
                                                            Participant

It looks like I am now able to stay logged in between sessions in Firefox (ver 3.6.10), so it seems the problem has been fixed. There are still a couple of things I don't like about the new format. I don't think the ablitlity to reply to individual posts is a good idea, as new replies are then scattered tthougout the thread, making them nearly impossible to find if the thread is long. I reply only by using the link that is below all the replies (outside the "box") so my reply always shows up at the bottom of the thread. I think this is the way it should work by default. Also, I don't like the way a long thread moves on to additional pages. This just complicates the task of following the thread and I certainly don't see any benefit of it. I think eash thread should just continue down one page. A button that took you to the latest post (vbulletin works this way) would be a good idea. I find long threads are hard to follow because the replies being scattered anywhere along the thread and the moving back and forth between multiple pages of a long thread is very tedious.

LizzM
                                                                Participant

I agree with Don. I have trouble figuring out which posts are the new posts without having to read them all over again. This takes too much time so I usually give up. Is there any way to somehow mark the posts as new when we open the thread? I believe we are losing/have lost many oldtimers who have a wealth of wisdom to share because of the cumbersome board.

dian in spokane
                                                                  Participant

I'm still using the 'who's online' as a kind of guide to this problem..if that makes sense.

Last night over at the 'who's online' sign, it said '110 users..99visitors, 11 members' This morning it says '61 visitors and 10 members'

But last month, I'm pretty sure those figures were reversed. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But am I right that all of those 61 visitors that are readig this morning are NOT logged in right? That's what makes them 'visitors' instead of 'members' It seens weird that we would consistantly have more visitors than members when you really must log in in order to see which threads have new messages, or to post with your name, or to visit chat.

I have to think that a mess of those 'visitors' are really members who are just tired of having to log in every time they open the site. But that means that theiir time here is certainly not optimal, since they can't contribute unless they log in.

It's obviously a sticky problem if it's working for some and not others, and I'm glad Kathy is working on it, but I'd like EVERYONE who is a regular member to tell her what she needs to know so we can get it squared away.

dian

Bonnie Lea
                                                                    Participant

ok  I always wondered about that 'who's on line'  right nnow it shows 69 members and 59 visitors.   However

when I start up the computer in the morning, I must log on.  I do not have to put my password in but the check mark for 'remember me'  always goes blank and I must  'login'    For the rrest of the day all is ok for log in stuff, but if for any reason power shut down  computer off and restart I must again do the login and check that box.

I cannot follow threads much and miss so much the thing is done before I get there.  (just thought I was slow)  however, therre now I have added my bit.

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                                                                      Participant

ok  I always wondered about that 'who's on line'  right nnow it shows 69 members and 59 visitors.   However

when I start up the computer in the morning, I must log on.  I do not have to put my password in but the check mark for 'remember me'  always goes blank and I must  'login'    For the rrest of the day all is ok for log in stuff, but if for any reason power shut down  computer off and restart I must again do the login and check that box.

I cannot follow threads much and miss so much the thing is done before I get there.  (just thought I was slow)  however, therre now I have added my bit.

Bonnie Lea

W.
                                                                        Participant

On typical websites 90% of users are lurkers (i.e., read or observe, but don't contribute). 

On the other hand I'm not sure whether MPIP is a typical website…

Bonnie Lea
                                                                          Participant

hahah  nope we def are not  a normal website…..  Maybe this is just my thoughts, but if I did not have any type of cancer I doubt I would be hovering in a cancer message board.  Hope that vistors are folks who are searching for a great place to learn and to be.  I do miss the way before…I have ended up trying to remember to check off the part about letting me know when a certain thread is responded to…if I did not do that, I bet I would miss more than I do now.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                                                                            Participant

hahah  nope we def are not  a normal website…..  Maybe this is just my thoughts, but if I did not have any type of cancer I doubt I would be hovering in a cancer message board.  Hope that vistors are folks who are searching for a great place to learn and to be.  I do miss the way before…I have ended up trying to remember to check off the part about letting me know when a certain thread is responded to…if I did not do that, I bet I would miss more than I do now.

Bonnie

W.
                                                                              Participant

On typical websites 90% of users are lurkers (i.e., read or observe, but don't contribute). 

On the other hand I'm not sure whether MPIP is a typical website…

dian in spokane
                                                                                Participant

I'm still using the 'who's online' as a kind of guide to this problem..if that makes sense.

Last night over at the 'who's online' sign, it said '110 users..99visitors, 11 members' This morning it says '61 visitors and 10 members'

But last month, I'm pretty sure those figures were reversed. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But am I right that all of those 61 visitors that are readig this morning are NOT logged in right? That's what makes them 'visitors' instead of 'members' It seens weird that we would consistantly have more visitors than members when you really must log in in order to see which threads have new messages, or to post with your name, or to visit chat.

I have to think that a mess of those 'visitors' are really members who are just tired of having to log in every time they open the site. But that means that theiir time here is certainly not optimal, since they can't contribute unless they log in.

It's obviously a sticky problem if it's working for some and not others, and I'm glad Kathy is working on it, but I'd like EVERYONE who is a regular member to tell her what she needs to know so we can get it squared away.

dian

LizzM
                                                                                  Participant

I agree with Don. I have trouble figuring out which posts are the new posts without having to read them all over again. This takes too much time so I usually give up. Is there any way to somehow mark the posts as new when we open the thread? I believe we are losing/have lost many oldtimers who have a wealth of wisdom to share because of the cumbersome board.

DonW
                                                                                  Participant

It looks like I am now able to stay logged in between sessions in Firefox (ver 3.6.10), so it seems the problem has been fixed. There are still a couple of things I don't like about the new format. I don't think the ablitlity to reply to individual posts is a good idea, as new replies are then scattered tthougout the thread, making them nearly impossible to find if the thread is long. I reply only by using the link that is below all the replies (outside the "box") so my reply always shows up at the bottom of the thread. I think this is the way it should work by default. Also, I don't like the way a long thread moves on to additional pages. This just complicates the task of following the thread and I certainly don't see any benefit of it. I think eash thread should just continue down one page. A button that took you to the latest post (vbulletin works this way) would be a good idea. I find long threads are hard to follow because the replies being scattered anywhere along the thread and the moving back and forth between multiple pages of a long thread is very tedious.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                                                    Participant

I still have to log in every visit regardless of my selection of Keep me logged in.  Firefox 3.6.10

Jerry from Cape Cod

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                        Participant

I have the same firefox numbers.  (Mac computer)  tomorrow morning whenn I turn on the system, I will have to log into MPIP.  but it has remembered my password, just wont accept the  'remember me"

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                          Participant

I have the same firefox numbers.  (Mac computer)  tomorrow morning whenn I turn on the system, I will have to log into MPIP.  but it has remembered my password, just wont accept the  'remember me"

Bonnie Lea

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                                                                          Participant

I still have to log in every visit regardless of my selection of Keep me logged in.  Firefox 3.6.10

Jerry from Cape Cod

DonW
                                                                                            Participant

Bonnie — It's your computer's 'auto fill' that remembers your password, not the web site. Jerry — We have the same browser, but the problem is fixed for me and I now stay logged in between sessions. Do you have cookies disabled by any chance?

DonW
                                                                                              Participant

Bonnie — It's your computer's 'auto fill' that remembers your password, not the web site. Jerry — We have the same browser, but the problem is fixed for me and I now stay logged in between sessions. Do you have cookies disabled by any chance?

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics