The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

LDH Significance

Forums General Melanoma Community LDH Significance

Participant

Hi all-

Latest news on my front is LDH has skyrocketed on last blood test. MDA uses different ranges, I believe around 330-620. My LDH came back at 2558! I called my onc down in Houston. He agreed my LDH has been up & down. Last time it was high was right before cell infusion. Then it came down significantly. He stated there can be various reasons of it being elevated. Once again, I'm so disappointed. Has anyone with elevated LDH exhibited symptoms? Are you more fatigued etc?? Physically I wouldn't say I'm a 100% but I don't feel horrible other than mentally. Especially since I asked if there's progression at scans in 2 weeks, what is next step. Looking at doing TIL if need be in January, it's all overwhelming. 

Josh

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Joshie,

I have no personal experience to share.  Just remember that LDH can increase for MANY reasons and there is such a thing as lab error.  Perhaps they should repeat your labs???  Mostly, just wanted to give you a hug and say hang in there!!!  c

Bubbles
          Participant

Hey Joshie,

I have no personal experience to share.  Just remember that LDH can increase for MANY reasons and there is such a thing as lab error.  Perhaps they should repeat your labs???  Mostly, just wanted to give you a hug and say hang in there!!!  c

Bubbles
            Participant

Hey Joshie,

JoshF
                Participant

Thanks Celeste…I do blood work every weekend did it yesterday. I'm scared to look at results.

JoshF
                  Participant

Thanks Celeste…I do blood work every weekend did it yesterday. I'm scared to look at results.

JoshF
                    Participant

Jubes
                    Participant

Hi josh

my neighbour who also has melanoma has a very high LDH but has nothing showing on his pet. He is on nivo/ipi and is NED   The only thing is that he seems to not be able to put on much weight. Otherwise a little tired. He is doing really well after having had multiple mets even in bones

hope the level is Judy a swing. 

Best wishes

anne-Louise 

Jubes
                      Participant

Hi josh

my neighbour who also has melanoma has a very high LDH but has nothing showing on his pet. He is on nivo/ipi and is NED   The only thing is that he seems to not be able to put on much weight. Otherwise a little tired. He is doing really well after having had multiple mets even in bones

Best wishes

anne-Louise 

Jubes
                        Participant

Hi josh

Best wishes

anne-Louise 

Mat
                          Participant

Josh, LDH is a marker for inflammation.  The onc's do not view it as indicative of progression for patients on treatment, particularly ipi.  My LDH has been up and down since I've been Stage IV.  My recollection is that it was normal both times I progressed.

JoshF
                              Participant

Appreciate the message Mat. LDH being elevated is relatively new to me as it became elevated in Sept for first time. Hope you're well!

JoshF
                                Participant

Appreciate the message Mat. LDH being elevated is relatively new to me as it became elevated in Sept for first time. Hope you're well!

JoshF
                                  Participant

Mat
                                  Participant

Josh, LDH is a marker for inflammation.  The onc's do not view it as indicative of progression for patients on treatment, particularly ipi.  My LDH has been up and down since I've been Stage IV.  My recollection is that it was normal both times I progressed.

Mat
                                    Participant

Scooby123
                                      Participant

Hi Josh

my consultant said to me regarding LDH levels was that they can change for different reasons and that he would not go on just that result for how well treatment is working. So hang in my friend and sending lots of hugs.

Scooby

JoshF
                                          Participant

Thanks Scooby. My onc said it could be a number of things…just have to hang in there until scans in 2 weeks.

JoshF
                                            Participant

Thanks Scooby. My onc said it could be a number of things…just have to hang in there until scans in 2 weeks.

JoshF
                                              Participant

Scooby123
                                              Participant

Hi Josh

my consultant said to me regarding LDH levels was that they can change for different reasons and that he would not go on just that result for how well treatment is working. So hang in my friend and sending lots of hugs.

Scooby

Scooby123
                                                Participant

Hi Josh

Scooby

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Hi Josh,

My husband was going feeling really good thinking the cancer and everything was gone.  He went for scans in Oct. 2010 and they found that it had spread to his liver, lungs and an unresectable tumor up at the top of his spine.  When they did the blood test his LDH was about 1300.  So he was feeling great and the news was quite a shock to him.  All of this happened before the clinical trial and as he was going through the clinical trial the LDH dropped down to the normal range.

But he said it was because of the liver and other causes could contribute to it.

Hopefully yours is because of other reason.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 4.5 years)

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Hi Josh,

My husband was going feeling really good thinking the cancer and everything was gone.  He went for scans in Oct. 2010 and they found that it had spread to his liver, lungs and an unresectable tumor up at the top of his spine.  When they did the blood test his LDH was about 1300.  So he was feeling great and the news was quite a shock to him.  All of this happened before the clinical trial and as he was going through the clinical trial the LDH dropped down to the normal range.

But he said it was because of the liver and other causes could contribute to it.

Gene_S
                                                      Participant

Hi Josh,

JoshF
                                                          Participant

Thanks Judy…I wish my LDH was headed in right direction. I know Gene had amazing response to ipi. I initially did as well in 2013…only lasted 2 years.

JoshF
                                                            Participant

Thanks Judy…I wish my LDH was headed in right direction. I know Gene had amazing response to ipi. I initially did as well in 2013…only lasted 2 years.

JoshF
                                                              Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics